Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P0402 and p0234 codes after Banks CAI

INTERCEPTER.1

Reaction score
2020 Ram 3500 6.7 standard output. I have read a bunch about the P0402 code after installing the intake, however I can find almost nothing related to the P0234 code, overboost condition. This is the one that is affecting my driving. If I hook up and try to tow my 40' 5th wheel, every slight grade causes the wastegate to constantly dump and I'm losing power and the truck bucks like crazy. I am leaving on a trip towing from MA to FL in a few weeks and would love to figure out why this is happening. If not I guess im going back to stock. I also have the monster Ram not installed yet which now I am nervous to install. Thoughts? I'm scratching my head. Banks also says this code is new to them. Thanks

Riddick

Reaction score
The stock ECU parameters will trip a code if they detect additional air flow, some trucks are more sensitive to this compared to others. If you are dead set on keeping this air intake I would reprogram your ECU from a company like Calibrate Power. If I were you I would first double check all your connections on your intake but also all of your charge pipes, look for loose clamps and make sure all of your couplers are secured. If everything checks out but you keep getting codes and you do not want to tune your truck I would put it back to stock and sell your air intake. As for the monster ram intake manifold I have not heard of this causing any codes, people opt for this to mainly relocate the grid heater as there is no data supporting performance gains.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Contact banks as their support is beyond impressive and they may offer some insight as well.

I have the CAI and intake and have 0 issues.

INTERCEPTER.1

Reaction score
I have talked to Banks a few times. They are, as you know, "working on a fix" for the P0402 code. However they claim im the only one theyve heard of having the overboost condition. They had nothing to offer other than return to stock and wait for a fix. They also opted to give me a full refund on the intake. The later may be the answer but I love the added sound and appearance of better air flow.

Ngrgs42

Reaction score
I had it happen on February 14th this year, it also happen when I was towing my 34ft 5th whee as well in a canon area at dusk, the hose clamps at the turbo got a little loose from the heat cycles before from normal driving and long drive while towing, this would allow secondary air in at the turbo which would throw the code, like Riddick said check the hose clamps and retighten all hose clamps which will fix the issue just remind yourself to retighten the clamps before any long towing trips. I am also running the banks ram air intake on my 2022 Ram HO 3500, with 2 banks i-dashes and the pedal monster.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Contact banks as their support is beyond impressive and they may offer some insight as well.

Good luck with that Lol, they just want to sell product. Everyone that has contacted them about this issue has been blown off.

OP, go back to you stock intake, there is no benefit to adding the banks CAI. Your stock is a CAI and flows more then enough air (this has been dyno proven)

oledirteh

Reaction score
i will stand by them when it comes to support. My buddy bought the derringer setup for his ecoboost and it was great for him. then they did the CP recall and it caused all types of issues. He went back and forth for a day or two and they refunded him the full purchase price on the unit (800-950) not sure on exact price and let him keep the unit for when they update the software.

But either way, id worth with them and or go back to stock. mines working fine.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
2020 Ram 3500 6.7 standard output. I have read a bunch about the P0402 code after installing the intake, however I can find almost nothing related to the P0234 code, overboost condition. This is the one that is affecting my driving. If I hook up and try to tow my 40' 5th wheel, every slight grade causes the wastegate to constantly dump and I'm losing power and the truck bucks like crazy. I am leaving on a trip towing from MA to FL in a few weeks and would love to figure out why this is happening. If not I guess im going back to stock. I also have the monster Ram not installed yet which now I am nervous to install. Thoughts? I'm scratching my head. Banks also says this code is new to them. Thanks
Code P0234 is usually triggered when your vehicle’s powertrain control module detects that the boost pressure in the forced induction system is too high. Possible triggers of the P0234 code include: Wastegate that’s stuck closed, bent wastegate actuator rod, damaged wastegate solenoid, Incorrect wastegate adjustment. Wiring or connector issues, Faulty boost sensor, failed turbocharger Faulty BARO/MAP sensor, Exhaust restriction, or PCM concerns, such as an update to your software. Regrettably we cannot diagnose the exact cause and would highly advise continued work with your dealership for all related repairs. If desired, send us a private message with additional detail of your experience, we'd like to see how we may assist further.

Chris,
Ram Cares

INTERCEPTER.1

Reaction score
I put my stock intake back on because I'm pulling my 5th wheel to FL in less than a week. So I made some observations with the 2 intakes on. Before uninstalling the Banks CAI I drove around with the boost gage display on. Unladen from a stop at hard throttle I was getting between 11-14 lbs boost. Now with the stock intake back on I'm getting 17-20 under the same conditions. For whatever reason the Banks is causing an under boost condition, not overboost like I thought. The ECM must be doing some calculations and it's not allowing the turbo to spool like it should be. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread