Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM fender flares on truck without

Erwin136

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if anyone has done a retrofit of fender flares for a truck without them I have some that I’ll be getting from a 2021 truck that had them from the factory I was wondering if anyone has done something like this I have a 2020 tradesman and have heard the oem ones have clips he says they were removed and that it’ll bolt right up do they just go into the holes where the liners go those same holes and do they actually hold on tight like they won’t flap when driving. Do I need to get any special trim pieces since mine didn’t come with them from factory like the plastic pieces that run along the bottom of the truck.

b307a1

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if anyone has done a retrofit of fender flares for a truck without them I have some that I’ll be getting from a 2021 truck that had them from the factory I was wondering if anyone has done something like this I have a 2020 tradesman and have heard the oem ones have clips he says they were removed and that it’ll bolt right up do they just go into the holes where the liners go those same holes and do they actually hold on tight like they won’t flap when driving. Do I need to get any special trim pieces since mine didn’t come with them from factory like the plastic pieces that run along the bottom of the truck.
They are not going to work as designed on your Tradesman.

The trim levels that get those factory flares have slots punched out of the quarter panels that those clips fit into in order to hold them on.

Erwin136

Reaction score
They are not going to work as designed on your Tradesman.

The trim levels that get those factory flares have slots punched out of the quarter panels that those clips fit into in order to hold them on.
Could those clips be removed or say broken and therefore then installed by the screws??

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I had it done on my truck while getting my bumpers color matched. You take the plastic clips off (they slide) and trim off the plastic alignment post. They bolt right up inside the wheel well and use 3m tape where the flares meet the body panels. No extra holes.

Erwin136

Reaction score
I had it done on my truck while getting my bumpers color matched. You take the plastic clips off (they slide) and trim off the plastic alignment post. They bolt right up inside the wheel well and use 3m tape where the flares meet the body panels. No extra holes.
So you put on OEM fender flares do you have any pics. Do I need to get new trim pieces like the plastic pieces that run along with bottom of the truck for them to fit with each other and what if they came of a truck with them do you I think I could just buy replacement 3m tape

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
So you put on OEM fender flares do you have any pics. Do I need to get new trim pieces like the plastic pieces that run along with bottom of the truck for them to fit with each other and what if they came of a truck with them do you I think I could just buy replacement 3m tape
Yes, they are OEM Laramie style flares. No new trim pieces added, but the shop did tell me the trimmed a little piece from the spats, I believe. Someone posted in another thread about this the correct 3m tape to use, but I'm not able to look it up right now. Mine didn't come with tape. Just reused the bolts from the inner fender and apply the 2 sided 3m.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 246

Erwin136

Reaction score
Yes, they are OEM Laramie style flares. No new trim pieces added, but the shop did tell me the trimmed a little piece from the spats, I believe. Someone posted in another thread about this the correct 3m tape to use, but I'm not able to look it up right now. Mine didn't come with tape. Just reused the bolts from the inner fender and apply the 2 sided 3m.
Ok I’ll look into the 3m tape does it just go along the edge of the flare where it meets the fender?? and you mentioned the tabs that come on them can be removed while others will have to be cut off correct ??

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
Ok I’ll look into the 3m tape does it just go along the edge of the flare where it meets the fender?? and you mentioned the tabs that come on them can be removed while others will have to be cut off correct ??
Yes, just goes along exactly as you describe. The white plastic tabs slide off, and there is at least one little plastic alignment post that I cut off with a box cutter / razor blade. Its really that simple, don't over-think it like I did before buying. Keep in mind though, I had mine color matched. They come primed from Mopar.

Erwin136

Reaction score
Yes, just goes along exactly as you describe. The white plastic tabs slide off, and there is at least one little plastic alignment post that I cut off with a box cutter / razor blade. Its really that simple, don't over-think it like I did before buying. Keep in mind though, I had mine color matched. They come primed from Mopar.
I’m getting mine from a fellow member and he said they’d work on my truck and I just wanted to make sure we’ve got the same body color so that was a plus do you happen to have part numbers just so I can see if I can see what specific type of 3m tape is used

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I’m getting mine from a fellow member and he said they’d work on my truck and I just wanted to make sure we’ve got the same body color so that was a plus do you happen to have part numbers just so I can see if I can see what specific type of 3m tape is used
This is the tape

Edit: Here's the flare thread I used:

Soclean6.7

Reaction score
Could you post some more up close pics around the spats specifically? I am concerned how much trimming I am going to have to do and if it will look right. Doesnt have to be clean! lol Thanks in advance for your time!

Blazchasr

Reaction score
Somewhere on another ram forum I found a part number for the oem fender flares. It come as a whole kit, spat's included. I ordered it back in February and just got them in today. They come with all new screws, front flares and spats, and rear flares and spats. They also have an extra set of spats for what I assume the rear if you have a long bed. I cut the alignment pins off and removed the inner clips from the flares. I test fitted one side before I have them painted and that is what are in the pictures. They fit very tight at the top. You have to push the flare in to get the screw to line up. Haven't decided yet if I will use 3m tape in place of the clips or some rubber that will rest on fender or maybe something else.

Attachments

• 20210527_162825.jpg
    20210527_162825.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 20210527_163128.jpg
    20210527_163128.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 185

flan

Reaction score
Somewhere on another ram forum I found a part number for the oem fender flares. It come as a whole kit, spat's included. I ordered it back in February and just got them in today. They come with all new screws, front flares and spats, and rear flares and spats. They also have an extra set of spats for what I assume the rear if you have a long bed. I cut the alignment pins off and removed the inner clips from the flares. I test fitted one side before I have them painted and that is what are in the pictures. They fit very tight at the top. You have to push the flare in to get the screw to line up. Haven't decided yet if I will use 3m tape in place of the clips or some rubber that will rest on fender or maybe something else.
Can you post a part number for that kit, also about how far do they stick out past the metal fender? They look good!

Woodall83

Reaction score
Thanks for that they look considerably cheaper than the aftermarket offerings. Being OEM I’m sure they fit very well too.
I hope to get mine in next Friday (it’s has been a journey just getting them). I will test fit them then off to the body shop to color match.

Soclean6.7

Reaction score
Thanks for the post and pics. Did the spats on the bedsides in front of the wheels that were already on your truck fit or was there new ones in the kit you bought as well??? When I look at those kits I only see 2 front spats and 2 rear spats depending on cab. I am wondering about the bedside box spats. Thanks!

Blazchasr

Reaction score
Thanks for the post and pics. Did the spats on the bedsides in front of the wheels that were already on your truck fit or was there new ones in the kit you bought as well??? When I look at those kits I only see 2 front spats and 2 rear spats depending on cab. I am wondering about the bedside box spats. Thanks!
Those didn't change. Just the ones behind the front and rear wheel. They are shorter and the flares come down and mate up with them

Users who are viewing this thread