Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM alternate chassis fuel filter

Thewookie

Reaction score
This is the one I took off my 22 3500 when I picked it up at the dealer and drove it home. I did open it up and the construction and parts looked just like a mopar filter. Can’t speak to the media itself.

You note that the slip on filter tool will now work. I had to use a strap to get it off. IMG_2056.jpeg

gpattikjr

Reaction score
I installed one. $50 instead of $80. Was a last minute purchase from the dealer.

Was explained to me that it is an aftermarket mopar approved economic filter.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these for the rear only?
https://blackmarketperformance.com/...7-cummins-rear-cat-water-filter-adapter-13-18

I have zero desire to change the under hood filter setup, but I absolutely hate the upside down canister design of the 19+ rear filter. It’s a ****ing mess, no matter how long you drain it.

I’ve only changed the fuel filters once on my ‘22 but I don’t recall it being an issue.

As far as that kit, it’s likely less efficient than the OEM filter so you would have to run something else. It amazes me how little filter research people do when selling a filter “upgrade”.

Trash Panda

Reaction score
I’ve only changed the fuel filters once on my ‘22 but I don’t recall it being an issue.

As far as that kit, it’s likely less efficient than the OEM filter so you would have to run something else. It amazes me how little filter research people do when selling a filter “upgrade”.
From what I have gathered, the OEM rear filter is approximately a 10 micron filter, and the CAT alternative is every bit that much efficient. Not a downgrade in the slightest from what I have seen.

Wouldn’t ever dream of swapping out the nano net filter on the block for that very reason.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered, the OEM rear filter is approximately a 10 micron filter, and the CAT alternative is every bit that much efficient. Not a downgrade in the slightest from what I have seen.

Wouldn’t ever dream of swapping out the nano net filter on the block for that very reason.

I’d be more concerned with the f/w separation ratings than filtration. That particular filter is only rated at 90% emulsified water separation, and the OE filter is likely rated at 95% or higher.

The owners manual states the chassis mounted filter is rated at 5 micron.

I’m trying to get some specs on the OEM filters, but it hasn’t been easy.

Trash Panda

Reaction score
I’d be more concerned with the f/w separation ratings than filtration. That particular filter is only rated at 90% emulsified water separation, and the OE filter is likely rated at 95% or higher.

The owners manual states the chassis mounted filter is rated at 5 micron.

I’m trying to get some specs on the OEM filters, but it hasn’t been easy.
Well, after some research, I have found a Donaldson that cross references with that particular CAT unit, and has the same emulsified water rating as the OEM.

It’s becoming harder and harder to say no to the spin on system. As long as it doesn’t make me more prone to a gel up in Wyoming winters, I’d be all for it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, after some research, I have found a Donaldson that cross references with that particular CAT unit, and has the same emulsified water rating as the OEM.

It’s becoming harder and harder to say no to the spin on system. As long as it doesn’t make me more prone to a gel up in Wyoming winters, I’d be all for it.

It appears you would be removing the aft fuel heater, so you will have a greater tendency to gel. IME, fuel gels in the first unheated filter inline.

That’s good f/w sep, but will not work for warranty purposes when the owners manual calls for a 5um chassis mounted filter.

I’m a big fan of running the best filters possible, and have made my own filter setups in the past. For this generation of truck you simply can’t beat OEM. There will likely be a tradeoff to any aftermarket setup.

Warranty aside I’d run a Baldwin BF1212 or Fleetguard FS1000 (if there was clearance), because I don’t personally think the primary filter needs to be 5um when the secondary is 3um. But that irrelevant for warranty purposes.

BMP, and others, are producing a solution for a perceived problem and are capitalizing on uneducated consumers. The simple fact that they almost all use the Cat 1R-0750 as the secondary filter indicates they are selling to internet folklore and not actually trying to improve filtration. The 1R-0750 is a good filter, but no longer the best and hasn’t been for over a decade. It also hasn’t been considered a 2um filter in 20 years, but people that sell it call it a 2um filter.

Trash Panda

Reaction score
It appears you would be removing the aft fuel heater, so you will have a greater tendency to gel. IME, fuel gels in the first unheated filter inline.

That’s good f/w sep, but will not work for warranty purposes when the owners manual calls for a 5um chassis mounted filter.

I’m a big fan of running the best filters possible, and have made my own filter setups in the past. For this generation of truck you simply can’t beat OEM. There will likely be a tradeoff to any aftermarket setup.

Warranty aside I’d run a Baldwin BF1212 or Fleetguard FS1000 (if there was clearance), because I don’t personally think the primary filter needs to be 5um when the secondary is 3um. But that irrelevant for warranty purposes.

BMP, and others, are producing a solution for a perceived problem and are capitalizing on uneducated consumers. The simple fact that they almost all use the Cat 1R-0750 as the secondary filter indicates they are selling to internet folklore and not actually trying to improve filtration. The 1R-0750 is a good filter, but no longer the best and hasn’t been for over a decade. It also hasn’t been considered a 2um filter in 20 years, but people that sell it call it a 2um filter.
They do sell a fuel heater for their setup, and id absolutely run it.

I’m just about out of the warranty period, and have one more rear OEM filter to burn up anyways.

I do agree about the CAT filter mythology, they simply aren’t the standard that they used to be.

As far as the 5 micron rating of the OEM filter, at what efficiency rating is that? I cannot find any sort of info on that particular number. That Donaldson unit I referenced is 99% at 10 microns.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
They do sell a fuel heater for their setup, and id absolutely run it.

I’m just about out of the warranty period, and have one more rear OEM filter to burn up anyways.

I do agree about the CAT filter mythology, they simply aren’t the standard that they used to be.

As far as the 5 micron rating of the OEM filter, at what efficiency rating is that? I cannot find any sort of info on that particular number.

I have only ever seen Dodge/Ram list absolute filtration requirements, so that’s how I’d treat the 5um listing.

The P553203 would be my 1st choice for a filter that would keep the warranty happy, if it fits in there.

How much vertical clearance is there for the aftermarket head, heater, and filter? It would be a bad day to have the driveshaft tap the filter. That may be one reason Ram uses the cartridge to stay short and fat, may…

Trash Panda

Reaction score
I have only ever seen Dodge/Ram list absolute filtration requirements, so that’s how I’d treat the 5um listing.

The P553203 would be my 1st choice for a filter that would keep the warranty happy, if it fits in there.

How much vertical clearance is there for the aftermarket head, heater, and filter? It would be a bad day to have the driveshaft tap the filter. That may be one reason Ram uses the cartridge to stay short and fat, may…
There is quite a bit of room off the bottom of the cartridge, but I don’t think we would wanna be running an absurd filter length either.

Would be worth taking some measurements and finding out for sure. Dump the air bags and measure clearance sitting on the bump stops.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
do you guys not have winter fuel? I have removed fuel heaters in the past and had no issue with gelling in -40

Trash Panda

Reaction score
do you guys not have winter fuel? I have removed fuel heaters in the past and had no issue with gelling in -40
Wyoming winter fuel is sort of a joke.

It’s almost always “treated” number 2, and very seldom any sort of number 1 blend, from what I have seen.

I have gelled up more here than I ever did when I was working up in North Dakota, simply because they had number 1 at the pump.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

The OEM rear filter / water separator is rated at 4 micron absolute. That “CAT” filter you’re referencing is not a true “CAT” and is made by Baldwin. It’s a BF-1268 painted yellow with a CAT logo on it. It’s a 13 micron absolute filter, 4 micron nominal. Since it has a “nominal” rating, that means its efficiency is below 98.6% and doesn’t in fact capture everything in the 4 micron range.

I spoke to Cat about that particular filter, as well as the 396-4596 oil filter that will fit our trucks. Both are not CAT products and they cannot supply the specs on them as they don’t manufacture them. I therefore spoke with Baldwin who makes both of those filters, as well as the OEM filter for our trucks. At the recommendation of Baldwin, they suggested to stay with the OEM filter as it provides better filtration than the faux CAT filter that comes with the aftermarket adapter.

This is Baldwin’s reply to my request for information regarding the OEM fuel filter / separator and their over the counter equivalent BF46152:

IMG_6340.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as the BProAuto line of filters is concerned, what you’re seeing is an attempt by Stellantis to keep customers in their service bays and continue to sell parts. Mopar parts are absurdly overpriced due to their markup structure. As such, most owners do not use the dealership as a regular source for service and repair work outside of warranty. Stellantis wants to fix that issue by being able to offer a lower cost alternative that makes repair less expensive and keeps customers coming through their service departments. It also lets them edge out aftermarket competitors in favor of a “warranty-backed” OEM alternative. What you get isn’t a quality part. Their stuff is all cheaply made foreign manufactured stuff no different than many of the chain store options. The only difference is that they own it and can offer a “warranty” to back it up. (I’m not sure how iron clad that warranty is, or how good it really works especially considering the vast majority of critical components for our trucks are weeks if not months out on extended backorder.). I won’t be using the BProAuto brand, as I have no confidence in its quality, having already had to address several trucks that were using their engine air filter, the result of which was P2459 frequent regeneration and P0299 turbo underboost codes. Laughably, their filter is manufactured directly in the face of Mopar / Rams own documents which clearly call out the glue strip design as being one that can potentially cause said issues. My advice: stick with the OEM filters either in mopar boxes, or their original manufacturer boxes (Fleetguard FS53000 and Baldwin PF46152)

Last edited:

Trash Panda

Reaction score
The OEM rear filter / water separator is rated at 4 micron absolute. That “CAT” filter you’re referencing is not a true “CAT” and is made by Baldwin. It’s a BF-1268 painted yellow with a CAT logo on it. It’s a 13 micron absolute filter, 4 micron nominal. Since it has a “nominal” rating, that means its efficiency is below 98.6% and doesn’t in fact capture everything in the 4 micron range.

I spoke to Cat about that particular filter, as well as the 396-4596 oil filter that will fit our trucks. Both are not CAT products and they cannot supply the specs on them as they don’t manufacture them. I therefore spoke with Baldwin who makes both of those filters, as well as the OEM filter for our trucks. At the recommendation of Baldwin, they suggested to stay with the OEM filter as it provides better filtration than the faux CAT filter that comes with the aftermarket adapter.

This is Baldwin’s reply to my request for information regarding the OEM fuel filter / separator and their over the counter equivalent BF46152:

View attachment 72543
I have zero intention of running the “cat” filter that comes with the adapter, and would absolutely run a Donaldson or other equivalent that met the filtration and water separation levels of the OEM.

I just cannot stand that damn rear cartridge. At all.

Users who are viewing this thread