Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM 5th Wheel Trailer Plug

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just ordered a OEM 5th Wheel Trailer Plug for my 2022 Ram 2500. The directions say it is to be mounted in the tail gate pillar directly behind the tail gate. (see attached pic).
I've never seen one placed there, they are usually somewhere behind the wheel well.
Does anyone have a pick of it mounted in tailgate pillar?
You guys have pics of other locations and why you like where you have it.

Attachments

• trailer plug.JPG
    trailer plug.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 35

CdnHO

Reaction score
Mine is mounted on a plate about an inch thick just behind the wheel well. Factory install. Not sure how much clearance to the outside of the fender is at that location. I would probably follow the instructions and mount it in the tail gate piller to be safe. At least it will be a solid mounting there.

Blowenblu

Reaction score
I agree with it being sold, but don't like the location at all. With it being on the tailgate pillar when tail gate down it is exposed to damage from anything being slid in or out of bed.
I would rather mount it some where behind the wheel well where it will be much safer from damage.
Thinking one of two spots: Just to the left of my 120 volt outlet or down low to the right of the tie down ring. Kind of thinking maybe beside electric outlet if there is room behind that area.
Not sure about down by tie down ring because again it would be easy to damage the plug especially when the lid is open on it and plugged in.
I see pics online where they are mounted in these two spots. Was just wondering how well people like or don't like it in those spots.

arx237

Reaction score
Oem install 22' 2500 with 5th wheel prep package:20230920_111536.jpg

Last edited:

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
I don’t have a pic handy but mounted mine right above the “2x4” notch, literally just under where the factory plug would be. There is plenty of space between the bed wall and outer fender, I crawled under the truck and you can see up there pretty well. I would have placed mine in the exact same place as factory but up there the space narrows, I believe the factory set up has a nice 90* turn down prefabbed into the back of the plug…….my generic aftermarket came straight out, didn’t want to put that kind of bend in this wires over a sharp edge (if that makes sense).

Blowenblu

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. I think I will mount mine where ARX237 shows. I did check my wiring harness and it does have a 90 deg. elbow, so it should fit there.
Can't figure out why factory drawing shows mounting it on tailgate pillar. I've never seen any mounted there. Oh well, a got a plain now. Thanks for all the info.

Attachments

• 1695228129341.png
    1695228129341.png
    507.3 KB · Views: 17

jak

Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket plug in the driver side pillar on my 2015. I now have the factory installed plug in the bed that came with the towing package on my 2022. I preferred the plug in the pillar, much easier to access. Loaded cordwood, lumber, all kinds of stuff and never did any damage.

Users who are viewing this thread