Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painted bumpers

Josephsprairie

Reaction score
Just bought a new 3500 with painted bumpers. I live in an area where we get snow, first drive out on the highway today and my front bumper looks like ****. It’s so full of paint chips that it looks like someone shot it with buckshot! Never had a problem with any of my other Rams with the crome bumpers... wtf?

mcgyver44

Reaction score
I’ve wondered why you would want a painted bumper. To me it’s a truck not a car or SUV. As such your bumper is bound to see some abuse if you are using it for work, getting in the woods, etc. Seems counterintuitive to me to call a painted bumper a “Sport Package” but it obviously sells so what do I know.

Pronto

Reaction score
I would go with a painted bumper if they held up like a chrome bumper but they don't, so I don't.

Josephsprairie

Reaction score
I’ve wondered why you would want a painted bumper. To me it’s a truck not a car or SUV. As such your bumper is bound to see some abuse if you are using it for work, getting in the woods, etc. Seems counterintuitive to me to call a painted bumper a “Sport Package” but it obviously sells so what do I know.
As I said before I have never had a painted bumper before, it looked nice when I first got it. Didn’t think much of it when I bought it.
Thanks for your opinion but was hoping that someone else would comment on if Ram is covering the paint or something?

jeffn

Reaction score
Just bought a new 3500 with painted bumpers. I live in an area where we get snow, first drive out on the highway today and my front bumper looks like ****. It’s so full of paint chips that it looks like someone shot it with buckshot! Never had a problem with any of my other Rams with the crome bumpers... wtf?
sorry to hear. I drove through the ice and snow storm in Oklahoma and Texas 3 (?) weeks ago. A couple hundred miles of snow and plows laying down sand. My bumper still looks new. Maybe you should talk with your dealer.

Josephsprairie

Reaction score
sorry to hear. I drove through the ice and snow storm in Oklahoma and Texas 3 (?) weeks ago. A couple hundred miles of snow and plows laying down sand. My bumper still looks new. Maybe you should talk with your dealer.
Oh I will be!

woody284

Reaction score
If you repair it or the dealer happens to take care of you. Take it somewhere and have them put the clear paint protection film over it. Some people here and other forums even do their whole hood as well. Just a thought to keep the look vs going chrome.

SBookless

Reaction score
I have had my truck for a year. 53,000 miles. I have one paint chip from a rock on the highway in my front bumper. Very minor, I will use a touch up pen to help prevent rust.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
My old 98 with the sport package had painted bumpers. It looked great 9 years later when I sold it despite it getting wheeled a lot. I asked my paint and body guy about the paint on the new vehicles. He said the paint used on the new trucks sucks compared to the old paints. He will paint my front bumper for less than $200 so that is my ace in the hole.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
My '04 Ram 2500 has painted bumpers. Like my '20, it's white, and it looks like somebody shot it with buckshot. My '20 Bighorn has painted bumpers. Not what I'd have chosen with more choices, but everything else was right, so.... I'm figuring out what to do to protect it. I live in the Pittsburgh PA area, so there's a ton of salt, ash, road debris, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread