Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Consumption

jetrinka

Reaction score
Been a few miles since I posted here. Now at 23500 miles - no consumption between oil changes

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
I don't see how they can say that's normal! Losing a quart every 2,500 miles is normal? I call BS on that. I've got over 16,000 miles on mine now, four oil changes (the first at 500 miles just 'cuz) without a perceptible loss of ANY oil.

If you're losing 1qt/2,500 miles, how much was lost after your 500 miles 'test' - 1/5 of a quart? I'd recommend taking your truck to another dealer, print out the msgs on this board from folks who have zero oil loss and become a squeaky wheel.

Dont quote me on this but iirc, its 1qt for every 1000 miles under a certain mileage is considered acceptable. If that is true, i guess its "normal" o_O.
But i do plan to try another dealership to see what they say.

jetrinka

Reaction score
A lot of manufacturers are saying that now because of oil consumption issues and angry customers. Kia/Hyundai guys come to mind.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Dont quote me on this but iirc, its 1qt for every 1000 miles under a certain mileage is considered acceptable. If that is true, i guess its "normal" o_O.
But i do plan to try another dealership to see what they say.
So an engine with a near 60% oil loss (57.14% to be exact) every 4,000 miles (less distance than between oil changes!) is acceptable, eh? What a garbage motor that would be. No one would buy a rig with that crappy of an engine in it. Even if its only, "under a certain mileage". During my near 70yrs on this planet I've had two vehicles that lost oil that bad. One was a 1960 VW bug that I had stripped the drain plug, the other a 1958 Ford sedan V8 with blown rings. None of those two were 'acceptable', but back then no one cared. Gas was $0.32/gallon and cigarettes were $.40/pack from the machine in every gas station lobby. Ah the good old days.....

Ocxd

Reaction score
1/2 qt every 5,000 miles here using PUP. Figure it’s normal

jadmt

Reaction score
Over 30,000 miles and no measurable oil consumption between 5000-6000 mile changes. PUP

Last edited:

chas0218

Reaction score
How can this be "normal" when my beater has 240k on the engine and doesn't use a drop. Any noticeable consumption should not be normal. Sounds like the oil retention rings and piston rings have some serious quality control issues or people assembling the engine.

Last edited:

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
Update:
Truck now has 23,450 miles and consuming far less oil. Used about 1/4 quart in 3000 miles.

I changed the PCV valve and threw in a can of engine flush. Still using PUP with Mopar filters

Users who are viewing this thread