Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Thread - 6.4 Hemi

raven_dt

Reaction score
that is wise. RAM is pretty specific in the owners manual regarding oil cert. I know guys blow it off and cite MM act but not worth it to me. I have run PUP in all my FCA vehicles since 2012 and no reason to stop.
It's a recommendation, not a requirement.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I just changed mine and it has not burned a drop between changes either. this last change was just under 6000 miles. PUP for me too.
Last 3 oil changes M1 0W-40, all good oil reports, no oil usage either.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Going to Schaeffers on the next oil change and I do R&D at Chrysler

Andersen24

Reaction score
OK so I am just used to changing oil every 5,000 miles and am sticking to that on my 2022 PW. I have always used Mobil1 and it has worked for me. Of course I look and they only have the European Car Formula(ECF) . But on page 469 of my owners manual it talks about meeting the Material Standard MS-A0921, but then it says, “……Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark.”
Here is a pic of the Mobil1 ECF so I am “assuming” I would be safe if there were a warranty issue since it has the API Donut required per the owners manual.838E977E-B116-444E-B6C7-48E58ACC2868.jpeg

762fmj

Reaction score
Is there a particular reason that you're going Schaeffers over Redline which seems to be most popular?

jetrinka

Reaction score
In all seriousness I don't think I've ever seen an ad for Redline. Seems a lot here are on the train though.
lol you're right. That is what swayed my decision was the fact that I've seen so many people using it. Oil can be a dive deeper than I am willing to go but also liked the ester base vs a PAO. Doing a bit of reading on Bobistheoilguy helped.

At the end of the day its 0w40, it claims to be able to be used for the Mopar spec, and it has a good reputation. All good enough reasons for me. I haven't done any research on Schaeffers oil but I am sure its good stuff.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Schaeffers is popular too, it just depends where you are peeking, work prefers that over Redline, Schaeffers is an OLD company.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I've ran Redline in my previous Ram's and my current Wrangler. Currently I'm running whatever the dealer puts in my Ram and Gladiator until the engine warranty's are up. I want them to have zero excuse should there be an issue. And, lately, there are a lot more issues. Last thing I need is a wiped cam in either and Stellantis using some legal loophole to not cover it. MM be damned, you'll spend more in legal fees and time maybe winning. I've had my fair share of legal battles with Ford and I just don't have the time, patience or f***s to give to do it with Stellantis.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
People forget about the legal fees and the deep pockets they are going up against when trying to fight something as seemingly easy as a claim on engine oil failure, not to mention the time involved, no thank you for me, approved oil and filter.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Do R&D for oil? Because I work at a large retail company that is a huge player in the fashion industry, but I’d be the wrong guy to ask what you should wear.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Dyno and engine teardown and inspection, I won't ask what color babushka to wear.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Dyno and engine teardown and inspection, I won't ask what color babushka to wear.
That sounds pretty relevant to me. I wasn’t questioning your credentials btw, just curious.

Yeah, good call on that, I thought a babushka was a grandmother. I work from home so my daily wear is whatever I slept in.

OC455

Reaction score
I use Amsoil 0W40 with the Amsoil EA017 filter. The EA017 filter is larger than the OEM filter.

Last edited:

kevin588127

Reaction score
I just changed the oil in my 22 6.4 with 1500 miles on the clock. I went with the SRT filter and 7 qts of PUP. Did the change a few days ago but this morning I got the dry tick on startup for about 5-10 seconds. Truck had been sitting for about 12 hours. Not real impressed about that. Going to try scheafers next go round.

Users who are viewing this thread