Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oem transforce HT

kevin588127

Reaction score
Prior to ordering my truck, I read nothing but horrible reviews of the transforce ATs. For this reason, I opted to skip the off-road package assuming I'd just be replacing the tires anyway. Being a cheap a$$ I couldn't replace brand new tires so I left them on for the winter. We had one of the wettest winters in years and I actually have to say that the transforce HTs are pretty decent in wet weather. My previous ram 1500, similarly configured, would not make my driveway if there was an inch or more of snow. Even with Wildpeak ATs on the half ton, I'd have to put it in 4x4. In my current 2500 I've only had to use 4x4 once (fresh snow over an icy base) to get up the same driveway, often times with 3+ inches. I'm not here to say that the HT are the best tires available but they certainly aren't as bad as the reviews I read on the transforce ATs. Would be curious if others are finding similar results.

tchur1

Reaction score
I’m glad they they are working well for you, and those post is not intended to trash the transforces. I live in Lake Tahoe though and after Picking up my truck last march was shocked at how poorly the performed in snow and ice. I figured they would be tolerable for but I couldnt get them off quickly enough.

Thankfully I did as we have had over 600” of snowfall at my house this winter and there is no chance I would have gotten home on multiple occasions this winter on the stock tires. I think the transforces can be OK in the conditions you outlined but anything more then that and you’re playing with fire IMO.

I currently have km3s on the truck and while they aren’t the best winter tire, they have performed really well this winter and inspired more confidence than I expected.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I’m glad they they are working well for you, and those post is not intended to trash the transforces. I live in Lake Tahoe though and after Picking up my truck last march was shocked at how poorly the performed in snow and ice. I figured they would be tolerable for but I couldnt get them off quickly enough.

Thankfully I did as we have had over 600” of snowfall at my house this winter and there is no chance I would have gotten home on multiple occasions this winter on the stock tires. I think the transforces can be OK in the conditions you outlined but anything more then that and you’re playing with fire IMO.

I currently have km3s on the truck and while they aren’t the best winter tire, they have performed really well this winter and inspired more confidence than I expected.
Did you have the transforce AT or the HT?

I work on a military installation and our motor pool put the ATs on our shop truck last go round. They are terrible. At 15k the fronts were bald and they never had any wet traction. So in my experience the ATs probably deserve the hate that they get.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Prior to ordering my truck, I read nothing but horrible reviews of the transforce ATs. For this reason, I opted to skip the off-road package assuming I'd just be replacing the tires anyway. Being a cheap a$$ I couldn't replace brand new tires so I left them on for the winter. We had one of the wettest winters in years and I actually have to say that the transforce HTs are pretty decent in wet weather. My previous ram 1500, similarly configured, would not make my driveway if there was an inch or more of snow. Even with Wildpeak ATs on the half ton, I'd have to put it in 4x4. In my current 2500 I've only had to use 4x4 once (fresh snow over an icy base) to get up the same driveway, often times with 3+ inches. I'm not here to say that the HT are the best tires available but they certainly aren't as bad as the reviews I read on the transforce ATs. Would be curious if others are finding similar results.
I did get the off road package so I guess I have the AT's? and I live in Montana with snow on the roads to a greater or lesser degree since mid October this year. I use 4X4 mostly during the winter changing the setting based upon roads. I do miss the auto 4X4 on the 1500, but do understand the difference between the two. There was no way I was going to replace new tires and spend that money so I thought OK, if they are as bad as they say, I'll just bite the bullet. AND, I'm agreeing with you that they aren't great, but certainly not as bad as the reviews paint them. I have about 8700 miles on them and depending upon the summer may consider keeping them on through next winter. I can always get them changed.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve had both the AT and HT, and both are crap in the snow/ice/rain. The AT does better in snow than the HT, and the HT would do slightly better on sheer ice due to increased biting surfaces.

I do run my tire pressure for my weight, so they get aired down pretty far when empty and that helps.

Neither tire is worth buying.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I would never buy them by choice, but can "live" with them as OEM's at least for a season...maybe two. I'll next go with good "snow rated" tires. I've always put KO2's on my 1500's short on life but great overall in snow and rain at least for around 34 to 36K. But, I may look at the Wildpeaks for the 2500 hearing pretty good things about them. I'm wondering what they put on the Canadian versions OEM as the Canadians require snow rated tires in, I think, all provinces...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I would never buy them by choice, but can "live" with them as OEM's at least for a season...maybe two. I'll next go with good "snow rated" tires. I've always put KO2's on my 1500's short on life but great overall in snow and rain at least for around 34 to 36K. But, I may look at the Wildpeaks for the 2500 hearing pretty good things about them. I'm wondering what they put on the Canadian versions OEM as the Canadians require snow rated tires in, I think, all provinces...

The trashforce HT and AT are both M+S rated, so I doubt they get anything different.

tchur1

Reaction score
Did you have the transforce AT or the HT?

I work on a military installation and our motor pool put the ATs on our shop truck last go round. They are terrible. At 15k the fronts were bald and they never had any wet traction. So in my experience the ATs probably deserve the hate that they get.
ATs came stock on my truck.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to ATs or HTs as your post had mentioned each tire. Sounds like my experience with the ATs lines up with yours.

Dave01

Reaction score
To the OP, not sure I understand why knowing you'd replace tires would lead you to delete the off road package???

I found the Transforce's to be completely unusable in snow. I'll put them back on in a month just to run them for the summer and then chuck them. I couldn't be happier with my Wildpeak's.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Thankfully I did as we have had over 600” of snowfall at my house this winter
As much as I hate to derail the thread, I just gotta ask. Did you really mean 50ft of snow? I know y'all have been pummeled out there this year but how the H do you find your house? Is it 4 story? LOL

kevin588127

Reaction score
ATs came stock on my truck.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to ATs or HTs as your post had mentioned each tire. Sounds like my experience with the ATs lines up with yours.
Sorry, my personal truck has the HT. Our fleet vehicles have had the ATs. I knew that they were garbage from my experience driving our shop truck.

kevin588127

Reaction score
To the OP, not sure I understand why knowing you'd replace tires would lead you to delete the off road package???

I found the Transforce's to be completely unusable in snow. I'll put them back on in a month just to run them for the summer and then chuck them. I couldn't be happier with my Wildpeak's.
The off-road package was 500 bucks and from what I could tell, the only thing I would get was the AT tires, different shocks and hill decent. I knew the ATs sucked so they weren't really a selling point. Wasn't really sure about the quality of the oem "bilsteins". The only thing I missed out on for 500 bucks was the hill decent and that can be added easily. So far I'm not unhappy with my decision

Again, not touting these as an amazing tire but they are certainly not the worst or even as bad as what I'd heard. I wouldn't buy them as replacements but they get the job done considering they were "free".

The point of my post was to see if most of the unhappy reviewers had ATs and not the HT.

tchur1

Reaction score
As much as I hate to derail the thread, I just gotta ask. Did you really mean 50ft of snow? I know y'all have been pummeled out there this year but how the H do you find your house? Is it 4 story? LOL
Haha very fair questions. 600" is snowfall totals, snowpack then usually settles to about half but ya my house is buried. I have a 2 story house and can just walk from one side of the house over the roof to the other side without issue. Its
crazy.
Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 10.50.08 AM.png

The walls in that photo are like 15-20' tall and you can kind of see the house hidden in the background.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There is only a couple of provinces that require snow tires but we also get the trashforce as Ram does not sell them with anything else and it would still be the buyers responsibility to get winter rated tires if needed.

The trashforce HT and AT are both M+S rated, so I doubt they get anything different.

M+S rated is not winter approved it just means they are all season. They need The 3 peak mountain with the snow flake to be winter approved for the provinces that require snow tires

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
M+S rated is not winter approved it just means they are all season. They need The 3 peak mountain with the snow flake to be winter approved for the provinces that require snow tires

Interesting.

Ram doesn’t list any OE tires that are 3PMSF rated, so I wonder how that works.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Interesting.

Ram doesn’t list any OE tires that are 3PMSF rated, so I wonder how that works.
Like i said if you buy a truck you are responsible for putting winter tires on it if required. No manufacture sells vehicles with winter tires, but most dealers sell winter tire and wheel pkgs they will put in the financing if you want

tchur1

Reaction score
Like i said if you buy a truck you are responsible for putting winter tires on it if required. No manufacture sells vehicles with winter tires, but most dealers sell winter tire and wheel pkgs they will put in the financing if you want
I could definitely be wrong but arent the Duratracs that come on the Power Wagon 3 peak rated?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I could definitely be wrong but arent the Duratracs that come on the Power Wagon 3 peak rated?
No idea if those ones are as some are some are not usually the ones with stud holes are rated.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
So I've got the ATs, and I live in the south where we've had exactly zero inches (or flakes) of snow in the past 5 years. They are good enough and I don't spend any time offroad, but not the greatest in the rain. I'll keep them on until they need replacing.

I'll be going to the Continental Terrain Contact HTs once these go. I do love BFG ATs but they eat up a couple MPGs and aren't as quiet.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I do love BFG ATs but they eat up a couple MPGs and aren't as quiet.
If you're talking about KO2's, they're rock throwing bastards too. A friend from work used to run them and had to park on gravel at work. Every time I walked by his truck, each tire looked like it had 200-300 rocks stuck in it. I would not follow him out of the parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread