Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road Package Bilstein Shock Issue??

madmat

Reaction score
So i ordered my truck with the off road package and have noticed my truck sure jitters alot on the highway over the finer cracks and road imperfections at highway speeds. Around town, back roads or any larger bumps the truck is extremely smooth for an HD, the best i've ever driven in anyways ( i came from a 2015 GM HD which has always been regarded a the smoothest out there). I had test drove a non offroad equipped truck before ordering mine and i dont recall it being as jittery and our dealer lots havent seen another HD for months and months around here so i cant go drive another.
I've played with my tire pressures(which always made a huge difference in my gmc) as low as 40psi up to the recommended 65psi(i have a 2500) and didn't really notice much of a difference.

I'm wondering if these bilstein shocks are maybe to blame for the ride comfort issue im having on highway. Anyone else out there notice the same with their off road package equipped trucks or have maybe driven trucks with and without the bilsteins that have noticed a difference in ride quality??

My truck is a 2500 crew cab long box 6.4 Hemi with 17" power wagon rims and tires.

Last edited:

Bearman95

Reaction score
Nope, rides great in the city and on the highway. 21 2500 Longhorn with off-road package 6.4 inch bed and Cummins.This is my second diesel, the first was a 2005 Chevrolet, actually put Bil Steen shocks on it, did not help the ride any. That was the roughest vehicle I’ve ever been in besides a log truck. I will say this though that my truck rides a lot better since I took those stock tires off and put on NItto ridge grappler‘s. I run anywhere from 55 to 65 pounds of air in them. Of course the lower the air pressure the better it rides. And it does not ride as good as my 20 1500 Laramie 4 x 4 But I did not expect it to.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
My 21 PW rides great. Bilstien shocks but has softer springs.
I swapped tires to 35 BFGs. 40 front/35 rear.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I’m getting the same jitteriness from mine as you are. CC/LB. I think what we are getting is frame flex and the only fix is stiffening the frame. Mine is a 2022. Lowering tire pressure helped some but it is still there.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m getting the same jitteriness from mine as you are. CC/LB. I think what we are getting is frame flex and the only fix is stiffening the frame. Mine is a 2022. Lowering tire pressure helped some but it is still there.
Thats not frame flex these frames have very little flex….

My 19 CCLB Cummins 2500 Off-Road pkg is great but some bumps can feel like you stated i found it to be the fact the springs are to inboard on the axles, a set of airbags would fix that as they are closer to the wheels

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Are you experiencing that jitter while unloaded? When it was stock, I know mine rode much better with at least a few hundred pounds in the bed as opposed to running around empty.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
My 18’ CC/SB never had this, for lack of a better description, vibration. It had a Cummins also and the new 22’ is a Hemi. The weight difference between the gas engine and diesel may not be preloading the frame enough. I have seen it happen on another vehicle and adding weight didn’t help though. The suspension was changed to any conceivable configuration and until the flex was removed/reduced there was no change.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Are you experiencing that jitter while unloaded? When it was stock, I know mine rode much better with at least a few hundred pounds in the bed as opposed to running around empty.
Yes unloaded. I’ve only had it since last Wednesday but was going to be adding more to it. I’ve tried adjusting air pressures and it helped some but the jittery feel is more like a slow vibration after hitting a bump. May be a tire slightly out of balance and the bump gets it started or…..IDK

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Yes unloaded. I’ve only had it since last Wednesday but was going to be adding more to it. I’ve tried adjusting air pressures and it helped some but the jittery feel is more like a slow vibration after hitting a bump. May be a tire slightly out of balance and the bump gets it started or…..IDK
Got it. I wouldn't have guessed that based on jitteriness, so thanks for clarifying.

Since you changed up your geometry a bit with the PW wheels, there's a chance the same feeling was there before, just more exaggerated now.

That said, if it were me, I'd adjust my alignment to get closer to the Thuren specs and go from there.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Got it. I wouldn't have guessed that based on jitteriness, so thanks for clarifying.

Since you changed up your geometry a bit with the PW wheels, there's a chance the same feeling was there before, just more exaggerated now.

That said, if it were me, I'd adjust my alignment to get closer to the Thuren specs and go from there.
No PW wheels here. Completely stock straight from the dealer. 289 miles now. Small bump = short duration. Bigger bump = longer duration. Definitely in the rear. Or behind the cab as it pitches you forward.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
No PW wheels here. Completely stock straight from the dealer. 289 miles now. Small bump = short duration. Bigger bump = longer duration. Definitely in the rear. Or behind the cab as it pitches you forward.
Ahh. Sorry, mixed your issue up with the OPs.

Do you have a rattle? Cab mounts have been a nuisance for some. I torqued all of mine and eliminated a rattle early on.

I recall someone else had a loose spare that was clanking around underneath on bumps.

Both may be worth a look.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I’m going to check all of that and make sure it isn’t a cab mount loose or something. Thanks for reminding me.

madmat

Reaction score
Seems like maybe it’s a combination of the long box crew cabs. With some weight in the bed it’s fine. Just jittery when not loaded

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Seems like maybe it’s a combination of the long box crew cabs. With some weight in the bed it’s fine. Just jittery when not loaded
Well thats to be expected with nearly 22ft of truck…..

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I got all the cab mounts checked and they are all tight and the spare. Got my running boards on and a good coat of wax on it. Took me 3 days to get all of the waxing done. Lol

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I only have that issue when I'm on a rough road as it should, but those coils are worlds better than the leaf springs on my older 2500 Chevy. This thing floats on the highway though.

Users who are viewing this thread