Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Onboard Air

jetrinka

Reaction score
Went snow driving this weekend and when we got back to the highway I got out my VIAIR 450 RV unit to air up again. Its a great working compressor but its sooooo slow.... Holy smokes its slow....

Anyway I decided it was time to upgrade. On top of it being so slow I also carry it in one of my RamBoxes and it takes up a lot of space.

Decided to purchase the NH Overland underhood compressor mount and the ARB twin compressor. According to inflation rate charts it should be much much faster.

Planning on getting it mounted and wired under the hood for now and just grabbing air from there when I need it. I may eventually run lines to the front and rear of the truck but for now I'll just get the compressor mounted and useable.

Planning on putting some pictures and a bit of a write up of the install in this thread.

BTW NH Overland is having a secret sale. When I added the compressor mount to my cart and then went to check out it automatically took off 15 dollars as a secret holiday sale. Just FYI if you wanted to save a few bucks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the 450 is quite slow, and why I switched to the 400 a few years ago. Duty cycle isn’t an issue and it saves a bunch of time.

el_barto

Reaction score
I have the ARB Single. My understanding is the ARB Twin is about 1.5x as fast as the singles (it’s 2x the compressors, but that doesn’t exactly equate to 2x as fast).

But the twin has 100% duty cycle, vs the Single which is not (30on/30off)…I’ve never needed to let it rest though/rested the duty cycle limit since airing up my 35s only takes like 15-20 minutes.

All in all, I’ve been happy with the single.

I do have lines to front and rear bumper so the hose I have easily reaches all 4 tires.

Wobly

Reaction score
I used a Viair 400 for about a year, but it was very slow to air up all 4 tires to road pressure. It took about 45 minutes for the process. A couple of years ago, NAPA had a sale on the Maxi Trac 300LPM compressor and that can air up all 4 of my 35's from 20 to ~45 psi in 6 minutes. There are some clones and some re-brands available from different sources. The one company that has taken it to the extreme is MORRflate. They made it "digital" with some tweaks. There are a couple of people I run with that have it and love it. https://morrflate.com/product-category/air-sources/
There are cheaper alternatives, though.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just bought the Milwaukee M18 inflator and now i dont know if i would use anything else just for the ease it can air up my stock 33” tires in about 1 min and i can take it with me anywhere. Admittedly i have never used anything you guys are referring too but i have run an engine mounted york 210 and retrofitted the A/C compressor in my old jeep for OBA. And the inflator is similar but the added bonus of kicking off when the tires are at the required pressure.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I just picked up a ARB twin during the holiday sales from Mainline Overland. I've been using a Viair 450 for a while, and while it's a great compressor, it's def a little slow for one, and for two I don't have it hard mounted, so it's very mildly annoying having to pull everything out, let it cool, put it back.

Pretty amped to have everything hard mounted so that I'll have a front and rear connection and just have to flip it on.

I do wish that ARB made some proper physical units for their air pressure start/stop. They have their digital mode, but I hate the idea of running it on an ipad. I may do that just for simplicity, we will see.

Soapy

Reaction score
I also have the new Milwaulkee 18 volt air inflator. It will air up a 35 inch tire from 30 to 50 PSI in 4 minutes 26 seconds and is rated for 20 minutes on and 20 off. It is so small I may add a second in my kit so I can do 2 tires at once. It looks like a regular 5 amp battery will do about 2.5 tires per charge. I carry a rapid charger with me that I can plug into the 400 watt ac outlet and recharge a battery in about 20 minutes.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I also have the new Milwaulkee 18 volt air inflator. It will air up a 35 inch tire from 30 to 50 PSI in 4 minutes 26 seconds and is rated for 20 minutes on and 20 off. It is so small I may add a second in my kit so I can do 2 tires at once. It looks like a regular 5 amp battery will do about 2.5 tires per charge. I carry a rapid charger with me that I can plug into the 400 watt ac outlet and recharge a battery in about 20 minutes.
I also carry the rapid charger and the 12 amp batts so handy to keep in the truck

Hibiki54

Reaction score
I'm currently using 2 Ridgid cordless tire inflators with 5ah batteries. I never bothered timing them but I can fill 2 of my 37s from 20 to 45psi on 1 battery and still have juice to almost fill a 3rd.

I'm waiting for my Morrflate TenSix Pro V2 to come in. It's been on back-order and barely cleared customs more than a week ago. Been getting on their ass because of all the delays.

My friend has the non-Pro V1 of the compressor and I have the 4 tire fill hoses. I can fill all four tires equally in a 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread