Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Options you are glad you have vs ones you could have skipped on

JE_75PW

Reaction score
SKIP ON the FOLLOWING
Adaptive cruise control
: never use it. not likely i ever will. I simply dont get that close to a vehicle to ever need it.
Lane Assist: there are more times where it causes trouble than where is actually helped ( which was nowhere). Also, it really starts to fight with itself if you dont intervene. meaning if you let it go from line to line ( i was curious and had to see what it can actually do). By the third correction, I took the wheel back. The corrections will get harder and harder, I wonder how far it would go and if it would stop itself? not gonna try it for winter driving and havent tried it with a trailer, not likely I will after the first test. Its always off now.
Adaptive steering: NUMB! is the best way i put it. Video game like feel. there is no resistance change in the wheel when conditions change and taking turns at hwy speeds is an issue. this is causing a problem with winter driving, no feedback makes it difficult to know when your approaching the limits of traction. the truck will drift and you will not feel it in the wheel. you will see it first before you feel it. ( Its proving to be an issue)
Collision avoidance: doesnt work well on a tight road with a guard rail or parked vehicles on a road with a bend, it will chirp, it hasnt applied the brakes on me yet. I hope it doesnt when going around a turn, could possibility throw you into the rail or parked cars. Snow/ice is their enemy ( for me thats 5 months of the year)
Side cameras: (this is just me) theres to much to look at and the ole brain dont like switching from mirrors to 4 views of cameras. I use my mirrors and back in where ever i can. The rear camera ( alone) is great for getting close to things but havent found a use for the side cameras or the forward one yet.
Digital rear view! I dont like this at all. I go cross eyed when I look at it. ( could be a me issue haha ) Ive never actually thought about this before but there's depth when looking at a mirror. There isnt with a ditigal screen. Im expecting to see a mirror but its a tv screen and it throws me off and then im trying to focus back on the road ahead.
Navigation: havent used it and you cant use it while in motion ( for good reason) so its passengers responsibility for direction so they use the phone.
12" screen: for the driver, its extremely distracting trying to navigate through the thing. They did put the climate temp/fan/mode buttons on the left so thats a huge plus. you can feel those but you cant for heated seats or radio functions. I set it before i move.

Glad I have
Cross path detection:
I like this one, its a little light in the mirror and has proven to be accurate so far.
Heated seats: Should be standard on all Canadian vehicles. ( wish list - I'd like to have control between the lumbar and the seat section independently, for the days that the back is a little sore and needs some extra heat). kids enjoy the heated seats in the back.
Memory Seats: Must have when there is a height difference between you and your partner.
Auto Hi-beams: surprisingly accurate. Good for the occasional forgetting their on and getting flashed by the trucker ( deserving of course)
power folding mirrors: if you have the tow mirror, this is a must have.
Ram Box: Most functional option I've ever had on a truck and i love it. BUT, i just dont like the look of them.

hope this helps someone

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Options I am glad I have:
AUX Switches
Surround camera
12" screen
Heated/cooled seats
Bed step (I actually added the factory step later and love it.)
Clearance lights (although I didn't know I would like them when I bought)
Folding mirrors
Memory seats
Auto high beams
Bucket seats with console
LED lights
Night Edition

Options I would skip:
I would probably skip out on the Adaptive Cruise Control. I don't ever use it.

DesertChicken

Reaction score
Didn’t order my truck, found it at a dealership. 2500 Bighorn CCSB, 408 cu.in. (Sounds better than 6.7L), Lvl 2.
Has everything I want.
What it came with that I could do without…..a sunroof. Never use it, and I believe it is not a good idea to have a hole in your roof.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I should have gotten a bed step and skipped adaptive cruise. I have a Laramie already but LED lighting is a must have. Ram Alpine sub is Meh compared to my JK Alpine.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of that online, what do you not like about that screen? I'm just curious.
I can't really say that I dislike it, just that I don't feel it is worth the extra $$. Camera views aren't any bigger/better , phone apps only use half of the screen, etc...

el_barto

Reaction score
Have 2019 Power Wagon:
Didn’t want the towing tech package (surround view cameras + blind spot monitoring), but I am absolutely glad the truck has them! I would get it again!

Wanted vinyl floors but it didn’t have them. If I were to factory order I would try again to get them. That said, the oem floor mats are pretty good.

Would get the dual alternators if I ordered. Ended up upgrading the stock 180amp to the 220, but 380 combined would be better!

Not even an option on the PW, but absolutely get the aux switches on any other trim. It’s not just the switches, it’s the fact the truck has blunt cut wires run all over to use for your accessories. Would make wiring in any accessories super easy!

Also get the in-bed lights. I got the retrofit kit , but still haven’t got them wired in.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I can't really say that I dislike it, just that I don't feel it is worth the extra $$. Camera views aren't any bigger/better , phone apps only use half of the screen, etc...
I hear ya about the phone apps only using half the screen. I really wish AA would go full screen for maps/waze. At least I can have AA on top and another screen on the bottom though. I find it useful.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
I should have gotten a bed step and skipped adaptive cruise. I have a Laramie already but LED lighting is a must have. Ram Alpine sub is Meh compared to my JK Alpine.
Is the alpine system worth the money over the stock? as in - is there a noticeable difference between the two?

SL1

Reaction score
My Lonestar has just enough options to be comfortable without to much techy stuff. The only thing I wouldn't do again is the alpine stereo, not that is doesn't sound great according to my wife and others but, because I have a high frequency hearing loss. I can't hear crickets and above and my ears ring constantly. The alpine does sound crystal clear but I feel that I dont get the full affect and could have done fine with the regular stereo.

Rockwell

Reaction score
I always check off all the options, even the 189 litre gas tank. I never regretted doing it that way, all or nothing. I don’t need a 189 litre gas tank but it’s there if I do.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’m glad I got:
-Manual T-case
-Limited slip diff
-Factory Bed led lighting
-Clearance lights
-8.4”
-carpet / cloth level 2

I’m glad I didn’t get:
-Any driver assist features aside from rear park sensors (which I leave off due to hitch)
-moose mirrors
-full middle floor console thing

Could have skipped:
- gooseneck prep

Wish I had:
-120v outlet
-aux switches

Branog

Reaction score
I love my LED headlights and fog lights, along with the adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning. I did not order my truck, and wish it had a sunroof and wpatriot blue.

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Got my '19 2500 6.4 CCLB used. It's fairly basic, but I plan to add factory options.

Glad I have:
- VSIM
- Backup camera (although the previous owner moved it down to the bumper - I assume to use it while the tailgate's down - and after I moved it back up I realized that the wiring harness was mangled by them in the process...)
- Spray in bedliner (had the used dealership install it before I took the truck)
- Remote tailgate release (added it myself by soldering a new button on my fob. Just waiting on the tailgate opening dampener now)

Wish I had:
- ACC, LKA (would help for those early morning driving home after night shifts when I'm not operating at 100%)
- BSM
- 360 cameras
- Remote start (waiting for the hood ajar sensor to add this myself)
- LED head/tail lights. Sounds like they are much brighter than the halogens.
- Bed lights, bed step
- 12" screen w/ uconnect 5 for wireless android auto (I know it obviously wasn't available until the '22s, and that it's having issues currently, but I still hope to add it in the future)
- Heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel
- 2 zone climate control

Users who are viewing this thread