Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P242F

• Thread starter Deleted member 21465
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21465

I joined this forum last week when I got the dreaded P242F code. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Diesel Particulate Filter gauge. This is my third 6.7 cummins engine and out of the almost 200k total miles on three trucks I've driven this was the first time I got a code. When I got my 2020 2500 I did see the addition of the gauge while my last truck was a 2017 that I traded in with 70k miles it did not have the gauge. Every time I scrolled through the gauges my DPF gauge always showed 0% so I never thought much of it. I used to drive 400 miles every Sunday for years as I prepared for retirement. I purchased a home in the country and had been doing updates to the home as well as maintenance since I have five acres to maintain. Now that I've retired I drive maybe 500 miles a month to the store and town for quick trips. After three days of sub freezing weather a couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase some AGM batteries for my truck as my 2017 batteries died right at 2 years and being in the country and my only other mode of transportation is a stupid fast motorcycle and my John Deere commercial Ztrak I'm the guy that does everything before it's needed to avoid issues. I ordered the two batteries from a local company and when they arrived at the end of the three day freeze I drove to town to pick them up. On my way to town I got the regeneration message for the first time that I can remember seeing it and within a few seconds it said reduced power see dealer. When I got home I plugged in a little scanner I had and got the P242F code but was unable to clear it. I came to this site and found a TSB posted by Brutal HO and on the following monday contacted my local dealer. The truck had just passed the 37,00 mile mark and had never been to a dealership as I change my own oil and filters. The dealer did clear the code and did the TSB update and didn't charge me anything but I want to avoid the code in the future.

My question is how many people have gotten the code and does it happen when these trucks are used for short commutes mainly? My gauge has never shown anything but 0% when I checked it but since they did the update and a week has passed when I checked it today I noticed my gauge was between 0% and the first mark or I would assume 25% on my gauge so12%. When your truck goes into regeneration mode do you always get the message or do you only get the message while in the DPF gauge screen? I understand there are sensors in the exhaust so it can determine the amount of restriction in the exhaust and that the DPF and regeneration is based off the amount of pressure differential.

Thanks in advance for your time,

IMG_9263.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You only get the message on the dpf screen, its not common and in your case when you get the regen message keep driving till it clears just because of your short trips it will help complete the regen, i also have only ever seen my gauge move once but i have no issues and i run my truck rather hard

Cali_Cummins

Reaction score
I joined this forum last week when I got the dreaded P242F code. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Diesel Particulate Filter gauge. This is my third 6.7 cummins engine and out of the almost 200k total miles on three trucks I've driven this was the first time I got a code. When I got my 2020 2500 I did see the addition of the gauge while my last truck was a 2017 that I traded in with 70k miles it did not have the gauge. Every time I scrolled through the gauges my DPF gauge always showed 0% so I never thought much of it. I used to drive 400 miles every Sunday for years as I prepared for retirement. I purchased a home in the country and had been doing updates to the home as well as maintenance since I have five acres to maintain. Now that I've retired I drive maybe 500 miles a month to the store and town for quick trips. After three days of sub freezing weather a couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase some AGM batteries for my truck as my 2017 batteries died right at 2 years and being in the country and my only other mode of transportation is a stupid fast motorcycle and my John Deere commercial Ztrak I'm the guy that does everything before it's needed to avoid issues. I ordered the two batteries from a local company and when they arrived at the end of the three day freeze I drove to town to pick them up. On my way to town I got the regeneration message for the first time that I can remember seeing it and within a few seconds it said reduced power see dealer. When I got home I plugged in a little scanner I had and got the P242F code but was unable to clear it. I came to this site and found a TSB posted by Brutal HO and on the following monday contacted my local dealer. The truck had just passed the 37,00 mile mark and had never been to a dealership as I change my own oil and filters. The dealer did clear the code and did the TSB update and didn't charge me anything but I want to avoid the code in the future.

My question is how many people have gotten the code and does it happen when these trucks are used for short commutes mainly? My gauge has never shown anything but 0% when I checked it but since they did the update and a week has passed when I checked it today I noticed my gauge was between 0% and the first mark or I would assume 25% on my gauge so12%. When your truck goes into regeneration mode do you always get the message or do you only get the message while in the DPF gauge screen? I understand there are sensors in the exhaust so it can determine the amount of restriction in the exhaust and that the DPF and regeneration is based off the amount of pressure differential.

Thanks in advance for your time,

View attachment 33438
What is the TSB posted by BrutalHO

Users who are viewing this thread