Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road use 2018 PW

Hammerjack

Reaction score
Hi all. I am planning out a 2018 PW for off roading in Pines in NJ. The pines is mostly sandy trails and water obstacles. I've never liked doing rock climbing in a 4x4, (Never wanted the damage). The rig has no sliders or step bars yet, trying to figure out what brand to get. What would you add to a PW for weekend fun at the Pines?

jetrinka

Reaction score
If you wanted sliders check out Maple Offroad or White Knuckle Offroad - both very good companies and great products.

The first thing I'd do though is make sure you've got tires that can match the PW's abilities.

Paddy3101

Reaction score
Random Orbital Car Polisher, and some pads and polish (To buff out the Pinstripes)
Hitch mounted recovery hook (which will drag before the hitch/bumper, and to tow out broken-down Jeeps)
Traction boards, probably won't use them, but for piece of mind just incase, on sand. Also works as shovels, levelling the truck if camping.
Tree-saver + soft-shackles + ring. (Mostly used to recover other peoples Jeeps, Broncos)
Go-Pro and/or Phone/Camera
Taller tires, mostly to give better departure angle. (I've just got 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler)

jetrinka

Reaction score
Random Orbital Car Polisher, and some pads and polish (To buff out the Pinstripes)
Hitch mounted recovery hook (which will drag before the hitch/bumper, and to tow out broken-down Jeeps)
Traction boards, probably won't use them, but for piece of mind just incase, on sand. Also works as shovels, levelling the truck if camping.
Tree-saver + soft-shackles + ring. (Mostly used to recover other peoples Jeeps, Broncos)
Go-Pro and/or Phone/Camera
Taller tires, mostly to give better departure angle. (I've just got 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler)
Real men keep the pinstripes :p

BikePilot

Reaction score
I'd do 37x13.5R17 tires and Thuren King pintops and boogie bumps for starters.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
I'm about to stat the 4th iteration of my exhaust to make the wife happy.

But on the flip side, happy wife meant, Carli Backcountry kit installed for a smoother ride. Also means AMP steps, removing the factory sliders and looking at RED sliders to protect from rocks. ;)

Last edited:

Hammerjack

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger. A new to me 2018 PW from Arizona. It has some kind of aftermarket lift, and 37". It also has a electrical gremlin which drains the battery (twice yesterday).

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6691.jpg
    IMG_6691.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6692.jpg
    IMG_6692.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6693.jpg
    IMG_6693.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6694.jpg
    IMG_6694.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6695.jpg
    IMG_6695.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6696.jpg
    IMG_6696.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 39

6.2Blazer

Reaction score
Back to the original question. If you are just getting into the off-road world after buying a PW and want to hit up some trails for the first time......just get in it and go as-is. You don't need to spend $$$$ the first time you go off-road. The only thing I would recommend is some basic recovery gear (tow strap, shackles) and be familiar with the truck and the equipment it has. That means understand how the winch works and understand the lockers and swaybar disconnects. I will also say that on an easy to moderate trail it's unlikely you will need a winch and a good chance you won't even need the lockers. Overall don't overthink the situation. Go out and have some fun, just don't try to tackle every obstacle you see and work your way up on the difficulty level. First hand experience on the trail is the best way to determine what future modifications you may need.

Hammerjack

Reaction score
Yeah, it's been at least ten years since I went off roading and then that was in a 89 K5 Blazer. I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Thanks for the advice all.

Users who are viewing this thread