Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Gooseneck or BW Gooseneck hitch?

g00fy

Reaction score
I got my 2500 6.7 back in April, went hunting for the best deal i could find locally on trucks with as many of the features i wanted as possible. Unfortunately one of the features I was not able to get was the factory gooseneck kit.

So now i'm debating on whether to purchase & install the factory gooseneck kit, or go with an aftermarket BW setup?

I really like the factory kits, and i like the way the ball locks in and everything w/o needing a release lever in one of the rear wheel wells like the BW my buddy has on his old F250.

The main reason I'm even considering the BW is it looks a good bit easier to install with the templates & such it comes with and it doesn't require lifting the bed...

So insight from guys who installed, or own either or is much appreciated, thanks.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
I was unable to find the OEM Gooseneck Prep Kit (82215839AB ) for months. Just this evening I did receive all of the parts which make up that kit. It's being paired with B&W's GNXA2062. If I had not been able to locate all of the pieces for oem, I likely would have opted for Curt's Part #60633.

zblink1888

Reaction score
Id stay away from 60633 it doesnt fit the 19+ trucks very well

If you watch the etrailer install video from 18min mark until the end the passenger side chain safety loop interferes with the exhaust

It squeaks, rattles and sticks up about 2 inches and wont sit flush

I didnt notice before install and not a happy camper, im seeing about having curt spring for a new truck bed because it is a design flaw that even curt admits to knowing about

Cant just shorten the u bolt because that could take away hitch functionality and not allow the safety chain hook to fit

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Oem kit is great if your like me and have a 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers the versatility is great

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I have an '04 with the B&W GN hitch, and a '20 with the factory setup. Personally, I'll take the factory puck setup every day. Keeping the release rod, springs, etc from rusting and sticking was a major PITA. If you're in TX or NM, it's probably a non-issue. but if you're up here in the rust belt, it's major problems. B&W makes good products and it's a good system - but it requires constant maintenance IMHO to keep it working properly. The puck system just plain works.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I'd always get the factory GN and puck system over aftermarket. They are welded to the frame vs. bolted (aftermarket). Just a better engineering solution IMO.

zblink1888

Reaction score
I'd always get the factory GN and puck system over aftermarket. They are welded to the frame vs. bolted (aftermarket). Just a better engineering solution IMO.
Pretty sure they bolt in and you can buy the parts and do an install

NDanecker

Reaction score
Pretty sure they bolt in and you can buy the parts and do an install
They may have changed it. I'm going by just what I've seen in video and pics, and it appears to be welded. See below video.

RPS1030

Reaction score
They may have changed it. I'm going by just what I've seen in video and pics, and it appears to be welded. See below video.

There are bolts are either side of the ball. The crossmember is obviously welded in, but the ball mount is likely bolted in. It is available as a bolt-in option from the parts dept.

The B&W that I installed in my 19 bolts to the same crossmember. Much less involved than the B&W I installed back in my 3rd gen with the center section, cross rails and frame plates.

zblink1888

Reaction score

The cross member is welded in the frame and is part of the rear suspendiob but you can see the hitch bolted into that

But thats a cool video i hadn't seen them show the frame changes

NDanecker

Reaction score
When I added a GN hitch to my 04 I needed to use rails, side brackets and other parts. It did not have the welded in cross member. Guess that is what I was referring to.

So - if the welded cross member is included without the GN prep does the B&W GN kit just include a similar GN install that bolts to the OEM cross member? If so that is pretty simple (much easier then on the 04 that I am familiar with and used to).

Good stuff.

zblink1888

Reaction score
When I added a GN hitch to my 04 I needed to use rails, side brackets and other parts. It did not have the welded in cross member. Guess that is what I was referring to.

So - if the welded cross member is included without the GN prep does the B&W GN kit just include a similar GN install that bolts to the OEM cross member? If so that is pretty simple (much easier then on the 04 that I am familiar with and used to).

Good stuff.
Yes sir

Just 4 to 8 bolts and cut a couple holes in the bed and youre all done

4 bolts for the curt hitch
8 bolts for the b&w

NDanecker

Reaction score
If that easy I may remove the OEM and install the B&W turnover, and use an offset GN ball with the Reese Goosebox. My other choice is Anderson GN ball kit. Decisions. LOL

g00fy

Reaction score
Just wanted to update, I pulled the trigger on the OEM Gooseneck and 5th wheel prep kit. The most cost effective way to do this so you don't end up with extra pieces is to order the 5th wheel prep kit: 82215838AB then buy the individual components for the gooseneck hitch:
gooseneck receiver - 68349568AA
X 2 mounting straps - 68366718AA
X 4 nuts - 6512099AA
X 4 bolts - 6509456AA

Install was not too bad, lifting the bed was my biggest concern, turned out that was very easy. Remove rear 4 bed bolts, loosen the front two, push the 4 or 5 Christmas trees that secure the harness to the back of the bed out to give the harness more play, then lift the rear of the bed and block it. The bed was light enough I was actually able to put some gloves on and lift it by hand while my buddy went under and blocked it.

After that bolting all the pieces in was easy, then dropped the bed back down, reinstalled the bolts and cut the holes for everything.

Cutting the holes was the most tedious part, the directions kinda suck, they want you to use the bed ribs as your starting reference point, which may have worked fine for an uncoated bed. However with the bed liner it was very hard to tell where the where the ribs ended, also they only gave you measurements from their reference point to the rear most holes in the bed, the rest of the holes are measured off the first 2 holes, so if you screw up the first measurement, all the measurements will be off.

It took some extra checking, but we were able to get all the holes within 3/8" of where they needed to be so it all worked out, and I'm happy with how everything came out. Once the trim rings were installed you can't even tell the holes are a little off.

The whole job took about 5 hours with a lot of BSing, triple checking things, and a lunch break. If anyone is considering adding a gooseneck or puck system to their truck, don't be intimidated by the requirement of lifting the bed, it's really easy, it's the measuring and drilling part that sucks, but you'll have to do that regardless of what system you get.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just wanted to update, I pulled the trigger on the OEM Gooseneck and 5th wheel prep kit. The most cost effective way to do this so you don't end up with extra pieces is to order the 5th wheel prep kit: 82215838AB then buy the individual components for the gooseneck hitch:
gooseneck receiver - 68349568AA
X 2 mounting straps - 68366718AA
X 4 nuts - 6512099AA
X 4 bolts - 6509456AA

Install was not too bad, lifting the bed was my biggest concern, turned out that was very easy. Remove rear 4 bed bolts, loosen the front two, push the 4 or 5 Christmas trees that secure the harness to the back of the bed out to give the harness more play, then lift the rear of the bed and block it. The bed was light enough I was actually able to put some gloves on and lift it by hand while my buddy went under and blocked it.

After that bolting all the pieces in was easy, then dropped the bed back down, reinstalled the bolts and cut the holes for everything.

Cutting the holes was the most tedious part, the directions kinda suck, they want you to use the bed ribs as your starting reference point, which may have worked fine for an uncoated bed. However with the bed liner it was very hard to tell where the where the ribs ended, also they only gave you measurements from their reference point to the rear most holes in the bed, the rest of the holes are measured off the first 2 holes, so if you screw up the first measurement, all the measurements will be off.

It took some extra checking, but we were able to get all the holes within 3/8" of where they needed to be so it all worked out, and I'm happy with how everything came out. Once the trim rings were installed you can't even tell the holes are a little off.

The whole job took about 5 hours with a lot of BSing, triple checking things, and a lunch break. If anyone is considering adding a gooseneck or puck system to their truck, don't be intimidated by the requirement of lifting the bed, it's really easy, it's the measuring and drilling part that sucks, but you'll have to do that regardless of what system you get.
Other than look the holes can be off by quite a bit and still not affect connecting but it does look bad if they are off

g00fy

Reaction score
Other than look the holes can be off by quite a bit and still not affect connecting but it does look bad if they are off

Yea it didn't look great, but the Trim rings that came with the OEM Aftermarket Kit (oxymoron? but idk how else to describe it) are way nicer than the clip in plastic trim pieces you get with the puck system from the factory. With the rubber trim rings installed you can't tell the holes are off at all, looks really good.
1632229941279.png

1632229956361.png

1632229971331.png

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea it didn't look great, but the Trim rings that came with the OEM Aftermarket Kit (oxymoron? but idk how else to describe it) are way nicer than the clip in plastic trim pieces you get with the puck system from the factory. With the rubber trim rings installed you can't tell the holes are off at all, looks really good.
View attachment 22216

View attachment 22217

View attachment 22219
Link to those rings? I hate the oem ones

g00fy

Reaction score
Unfortunately according to Parts Guru Benny @allmoparparts.com these trim rings are not sold separately outside the kit. The way I purchased all my parts for this I'm missing the matching trim ring for the gooseneck hitch and I cannot find it anywhere. Hopefully maybe if enough of us search the internet we can maybe find an aftermarket knock off.

1632230393827.png

1632230462589.png

UglyViking

Reaction score
I don't have a goose, nor a 5er, so this is not personal experience.

That said, I'd get the B&W no question. The ability to store the ball or run an offset are huge and well worth the price of admission.

I don't have one yet, mainly because I can't decide if I want the space of a 5er more or a cap for keeping hunting/shooting gear and the pup warm and dry. Once I decide on that I'll make my move but if I go goose/5er it will be with a B&W.

Users who are viewing this thread