Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off To The Dealer

jetrinka

Reaction score
Don’t know why I didn’t notice this before. Likely has been broken since I got the truck judging by the rust on the broken end of the bolt.6CE6FB48-6219-43BF-8306-E0BC097B227D.jpeg

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
Updated the original post to a better picture

jetrinka

Reaction score
I never noticed it before under there doing oil changes. Literally the only time I've used the winch was pulling the line out a bit to attach a flat-link and then rolled it back. The end of the broken bolt in there is rusty. I kinda think it broke at the factory during assembly when the bolt was put in and it wasn't caught. Dealer is going to look at it tonight and get parts ordered. I'd be fine with just drilling the bolt out and replacing it if thats what they want to do. Doesn't seem like a case for a brand new winch and all that extra work for 1 bolt....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The bolt should come out with ease i would extract it and go see fastenal or your local fastener store and get the proper matching bolt

jetrinka

Reaction score
Fine fine fine!!! Everyone has convinced me! I'll just drill it out myself. o_O:)

Actually Warn is an awesome company to deal with. I called them and explained the situation/sent them a picture and they are going to mail me the exact bolt free of charge. They've certainly earned my future business.

jadmt

Reaction score
hard to tell from the photo is it broke off flush with the control box bridge or winch itself? how it is broke would determine how I would tackle it.

jetrinka

Reaction score
hard to tell from the photo is it broke off flush with the control box bridge or winch itself? how it is broke would determine how I would tackle it.
I am going to wait till I have the new bolt to compare it to. To my eyes it is broken off flush with what I would imagine is the threaded hole itself but the new bolt will tell me for sure. If that is the case I am just going to leave the bridge on, center punch it and then work up from small drill bit to larger till I can get a decent extractor in the hole. Should turn itself right out with no other disassembly required.

jadmt

Reaction score
I am going to wait till I have the new bolt to compare it to. To my eyes it is broken off flush with what I would imagine is the threaded hole itself but the new bolt will tell me for sure. If that is the case I am just going to leave the bridge on, center punch it and then work up from small drill bit to larger till I can get a decent extractor in the hole. Should turn itself right out with no other disassembly required.
best way if it is like that is too get a rod the exact size of the hole (tight fit but not pound it in tight) and have a machine shop drill a 1/8" or so hole perfectly centered in the rod ie on a lathe and then use that as a pilot.....no chance of it getting all kitty wampus....

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
best way if it is like that is too get a rod the exact size of the hole (tight fit but not pound it in tight) and have a machine shop drill a 1/8" or so hole perfectly centered in the rod ie on a lathe and then use that as a pilot.....no chance of it getting all kitty wampus....

If you have a bit that fits the hole, just use that to get a centerpoint started. Doesn't work on anything flush, but that looks to be set down from the outer part.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I wonder how hard it is to just pull the bridge off in hopes of finding a nubbin to grab with some vice grips. Even if there isn't a nubbin centering the punch will be easier that way. I do like the drill bit idea - as long as its the same diameter. Even if its slightly smaller it would be darn close. I've usually used a tapered center punch that is slightly smaller than the hole when bottomed out - looking around the taper diameter inside the hole usually gets me lined up pretty darn good - kinda like a clutch disc alignment tool would.

I've got long extractors too.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wonder how hard it is to just pull the bridge off in hopes of finding a nubbin to grab with some vice grips. Even if there isn't a nubbin centering the punch will be easier that way. I do like the drill bit idea - as long as its the same diameter. Even if its slightly smaller it would be darn close. I've usually used a tapered center punch that is slightly smaller than the hole when bottomed out - looking around the taper diameter inside the hole usually gets me lined up pretty darn good - kinda like a clutch disc alignment tool would.

I've got long extractors too.
Do you have any left handed drill bits? Or sharpen a bit backwards can usually get you by it will normally catch as you drill and the bolt will come right out

RTillery

Reaction score
Maybe get some PB blaster or other penetrant on it now while you are waiting. A little time is your friend.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Do you have any left handed drill bits? Or sharpen a bit backwards can usually get you by it will normally catch as you drill and the bolt will come right out
Left handed drill bits scare me. I've had them "catch" as the bolt starts to back out, bolt snags on something and left handed bit shears off. Maybe I suck but I've had much better success with regular bits and a large (relative to the bolt) extractor instead. Then it gets seriously fun......

Users who are viewing this thread