Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change Intervals

MT1

Reaction score
So I picked up my 2500 CTD at the end of January. To date I have less than 5000 miles as I really only drive it on weekends. How often should I change the oil with such little driving? I am not really towing anything yet. Im just curious.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
15k or one year, which ever comes first. I did my first change at 5k but will follow the owners manuals maintenance schedule from now on

Reactions: MT1

MT1

Reaction score
I contemplated doing an oil change at 5000 becuase i heard it wasnt a bad thing to do.

CdnHO

Reaction score
You are only doing arround 7000 per year. Once a year is fine. I put on the same miles. Just follow the manual and you won't go wrong. Don't sweat it. And don't ask the dealer. They wiil have you come in every other month. Service is where the money is. Whether you need it or not. LOL

Reactions: MT1

MT1

Reaction score
You are only doing arround 7000 per year. Once a year is fine. I put on the same miles. Just follow the manual and you won't go wrong. Don't sweat it. And don't ask the dealer. They wiil have you come in every other month. Service is where the money is. Whether you need it or not. LOL
thats for sure. I only took it in for a recall a few months ago and i have to take it in for another one but i keep forgetting to make an appointment

thecastle

Reaction score
Whats interesting to me is my dealer of course doesn't resist at all changing the engine oil. But if you ask them to change the trans oil, why do you want to do that? Its not required. I use my to tow really about 90%+ of the time, and it has the AISIN which recommend 30K oil changes, and 60K oil/filter changes.

bbritt18

Reaction score
I am friends with the service manager at the dealership I bought mine from. I asked about the 15k oil change and he said he would never go over 7500 miles. I get my oil changes for free with the extended warranty plan I bought so it really doesn't matter to me.

thecastle

Reaction score
It never hurts to change you oil early other than your wallet. The only way to decide on what the proper oil change interval for your vehicle is an oil analysis. Claims that you need it more often without out proof, are just that baseless claims/opinions.

bamorris2

Reaction score
I am friends with the service manager at the dealership I bought mine from. I asked about the 15k oil change and he said he would never go over 7500 miles. I get my oil changes for free with the extended warranty plan I bought so it really doesn't matter to me.

It’s no wonder then why dealers try to swindle people into needless oil changes. It starts at the top with their management team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It’s no wonder then why dealers try to swindle people into needless oil changes. It starts at the top with their management team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best is when they try to argue what the owners manual says… my dealer i used to use they all were adamant it was 7500 miles because we are in a “severe duty” climate even after i showed them the manual where it says 15k miles for severe duty they tried to argue with me. They are sales men nothing else

Users who are viewing this thread