Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating at times and no cabin heat

TrailMedic

Reaction score
Question for the brain trust.... I have an 2012 3500 6.7L diesel. A while ago it started overheating momentarily and loosing cabin heat. Sounds like low fluid? filled radiator and reservoir, bled properly, and it kept doing it. I took it in to my local shop who has a Cummings 'expert' who ran a lot of testing...compression, head gasket, pressure test...all good. They replaced the thermostat and called it good. Drove well for about a month before it started doing it again. Took it in again, more of same testing all good again, replaced the radiator cap...'that should fix the problem'...well it got to 220 on the way home WITHOUT cabin heat, but then back to 190-200 and cabin heat came on (is this the point where the new thermostat failed, and now stuck open?)
They did mention a 'pinhole' leak in the reservoir...but that would not cause it to overheat/no cabin heat on the way home from the shop. Since then, it has been driving fine but taking a while to warm up , and likes to run 180-190 (too low? new thermostat stuck open?), but I do have cabin heat. Ran well until yesterday...on the highway at steady 65 mph, cabin heat warm...started noticing cold air, then temp went from 190 to RED within 60 sec, by the time I pulled over, went back to 200 and ran the rest of the short drive at 200 with cabin heat. couldn't have been more than 2 min of terror, but UGH. Coolant reservoir now way past the Full mark at cold...not returning to radiator

Questions:
1. there seems to be a connection between no cabin heat and the overheating. While this would indicate low fluid, it has done this with freshly bled system. Does the hot water to the heater core need the thermostat open? before the problem started, I seem to recall getting a little hot air while the engine warmed up. And it seems that in all other vehicles, you get a little warm air while heating up to the thermostat opening.
2. On the drive yesterday..up to RED and back loosing cabin heat within 2 minutes. I have always thought of this being a mechanical system, but water isn't going to heat up and cool down that fast...can there be an electrical but in the system? However, there was radiator blow off from the radiator cap when I got to my destination...so I will assume that there was extra pressure in the cap for those 2 minutes, but what about the rapid spike?
3. With the reservoir coolant seemingly not returning, other posts would indicate a bad head gasket....They have tested for this twice!

I'm going to replace the reservoir myself, as the pinhole leak that doesn't cause it to fail a pressure test, might be loosing more while driving.
But , there have been enough problems when fully bled and topped off it can't be just the reservoir.

If you've made it this far through a long post...BLESS YOU and thanks. Any input will be greatly appreciated before returning to the local shop.

flan

Reaction score
Is your truck stock with all emission equipment intact?

Enve46

Reaction score
This is a tricky one. From what I gathered it can be difficult to diagnose a head gasket in these, although I think you'd see other issues. Sounds like you're losing circulation momentarily which would make me think water pump.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You should have a 200° thermostat in a 2012. Sounds like a waterpump issue for sure but for it to be intermittent is odd, how old is the belt and how does it look, i would be almost thinking the belt is slipping on the water pump for some reason. Pumps are cheap i would change it anyway. If your cap allowed fluid to leak it is not sealing properly because any extra pressure should be bleeding off to the overflow tank

TrailMedic

Reaction score
Thanks all...the water pump was checked, but not replaced, and the belt was replaced 10/23 at first visit. I have just ordered a new Mopar coolant reservoir to see if the pinhole leak might be letting air in when the reservoir is low.
it is going back to the shop at some point...I might just have them replace the water pump as a preventative.
Thanks again!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks all...the water pump was checked, but not replaced, and the belt was replaced 10/23 at first visit. I have just ordered a new Mopar coolant reservoir to see if the pinhole leak might be letting air in when the reservoir is low.
it is going back to the shop at some point...I might just have them replace the water pump as a preventative.
Thanks again!
The reservoir wont fix anything but the leak, you don't have a pressure tank just a glorified overflow bottle. Even if low you would not suck in enough air to be harmful to the system

flan

Reaction score
Been thru this before , I’d of given ya the answer if you replied to post #3...

TrailMedic

Reaction score
Been thru this before , I’d of given ya the answer if you replied to post #3...
Flan, my apologies, I have been trying to deal with work , flooded pastures, and a wife away on a business trip. I honestly missed #3. No, the PO deleted some stuff... forgive my ignorance, but something near the thermostat, and the shop said EGR was deleted

flan

Reaction score
Ok I’ve had egr cooler give me your problem but seems that was deleted it sounds like. Can you post pics of the passenger side of your engine so we can confirm?

Riddick

Reaction score
It could be air in the system, I know you said you properly bled it but these system are sensitive to air. I would check again to make sure its bled properly. I installed a heater core bypass on my truck when I first got it and it took 3-4 drive cycles to get all of the air out of the system. After each drive once the engine cooled I would go out and remove the cap to let the air out. After a few cycles my engine coolant leveled out and its been fine since.

As mentioned above if your EGR cooler is still on your truck this very well could be your issue. Curious if the PO actually removed it or unplugged it?

TrailMedic

Reaction score
Ok I’ve had egr cooler give me your problem but seems that was deleted it sounds like. Can you post pics of the passenger side of your engine so we can confirm?
Here is left and right. Thanks again everyone!

Also….after the last trip when it overheated, I let it sit for a couple days. The overflow reservoir was very full. Shouldn’t this have drained back to the radiator? I removed the radiator cap and there was just a little pressure remaining, but no return of fluid from the overflow reservoir

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    718 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    701.5 KB · Views: 12

flan

Reaction score
Here is left and right. Thanks again everyone!

Also….after the last trip when it overheated, I let it sit for a couple days. The overflow reservoir was very full. Shouldn’t this have drained back to the radiator? I removed the radiator cap and there was just a little pressure remaining, but no return of fluid from the overflow reservoir
So the part that gave me your symptoms has been removed. The mystery continues.

Enve46

Reaction score
I’m still suspecting water pump, belt slipping or maybe air pocket, or combo of those things. The loss of heat would make me believe lack of circulation

Users who are viewing this thread