Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil & Fuel Filter Change... CA-CHING! $$$

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
11K+ kms on the big Dodge and 6K kms of that towing so decided that it was time to dump the 10W-30 factory fill, which had to come out before we get hit with the freezing HE double L. Sourced some M1 Delvac with a 5W-40 kinda consistency and left the rest to the technical resources of the selling dealer. Note that I is north of the 49th and at the end of the day I was $500+ Canuck Bucks poorer. All the fuel savings I realized over the previous gasser just evaporated. Consolation? The 3500 is way more fun than the gasser ever was and this painful event should only transpire once a year.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i plan on changing fluids around 5k miles. hoping to knock it out myself so i can save some
of those bucks :)

flan

Reaction score
Perfect excuse to learn how to do it yourself, it’s a very simple task. Keep you receipts in case it is ever questioned for warranty issues.

Camr

Reaction score
I have found that with Canadian FCA dealers, the cost of fuel filter changes vary greatly. It would be a good idea to get an firm quote from a few dealers first.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Perfect excuse to learn how to do it yourself, it’s a very simple task. Keep you receipts in case it is ever questioned for warranty issues.
I hear ya! I became expert contortionist in removing oil filters from Hemi propelled half ton for that very reason. I've pulled countless drain plugs and twisted hundreds of oil filters off/on over the decades. So why-oh-why did I entrust my $100K motorized investment to the dealer service dept? Brain fart? Naivete? Dunno... Lost count of the number of times I've been down this path holding out hope that THIS TIME... they will have their sh_t together. WHAT was I thinking? I think... they nailed the fuel filters. That was the lion's share of the hit to the wallet. But, they messed up the oil change. When I booked the truck in I was emphatic that,"I got my own oil!" Flash fwd and notwithstanding that there were three, one gallon jugs of M1 Delvac sitting on the pax side floor, they did the oil change with dealer stuff... 10W-30 conventional diesel oil kinda stuff, which is not compatible with the temperatures that are prevalent in this neck of the woods for the next four to five months . Jaysus freak'n heck... how does ya miss that? I weep, therefore, when FCA sends me stuff extolling the virtues of their "expert" service departments and how they are best suited to attend to the technical needs of my vehicle. Good gawd...

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I have found that with Canadian FCA dealers, the cost of fuel filter changes vary greatly. It would be a good idea to get an firm quote from a few dealers first.
I'm out in the stix - one dealer in town. Two hour drive otherwise.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score

i'v e been building hot rods / ls swapped vehicles for years, with a full shop at my disposal. it's really more of a trust issue than saving any $$$ ;)

flan

Reaction score
Same here. Friend of mine just got his oil changed in his old Jeep and one of those quick lube joints. They changed the oil but not the filter. Intentional or not, what confidence does that give you that they even used the right weight oil? I will continue do do my own non warranty service as long as my health allows.

MaximumSteel

Reaction score
Always have changed my own oil. That said, I just did the 1000 mile 1st oil/filter change on the 19PowerWagon and they definitely have a 900lb gorilla twisting those on at the factory. Had to get medieval on that factory filter.

Was able to get Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w40 (ms12633) from Napa for US$6.49/quart saving $5.50 per. Loaded up on all I could get (21 quarts) so I'm set for the next two oil changes. Also...logged into my Mopar garage and put an entry in maintenance which notated mileage, oil/filter type. Also took pics of the receipts.

IronByron

Reaction score
Always have changed my own oil. That said, I just did the 1000 mile 1st oil/filter change on the 19PowerWagon and they definitely have a 900lb gorilla twisting those on at the factory. Had to get medieval on that factory filter.

Was able to get Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w40 (ms12633) from Napa for US$6.49/quart saving $5.50 per. Loaded up on all I could get (21 quarts) so I'm set for the next two oil changes. Also...logged into my Mopar garage and put an entry in maintenance which notated mileage, oil/filter type. Also took pics of the receipts.

So it wasn’t just me then. The same gorilla must spend time on the diesel line too. My filter was way over-torqued as well.

Users who are viewing this thread