Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On board Air

Marshfly

Reaction score
My only question on that install is about the mounts. How did you actually attach them to the body? Those threaded rubber expandable things? Nutserts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019_Ram

Reaction score
Looks like the one with the Visit compressor used a bracket and some self tapping screws into the rocker panel.

On mine, I used nutserts and mounted the brackets for the tank to them with regular bolts, then the tank easily slid in. Make sure you take the time to layout stuff well. Drill the proper size hole, I painted the raw metal with touch up paint, put red locktite on the nutsert, and set them. You can install nutserts without a special tool, Google homemade nutsert tool. The Accuair by far the easiest compressor/tank I have installed on any vehicle.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I bought a Viair 10007. With the tank (2 & 1/2 gallon) and all connections, it runs around $400.00. I had it installed for another $300.00. It is supposed to be a "constant duty" setup. So far, it works like a charm.

Is it pretty loud and can you feel it when it’s running?

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Then did you mount to body or frame of truck. I think they mounted mine to the body and it’s loud and vibrates hard. Looking for a new softer quieter compressor like what’s on air ride suspension when I don’t hear or feel it at all. Any and all suggestions? Guy who installed Vixen horn system said Firestone or Air lift compressor. Just want very quiet one and one that doesn’t sound like it’s rattling the cab to pieces. Especially while driving. Must have a slow leak of air pressure and activated compressor again while driving.

2019_Ram

Reaction score
The Accuair I have is very quiet, and only barely noticeable if paying attention when driving. It is also mounted to the rocker panel.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Then did you mount to body or frame of truck. I think they mounted mine to the body and it’s loud and vibrates hard. Looking for a new softer quieter compressor like what’s on air ride suspension when I don’t hear or feel it at all. Any and all suggestions? Guy who installed Vixen horn system said Firestone or Air lift compressor. Just want very quiet one and one that doesn’t sound like it’s rattling the cab to pieces. Especially while driving. Must have a slow leak of air pressure and activated compressor again while driving.

Pretty loud huh. Last about 4.5 min too. And I guess I have a leak because it refills each time I start it up.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Pretty loud huh. Last about 4.5 min too. And I guess I have a leak because it refills each time I start it up.

Which compressor do you have?

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
This was part of the Vixen train horn package.

Marshfly

Reaction score
This was part of the Vixen train horn package.

You definitely have a leak. So find that with a spray bottle and soapy water. But you might also just have a weak compressor. You can plumb a second one in to the same relay and get double the speed on the refill.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Also, I find the weaker compressors are actually louder than the better ones. My 12v Puma PD1006 is super quiet but it will put out over 2gpm.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Oh it’s loud. 78 on db chart. The sound of compressor running. The horn. 157db loud.
c52ff4bf8b3a4c3d7d9dbf78c9836d8f.jpg
69b4794abfdb61516884f7a661617747.jpg
8d6752664875e885ee011deb09291dbe.jpg

Last edited:

coastie

Reaction score
Here you go. I had the compressor mounted on the driver's side just at the rear of the driver's door. The tank is mounted behind the compressor. View attachment 1730View attachment 1731View attachment 1732
I also ordered the truck with the Aux switches. The compressor is powered by one of those. And, I like the gauge located where I am working as opposed to being in the cab where I have seen most mounted.
Do you have any information on the brackets that were used to mount your air tank to the rocker panel?

coastie

Reaction score
Follow on question then; where did you order your VIAIR kit from?
Thanks for the help by the way. I have a VIAIR kit with the 2.5 gal tank, but there is not enough room on the frame to mount it. So back to the forums to get ideas...

switz

Reaction score
I am sorry but I can't remember...Just tried to figure out which one would work best and ordered it on-line.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I went with the Kleinn kit that's designed for our trucks, it cam with all the brackets and mounting hardware so no drilling and everything mounts to the frame.
It's pricy but fabbing up mounts can get expensive and time consuming, I'm very happy with it!

jpaeth

Reaction score
Here you go. I had the compressor mounted on the driver's side just at the rear of the driver's door. The tank is mounted behind the compressor. View attachment 1730View attachment 1731View attachment 1732
I also ordered the truck with the Aux switches. The compressor is powered by one of those. And, I like the gauge located where I am working as opposed to being in the cab where I have seen most mounted.
What trim level is your truck? I see the retracting bed steps in the pics. I have a Limited with the factory air bags and I have basically the same Viar setup to install. My truck is a crew cab tho and I have the in floor storage bins in the rear seats.. from what I can see in your pics it looks like those are going to be in the way of where you put the tank. Did your trunk not have them?

Users who are viewing this thread