Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Summary Page on Instrument Cluster

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
In the Oil Summary Faufe on a limited, it has three “gauges.

Oil life, oil temp and oil pressure.

The oils pressure is just digital, and other two are digital and gauge style…

Is there a way to get the oil temp to show as a dial?

It does in the off road pages.

Strange!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Previous posts tell me he has a Cummins.

The Cummins doesn’t have an oil temp sensor, it’s just a calculated value. So it may or may not be correct at any given moment. An analog gauge wouldn’t be very useful.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Previous posts tell me he has a Cummins.

The Cummins doesn’t have an oil temp sensor, it’s just a calculated value. So it may or may not be correct at any given moment. An analog gauge wouldn’t be very useful.

Doesn’t have an oil pressure sensor either. Both oil temp and pressure are fake, may as well forget they exist.

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
This first pic is what I expected.

The second pic is what my instrument panel is showing when on the same page.

I’d like it to show as the first example.

Digital readouts aren’t my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_6727.jpeg
    IMG_6727.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6717.jpeg
    IMG_6717.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 25

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The first one is a gas engine, yours appears to be diesel. That could be the difference since those gauges are real on a hemi and fake on the Cummins.

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
So there’s no oil pressure sender on a Cummins?

Odd that the gauges in the off road pages show the temp ring, but not instrument panel…

Lerker

Reaction score
This first pic is what I expected.

The second pic is what my instrument panel is showing when on the same page.

I’d like it to show as the first example.

Digital readouts aren’t my friend.

Mine does the same thing! I was just commenting about this to my wife.

I believe it displayed properly when I first got the truck, then went intermittent, and now never shows. I wondered about disconnecting the battery, or a reset at the dealer, but honestly I probably won't do a thing about it except complain in my little brain from time to time (unless you or someone figures out a fix).

hondapro

Reaction score
Doesn’t have an oil pressure sensor either. Both oil temp and pressure are fake, may as well forget they exist.
Do you know if anyone has tested the oil temp, and oil pressure to see how close the calculated display is to the real temp and pressure?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So there’s no oil pressure sender on a Cummins?

Odd that the gauges in the off road pages show the temp ring, but not instrument panel…

The isn't an oil pressure sensor or oil temperature sensor. There is an oil psi switch, so as long as you have 6 psi of pressure (10 psi is the minimum at idle per Cummins) our gauge will read "normal".

Do you know if anyone has tested the oil temp, and oil pressure to see how close the calculated display is to the real temp and pressure?

I ran real oil psi and oil temp gauges in my 05. The oil pressure is rarely correct, the real oil pressure swings much more rapidly and sits lower at idle-1500 rpms.

Oil temp is decent, close enough that I thought I was a real reading when my dad bought his 2017 and I still had my 2005. It's a little funky when cold, like it will drop from 190 to 160 on an off ramp, which isn't realistic. It also doesn't get quite as warm on a long hard pull, but it's generally closer than oil pressure.

But that's all just for fun, neither one, especially oil temp, will ever let you know if there is an issue.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
^ same oil psi performance that I saw on my 04.5. I remember being quite surprised.

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
I think the the digital instrument panel should have the oil temp gauge with a blue ring like all the other gauges. I want consistency, dammit!

Users who are viewing this thread