Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-Road Package being offered in the Power Wagon.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Just read on here the Power Wagon being offered with the off-road-package [2000 $$] add. What are the thoughts of the electronic shift-on-the-fly for the Power Wagon ? I feel I would still like to have the manual shift. Not to crazy on the Bead-Lock wheels.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
just my opinion, means nothing ..

I prefer the manual shift. I’m not sure if it’s marketed as shift-on-the-fly but I have shifted it while moving (low speed) every time. Fwiw any floor shift 4x4 is easier to shift while the vehicle is at least rolling. The power wagon does have all those cool buttons so I can see the allure of the electronic shift. I believe i read it is becoming standard next year.

The wheels I have no preference either way. I love true beadlocks on rock crawlers that are using sub-10psi in the tires, they’re a necessity. But, I don’t think they’re necessary on the PW. I believe They say “beadlock capable” so I assume you can mount the tire with or without the beadlock but I cannot confirm that.

el_barto

Reaction score
Looks like the “Power Wagon Off-Road Package” , now on the online configurator as a $2000 package adds the beadlock capable wheels and rock rails/steps that are on the 75AE. Manual shift transfer case is is standard, with the e-shift an option.

The beadlock capable wheels come with beauty rings and tires are mounted as normal. You can buy the beadlock rings separately (~$100/wheel) in order to mount the tires in the “beadlock” configuration. Similar to the beadlock capable wheels sold by Jeep and Ram (for the 1500)

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Looks like the “Power Wagon Off-Road Package” , now on the online configurator as a $2000 package adds the beadlock capable wheels and rock rails/steps that are on the 75AE. Manual shift transfer case is is standard, with the e-shift an option.

The beadlock capable wheels come with beauty rings and tires are mounted as normal. You can buy the beadlock rings separately (~$100/wheel) in order to mount the tires in the “beadlock” configuration. Similar to the beadlock capable wheels sold by Jeep and Ram (for the 1500)
Thanks for clearing that up, dude

jadmt

Reaction score
too bad they don't offer the wheels and rock rails separately instead of as a combined package. Not that I will be order a new one any time soon.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

RAM Quietly Introduces Power Wagon Off-Road Package For Its 2021 Models:​

Adding Bead-Lock Wheels & New Rock Rails To Lineup...​

1616169200251.png

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
My thoughts:

I had that "shifter" on my 5th gen 1500. It worked great and I would probably get it if it was a free option and allowed me to keep my bench seat. Keep in mind you can shift the floor shifter into 4hi up to 50mph.
I would not trust the RAM factory rock rails to take the beating my rails already have. The RAM ones are not mounted very well and appear to be mounted just like side steps.
Bead locks are a nice to have, but I air down to 20 psi already with no issues.

So the shifter is the only thing that appeals to me and only because it would free up space on the floor in front of my bench seat for more gadgets to be mounted.

el_barto

Reaction score
I think the e shifter is unrelated to the “offroad package”

Trooper

Reaction score
power wagon was built to be offroad?.. why add an offroad package, perhaps I am missing the obvious here?

Mat_HD

Reaction score
power wagon was built to be offroad?.. why add an offroad package, perhaps I am missing the obvious here?
Seems redundant to me too!
Seems like its directed at people who are looking to get more into rock crawling instead of overlanding style stuff. You don't need beadlocks nor rock rails for overlanding, but you really need rails for rock crawling, and beadlocks are a huge plus.

michael

Reaction score
My thoughts:

I had that "shifter" on my 5th gen 1500. It worked great and I would probably get it if it was a free option and allowed me to keep my bench seat. Keep in mind you can shift the floor shifter into 4hi up to 50mph.
I would not trust the RAM factory rock rails to take the beating my rails already have. The RAM ones are not mounted very well and appear to be mounted just like side steps.

So the shifter is the only thing that appeals to me and only because it would free up space on the floor in front of my bench seat for more gadgets to be mounted.
My thoughts:

Anyone have thoughts on OEM factory rock rails on 2021 Power wagon. Curious on quality compared to frame-mounted White Knuckle rock rails.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on OEM factory rock rails on 2021 Power wagon. Curious on quality compared to frame-mounted White Knuckle rock rails.

Someone already posted pics of the RAM sliders and how they mount. The fit finish is great, but functionally they are lacking. Also, the ram ones they don’t have a kick out in the rear.

stickshifter

Reaction score
I really dislike dials for shifting the transfer case. I much prefer a manual lever. Some dials are better than others (the Tacoma is terrible, the Ford F250 is pretty good), but I'll take that floor shifter everday and twice on Sunday!

Users who are viewing this thread