Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optimum operating temperature

JeffBruscia

Reaction score
Hey all, I hope I dropped this in the right place. 2020 3500 Bighorn with the 6.7l ho. I'm new to diesels and am thinking about operating temperature in the winter. I've observed coolant temps in the warm weather while both towing and unhooked that got as high as 215 deg. But driving around with air temps at 30 deg I'm running coolant at 165-172 deg. I'm not too concerned about heat in the cab or anything like that I just want to run the motor at the optimum temp. Do I need to be concerned about these low running temps? Should I consider putting on the grill cover? Also, if I'm towing do these low temps effect engine efficiency? I haven't towed in cold weather yet but I'm guessing the temps will run somewhat higher. I just don't know how much higher yet. Thanks for your feedback.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
With the active shutters, I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you're below zero.

WRT cabin heat, the diesels also have an electric supplemental cabin heater. Though I do admit I don't know if it's used or even needed once the coolant gets up to temp.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The in-cab heater works great, though. Mine will get warm before the engine is at 100'F coolant.

Also, in case you are wondering, the auto-start still primes and then runs the grid heater prior to trying to start the engine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The in-cab heater works great, though. Mine will get warm before the engine is at 100'F coolant.

Also, in case you are wondering, the auto-start still primes and then runs the grid heater prior to trying to start the engine.

That will be the next panic thread here when/if they find out...

Admin

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That will be the next panic thread here when/if they find out...

LOL, I will say it's a lot better here than Facebook for panic threads. I might be biased but I find Facebook groups about good for socializing and that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread