Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Options you’re glad you got and ones you wish you did

Scott_65

Reaction score
New to the HD game and currently shopping for a 3500 so I’d like to hear from experienced owners on things they’re glad they have and if any they regret not getting. If there’s already a thread on this I apologize as I couldn’t find much.

Scott

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Glad I got the Adaptive Cruise Control, AUX Switches, Rear Air Leveling, Gooseneck/5th Wheel Towing Prep, Phone Charger, and the Wheel to Wheel Running Boards. I am glad the mirrors that came on my Laramie flip up vertically to make towing mirrors and are retractable for tight parking places.

Sorry I paid for the Upfitter Module (confused it with the AUX Switches when ordering and see nothing I would use except maybe the Wig Wag lights might be fun).

Glad I DID NOT get a sunroof. I think they make the cab hotter and are a leak looking for a place to happen.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Love the auto-level rear, AUX switches, Rambox, Megacab and Sunroof especially on cool mornings and evenings.

Scott_65

Reaction score
So 2 for 2 on the air level so far, that’s one of the options I’m especially questioning as I plan to tow a 40’ 5th wheel.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Glad I got the step... wish I had gotten the AUX switches and megacab.
Glad I didn't get the sunroof or the cab lights...

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Mark your list for 3 for 3 on the air suspension. I'm glad I got the max tow pkg. This duelly rides like a vette. I got a fully loaded ride with all the options and I'm glad I did, except for the $400 i wasted on the aux camera technology, total waste of money imop. There's lots of technology stuff that needs improvement but i still would of bought it all. I do wish that i got the rear retractable step that they shanked us on, getting up in that bed is a beech. I'm also glad i did not spend the 6-8 k extra on a limited over a Laramie because i don't need to worry about damaging the soft supple leather from my dogs and those headlights that turn that i heard are not all that . I love the Laramie lights because there big and wide and when you turn your wheel sharp enough one of the lower driving lights help illuminate the corners. Imop, get as many extras as you can afford. Yes i complain that they all don't work as well as I'd like for them to and I'd make some technology changes. I'd still order the same rig i did. I love her

carlrx7

Reaction score
Love the HO w/AISIN and 3.73's, dual alts, cold wx pkg. Sometimes I wish i got the AUX switches, just in case, but i do prefer the toggle switches vs the push buttons. Glad I did not waste money on the vsim, trailer camera. Not sure about the TTPMS. I like my tireminder monitoring the truck tires full time. Also, not 100% on the 12" vs 8.4" no issues, the 12" came standard in the limited. I have only gotten the alt air ride height to work once, I had a 400lb load in the bed and 500lb tongue weight from the trailer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So many Pro's, The higher level packages are great, Longhorn/Limited upholstery is incredible:
  • HO/Aisin
  • Tow prep package
  • Limited/Longhorn headlights are AWESOME as is the interior
  • ACC - except the ginormous bulbuous mirror pod sucks if you're over 5'10" and like the seat high
  • Air cooled seats, heated wheel
  • Power running boards
  • Rear corner bed step
  • Dual 440A alternators
  • Snow chief prep (skid, AUX and running lights)
  • 360* camera system is great for parking - bed cam for hooking up the fiver since I can not see over the seat+toolbox+genset from the driver seat
  • 12" Uconnect (though the processor is tapped out so health monitoring that's in the 8.4" is not there)
Con's/Meh;
  • Aux trailer camera setup
  • TTPMS (added thanks to a thread here)
Did not get:
  • TTPMS wasn't available, now has been hacked onto the truck but isn't as useful (no temp alarms) as my TireMinder
  • As already said in your other thread, on the fence about the factory air but it's definitely a nice ride, I could have just as well gone aftermarket and liked my old air-lift
Wish I had added:
  • Kinda wishing I'd have gotten the VSIM for wig-wag emergency lights

Aftermarket:
  • 2WD low loc (love this) activated by to AUX6
  • Tires - Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
  • Covercraft windshield sunshade (truck is not garaged)
  • Glass for 12" iPadash

You couldn't pay me enough to have a sunroof in this truck.

If this was more work truck and less RV hauler/forever truck, I would probably have just gotten a loaded up Bighorn with cloth seats. I don't trust the microsuede materials in the Laramie seating for long term use. If it was known to be real Italian Alcantara (I doubt it is) that would be more durable and I could get on board.

Zeroday

Reaction score
Glad I DID NOT get a sunroof. I think they make the cab hotter and are a leak looking for a place to happen.

Same here, I've got a 2007 Audi that turns into a swimming pool if I leave it parked nose-down... Also didn't get clearance lights for the same reason.

I'm glad I got the mega cab, glad I got the towing tech package, glad I got the trailer camera prewire and TTPMS. I like the ACC, and the phone app/guardian stuff is cute but I'm not likely to keep it past the free period.

glad I *didn't* get the 12" display

ahhhr

Reaction score
Wasnt sure about power running boards but i really like them.
Bed step is good but i think after market might be better.
Auto level works great but its throwing a DTC code now so im nervous. Maybe i should have looked at aftermarket.
Tires are throw away garbage imho. Upgrade after you get the truck

12" screen and sunroof are appreciated (northern climate)

Small fuel tank is ridiculous.

jb2

Reaction score
1) wheel to wheel side steps (vs. non-wheel to wheel) was a choice I remain quite happy to have made
2) rambox: was never a doubt I was getting them. Still happy I did.
3) Surround View Cams that came with Tow Tech Pkg: also was never in doubt... so dang happy to have them

Scott_65

Reaction score
Great responses everyone, keep them coming. Surprised no ones mentioned bed length one way or the other.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I didn't opt for the electric running boards. I was worried over time with mud and snow and ice that it would be something i would have a problem with. I got the straight tubes with 5" steps, I like the look better anyway.
On the sunroof issues I'm hearing about. Knock on wood, I've owned sun roof vehicles my whole life and thankfully we have had no problems. Got it on this truck as well. I've just always made sure it clear of debris and rubber seals are always well protected with armor all or the like.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
8' , big boy bed. Got the 30k fiver hitch back there. A 57" below rail lund tool box. A bakflip mx4 to cover it all up secure. Also got extra room, ill probably end up getting a Lund aux fuel tank, because my 50 gal ain't enough to keep me off of low fuel :D
20200608_160140.jpg

jerryw1000

Reaction score

So far I am happy with the 12" display. I have not had any problems so far and I love being able to split the screen with NAV and the radio. I also love the larger Surround View/Backup Cam on the big screen. Just in case the 12" does give problems I bought the 8 year MaxCare.

TTPMS and the trailer camera option were not available when I ordered. I am not sure I would use either but I would probably have ordered them if available at the time.

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So far I am happy with the 12" display. I have not had any problems so far and I love being able to split the screen with NAV and the radio. I also love the larger Surround View/Backup Cam on the big screen. Just in case the 12" does give problems I bought the 8 year MaxCare.

TTPMS and the trailer camera option were not available when I ordered. I am not sure I would use either but I would probably of ordered them if available at the time.
I do wish there was a way to just have the surround view on the whole screen instead of just the box off to the side.

Squatch

Reaction score
Glad I got a tradesman with the small screen, seems like less kinks to iron out as far as updates and technology glitches, kinda wish I had gotten a 2500 for the softer ride.

AMLumber

Reaction score
Wish I had:
TPMS for trailer
8” screen radio
Fog lights

Glad I have:
Aux switch
Gas engine
Ram
Lack of technology ie adaptive cruse control, parking assist and blind spot monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Same here, I've got a 2007 Audi that turns into a swimming pool if I leave it parked nose-down... Also didn't get clearance lights for the same reason.

I'm glad I got the mega cab, glad I got the towing tech package, glad I got the trailer camera prewire and TTPMS. I like the ACC, and the phone app/guardian stuff is cute but I'm not likely to keep it past the free period.

Never had an issue with my 03 A6.

There have been TSB for the drain holes plugging up on almost every model year.

That said, Mine has always been garaged and doesn't spend a lot of time outside unless there's a project going in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread