Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil filters

kanabram

Reaction score
So I purchased a Mopar oil filter off Amazon for a 6.4 hemi (MO-899) thinking all oil filters for that block were the same but what I received was a lot larger than the tiny oil filter on my truck. Apparently, what I ordered fits SRT 6.4 engines but not our truck engines, which apparently is a 4892339AB. I just find it odd that an oil filter for a 'heavy duty' truck would be smaller than what they put on the other 6.4 blocks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So I purchased a Mopar oil filter off Amazon for a 6.4 hemi (MO-899) thinking all oil filters for that block were the same but what I received was a lot larger than the tiny oil filter on my truck. Apparently, what I ordered fits SRT 6.4 engines but not our truck engines, which apparently is a 4892339AB. I just find it odd that an oil filter for a 'heavy duty' truck would be smaller than what they put on the other 6.4 blocks.
Its because unlike the SRT you dont need the high flow filter because you have a lower output oil pump the bigger the filter the more flow it can have WITHOUT sacrificing filtration level

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Plenty run that filter, we're just lucky on the 2500's that it's easier to put a larger filter on. The 1500 5.7 is not so lucky.
IMO the larger filter will have more area to let oil through thus helping oil flow through the engine, which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread