Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Order from the factory...

ChristianJS

Reaction score
Hello,
I ordered a truck from the factory, the dealer said it would be in mid December. Every time I call them now they say that it should be in any day now. But they cannot give me an exact date. Has anyone else ordered from the factory? If so how long did it take to get it? Did you get it on the delivery date or how long after? They said it has shipped, but if it has shipped how do they not know where it is, or know when it will get here. Thanks

D

Deleted member 80

In "normal times" it's roughly an 8 week process, give or take. These are not normal times.

ChristianJS

Reaction score
In "normal times" it's roughly an 8 week process, give or take. These are not normal times.
That is what I figured, because of Covid. Just wish the dealership would at least give me updates, instead of me having to called them every once in a while making sure they did not forget about it. I get it is Covid, but I want to make sure they didn't lose the truck or something.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a 1500 post thread here on truck orders. Skip towards the end to see what others are experiencing.

There are some that are upwards of 18 weeks or more.

D

Deleted member 80

Our Grand Cherokee sat for almost a month after being built, before it finally got on the train. It's a real mess.

Ostracize

Reaction score
That is what I figured, because of Covid. Just wish the dealership would at least give me updates, instead of me having to called them every once in a while making sure they did not forget about it. I get it is Covid, but I want to make sure they didn't lose the truck or something.
Go to cryptostickers.net and put your Vin in there. If it doesn't find your build sheet(when build starts) and window sticker(build complete/shipped) .... your dealer my be FOS.

If it does populate then atleast you know something concrete.

CdnHD

Reaction score
Hello,
I ordered a truck from the factory, the dealer said it would be in mid December. Every time I call them now they say that it should be in any day now. But they cannot give me an exact date. Has anyone else ordered from the factory? If so how long did it take to get it? Did you get it on the delivery date or how long after? They said it has shipped, but if it has shipped how do they not know where it is, or know when it will get here. Thanks
I have been waiting for 16 weeks and my truck has not even been started yet. 2500 cummins megacab, limited, fully optioned

bfs673

Reaction score
I have to believe much of this is on the dealer. I ordered mine in late October and picked it up on 1/6/21. I know some have experienced similar timing, while others have received nothing.

Ordered truck on 10/23. The dealership communicated the D2 status a couple of weeks after the order . Received a release date of 12/5 on 11/19 as well as the VIN.
On 12/9 dealership confirmed completion of the truck and that it was on a train with an estimated arrival date to a local yard on 12/31.

Took a bit to get the truck loaded on a transport to the dealership but picked it up on 1/6.

zsqure

Reaction score
Do you have a VIN?
Did you get a VON? if that is the term.
Once in build, you can input your vin for a build sheet.
If your dealer has slots available they can place the order for your truck, I began an order process in August with dealer #1, he quoted me jan. delivery. I contacted dealer #2, he stated 8-10 weeks. I went with #2 and he was good for his word, got the truck in 8 weeks.
If you can input your vin and get a window sticker, that means the dealer has paid for it and it has moved on to its next location, or is being shipped. My truck came out of the Detroit hub, it was 3 weeks from ship date to arrival at the dealer. If your salesman is not giving you any good information as far as ship date, then you can call FCA and they will give you updated sketchy information such as in production, or it has shipped, not any more help than what you may have but worth a try. All of the places to "input" different numbers are up in the sticky section. Hang in there.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Ordered mine last may during plant shut down. Dealer said usually 6-8weeks but 10-12 due to covid. About week 6 he called and said there taking i off train come and get it tomorrow. My sales guy told me day they ordered it and think some dealerships hold orders till they have a few and have also heard theres some $ issues related to dealerships limits of stock.

Yillbs

Reaction score
Does anyone actually know what " due to covid " actually means? Are people quitting the factories making them in mexico? Are the trains not traveling as frequently? I keep seeing " due to covid ", but when I ask what that means at the dealer, or anywhere else, i'm just kind of shrugged off.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does anyone actually know what " due to covid " actually means? Are people quitting the factories making them in mexico? Are the trains not traveling as frequently? I keep seeing " due to covid ", but when I ask what that means at the dealer, or anywhere else, i'm just kind of shrugged off.
Its a ******** lie used for them to be as useless as they want... i had 2 dealers try that on me when i went to buy my truck last april/2020 the 3rd dealer saved me 10 grand extra and never once blamed covid they actually said it made it harder to keep trucks in stock and this was during the lockdown... mine was the last brand new 19 they had...

bfs673

Reaction score
Its a ******** lie used for them to be as useless as they want... i had 2 dealers try that on me when i went to buy my truck last april/2020 the 3rd dealer saved me 10 grand extra and never once blamed covid they actually said it made it harder to keep trucks in stock and this was during the lockdown... mine was the last brand new 19 they had...

My $.02: I believe the truth is shrouded in many variables. Your response appears to be related to on hand inventory. Raising prices "Due to COVID" is a BS move (Anyone try to by ammo???)!

There are supply chain constraints in many industries; this is a fact. These are caused by disruptions in factory work, shipping, and other staffing shortages that can have an impact.
This leads me to believe the number of vehicles produced is likely reduced. I've seen this personally in both the healthcare industry as well as the semi-conductor industry (This one DOES impact automotive).
Most facilities are not shut down, but operating at a reduced capacity.

If Ram produces less trucks, the dealership allocations will be effected and get fewer trucks they can order. The law of supply and demand will drive higher prices. Unfortunately this gives the dealerships carte blanche to charge whatever they want, as these higher prices are not being driven by the manufacturer/FCA.

Best thing we can do is to NOT pay the stupid prices for toilet paper, paper towels, ammo, etc.. Unfortunately, there will always be people who have more dollars than sense that award this scrupulous behavior!

Yillbs

Reaction score
My $.02: I believe the truth is shrouded in many variables. Your response appears to be related to on hand inventory. Raising prices "Due to COVID" is a BS move (Anyone try to by ammo???)!

There are supply chain constraints in many industries; this is a fact. These are caused by disruptions in factory work, shipping, and other staffing shortages that can have an impact.
This leads me to believe the number of vehicles produced is likely reduced. I've seen this personally in both the healthcare industry as well as the semi-conductor industry (This one DOES impact automotive).
Most facilities are not shut down, but operating at a reduced capacity.

If Ram produces less trucks, the dealership allocations will be effected and get fewer trucks they can order. The law of supply and demand will drive higher prices. Unfortunately this gives the dealerships carte blanche to charge whatever they want, as these higher prices are not being driven by the manufacturer/FCA.

Best thing we can do is to NOT pay the stupid prices for toilet paper, paper towels, ammo, etc.. Unfortunately, there will always be people who have more dollars than sense that award this scrupulous behavior!
That sounds pretty good until you get to the part about staffing shortages. Unemployment is high, and people are begging for work. I noticed Verizon just laid off a bunch of people recently, raised prices a bit, and then stopped offering phone support and claimed covid-19. I get more people calling my office looking for jobs than i do people calling my office for... actual reasons to call my office lately. I was just curious why others thought " due to covid " actually means when it appears as though companies like FCA, Verizon, Target, etc, are purposely causing delays / havoc in the name of covid to do the job a little worse, fire people, and raise prices.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That sounds pretty good until you get to the part about staffing shortages. Unemployment is high, and people are begging for work. I noticed Verizon just laid off a bunch of people recently, raised prices a bit, and then stopped offering phone support and claimed covid-19. I get more people calling my office looking for jobs than i do people calling my office for... actual reasons to call my office lately. I was just curious why others thought " due to covid " actually means when it appears as though companies like FCA, Verizon, Target, etc, are purposely causing delays / havoc in the name of covid to do the job a little worse, fire people, and raise prices.
All of these big companies are just taking advantage of this scamdemic

bfs673

Reaction score
That sounds pretty good until you get to the part about staffing shortages. Unemployment is high, and people are begging for work.

Agreed, I should've been more clear on this one. I'm not referring to unfilled vacancies, but mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing and other illness causing unexpected staffing shortages. I deal with this on a daily basis and definitely has an impact.

Completely agree on your other points!

Yillbs

Reaction score
Agreed, I should've been more clear on this one. I'm not referring to unfilled vacancies, but mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing and other illness causing unexpected staffing shortages. I deal with this on a daily basis and definitely has an impact.

Completely agree on your other points!
I live in a tiny town and am not really getting exposed to a lot of the main stream / big city issues, so that makes sense.

CdnHD

Reaction score
I work in the auto manufacturing industry and not only have we not slowed down, we have increased production at a ridiculous pace to the point where we max out our weekly legal allotment of hours. We DO have cases of COVID in our workplace. We also have child care leaves (no child care because theres no school) So our manpower is quite the issue but the wheels don't stop rolling (no pun intended!)

ChristianJS

Reaction score
I have been waiting for 16 weeks and my truck has not even been started yet. 2500 cummins megacab, limited, fully optioned
Still waiting, I got in contact with FCA they said it should be here at the dealer by the first week of March.

Users who are viewing this thread