Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over the air updates

mjlebsa

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with getting over the air updates? Dealer has had my Ram, for a week now, & can’t get it figured out. Star case opened & all they tell me is they don’t know but”might” have it narrowed down to one of the two antennas in the truck. They say the “engineers” are “having us unplug this and that and driving it to get a signal,” but all to no prevail. The dealer won’t give me a loaner because “Ram did away with it.” Yet, they have no idea how long they’re going to have my truck.

What happens if I can’t get updates? I’m about to go get my truck & say the hell with it. I’m beyond angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainears

Reaction score
It can be manually updated via usb. Are there problems you are having that a particular update solves? What version is needed?

Hootmonn

Reaction score
Yeah no OTA updates here since September told to take it to a dealership on the front range 60 miles away glad I didn’t after hearing this. Great truck but could never recommend the junk UConnect 5.

mjlebsa

Reaction score
It can be manually updated via usb. Are there problems you are having that a particular update solves? What version is needed?

I was initially having problems with the crappy app & because the rearview camera became fuzzy. In the process of fixing that, they discovered I was one or two versions behind on the Uconnect, so they supposedly did an update to Uconnect. So they looked into why it wasn’t receiving over the air updates and they have determined it’s possibly one of the two or both antennas are broken. But instead of just replacing them, they’re going through all of this crap of unplug this, unplug that, try this, try that. And as of my previous conversation with my service technician, there is no end in sight, and all they can do is continue looking at it.

The service advisor said the technician who is working on my truck is going in between my truck and other vehicles because he will send a message to the star case people and have to wait an hour or more to get a response back then to try what they suggested and then process continues.

Hootmonn

Reaction score
Understood I have updated several previous rams with a USB. Currently on s24.13 and there is no USB update for s26.17 and the UConnect updater via VIN shows 24.13 is current. Every issue detailed in the forum has shown up off and on. Now the damn thing doesn’t shut off after shutting off and opening the door.

mjlebsa

Reaction score
Understood I have updated several previous rams with a USB. Currently on s24.13 and there is no USB update for s26.17 and the UConnect updater via VIN shows 24.13 is current. Every issue detailed in the forum has shown up off and on. Now the damn thing doesn’t shut off after shutting off and opening the door.

Ridiculous. Ram needs to get their s@!t together.

mjlebsa

Reaction score

How do/did you get the USB?

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Our 2022 updated (it asked first) about a month ago. I don't know what the updates would do, other than update the Nav data. I let the Trial Subscription (Ram Connect?) lapse but never used any of the trial features so I'm not sure what I lost. I've always been leery of someone 2,000 miles away being able to start or unlock my truck. They probably still can whether I have the subscription or not.

If someone has a list of what I'm missing, I would appreciate it.

mjlebsa

Reaction score
Our 2022 updated (it asked first) about a month ago. I don't know what the updates would do, other than update the Nav data. I let the Trial Subscription (Ram Connect?) lapse but never used any of the trial features so I'm not sure what I lost. I've always been leery of someone 2,000 miles away being able to start or unlock my truck. They probably still can whether I have the subscription or not.

If someone has a list of what I'm missing, I would appreciate it.

I’m not sure what you’re missing. I told my dealer I was going to just say the hell with it but he said Ram pushes out critical updates. He said in 2019 there was a critical update released that resolved a dying battery issue caused by the Uconnect system. So I don’t know.

Cseybert

Reaction score
My 2022 DRW 3500 12” screen updated today to the latest version. It asked me when I was washing it.

mountainears

Reaction score
My 2022 DRW 3500 12” screen updated today to the latest version. It asked me when I was washing it.

Latest version is relative. You need to look and see what version you are on. It will just OTA update to the latest version the system tells it too, does not mean it is the latest version for the truck. Crazy, but true.

jebruns

Reaction score
I was initially having problems with the crappy app & because the rearview camera became fuzzy. In the process of fixing that, they discovered I was one or two versions behind on the Uconnect, so they supposedly did an update to Uconnect. So they looked into why it wasn’t receiving over the air updates and they have determined it’s possibly one of the two or both antennas are broken. But instead of just replacing them, they’re going through all of this crap of unplug this, unplug that, try this, try that. And as of my previous conversation with my service technician, there is no end in sight, and all they can do is continue looking at it.

The service advisor said the technician who is working on my truck is going in between my truck and other vehicles because he will send a message to the star case people and have to wait an hour or more to get a response back then to try what they suggested and then process continues.
Been there, doing that with the uConnect 5 system in our 21 Pacifica. It was at the dealer for 3 weeks with an open Star case. Same experience, lots of hurry up and wait, only one tech can do this, etc. I think they are just trying to wear us down with this, and it works. The Pacifica's uConnect is still pretty quirky, but we are not anxious to go through the process again. Wife said the other day she's ready to just buy a new uConnect system from Chrysler.

Fortunately, the uConnect 5 12" in my 22 Ram has been good so far. A couple of small quirks, but nothing major.

jebruns

Reaction score
How do/did you get the USB?

26.15 has been pretty stable on my 12" system. Couple of minor quirks, but at least as stable as the 24 version was.

Last edited:

mjlebsa

Reaction score
OP, what software version do you currently have?

When I took it to the dealership it had FCA-MY22.S24.13-PROD. They supposedly updated it, to what version I don’t know. They still have my truck, so I will know when I pick it up…God knows when that will be.

I think it should be this version. See the attached.
IMG_8852.jpg

Riddick

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the TSB for your software update. From my experience, there is no telling when your truck will decide to download the latest software versions.... its not instant. For example, I have the UC5 Non-Nav 8.4 and when new software versions have been released it has taken up to 2 months for my truck to download them. I made sure my truck was connected to my home wifi when parked but that did not make a difference. What I'm getting at is if your latest software version was released in mid Nov maybe your truck has not attempted to download the newest version. Are you receiving a fault on your radio for not being able to receive OTA updates?

If anyone can explain the process on how a truck receives OTA updates once they are released that would be awesome, I am very curious on how trucks are prioritized. It's very frustrating when there are new versions available and your truck is stuck on the older version.

mjlebsa

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the TSB for your software update. From my experience, there is no telling when your truck will decide to download the latest software versions.... its not instant. For example, I have the UC5 Non-Nav 8.4 and when new software versions have been released it has taken up to 2 months for my truck to download them. I made sure my truck was connected to my home wifi when parked but that did not make a difference. What I'm getting at is if your latest software version was released in mid Nov maybe your truck has not attempted to download the newest version. Are you receiving a fault on your radio for not being able to receive OTA updates?

If anyone can explain the process on how a truck receives OTA updates once they are released that would be awesome, I am very curious on how trucks are prioritized. It's very frustrating when there are new versions available and your truck is stuck on the older version.

I’m not getting a fault, the ram service technician discovered one of my two antennas are screwed up. Because it’s receiving no signal.

mjlebsa

Reaction score
I’m not getting a fault, the ram service technician discovered one of my two antennas are screwed up. Because it’s receiving no signal.

The service technician discovered today it’s not the antennas, supposedly, and that the Telematics Box Module (TBM) is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread