Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OAT 10 year 150K mile Engine Coolant

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My truck messaged a low coolant message, so I checked the level and confirmed it was low. The scary part, it was just after a -5*F low with a high of a 6*F day. But I don't see any leaks and I'm told its normal to lose a little after 3 years. So while researching available coolants I could only find the OE coolant concentrate # 68163848AB. It seems that aftermarket coolant is not near the same as the OE, as it would have been in the 80's. It took a half gallon to fill it with a 50/50 mix.

So my first question is, what is the best aftermarket coolant, that will not void the warranty? And the second question, has anybody had any success finding the exact coolant under a different manufacturer.

I saw a lot of 5 year 100K mile coolants

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I used Zerex DEX-COOL (OAT) to top mine off after the pump recall (some loss).

Per the OM:
We recommend you use Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/
150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology).

That part number is listed as 10yr/150K mile OAT Coolant

Easiest for top off is just get the 50/50 mix. If you get the concentrate and mix it yourself, be sure to use distilled/deionized water. Never ever use tap water.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Don’t ever run coolant that long. 150k on a coolant is a marketing joke.

I feel the same way about recommended intervals from the manufacturers, I'd compare it to the 12K mile oil change. That being said, the truck is only 3+ years old, I think it's safe to say that I'm OK for now. When I clean the EGR cooler and related equipment, I'll replace the coolant with an aftermarket coolant that matches or exceeds OE.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Easiest for top off is just get the 50/50 mix. If you get the concentrate and mix it yourself, be sure to use distilled/deionized water. Never ever use tap water.
You are correct about Distilled/deionized water, and I did mix it with distilled water. The weird part was, I had to go to 3 different stores to find it, every one was out of distilled water.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I feel the same way about recommended intervals from the manufacturers, I'd compare it to the 12K mile oil change. That being said, the truck is only 3+ years old, I think it's safe to say that I'm OK for now. When I clean the EGR cooler and related equipment, I'll replace the coolant with an aftermarket coolant that matches or exceeds OE.
15k mile oilchanges and 150k coolant are all more than fine its been proven time and time again. The marketing pushes people to spend more money changing fluids out to raise their profits thats all. Hell we run our 150k coolant to about 500k miles in the transports we regularity check for acidity levels every oil change and check it with a refractometer for cooling capacity

RVTRKN

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO, thanks for the recommended coolant, however MS 90032 is not listed, and is the MS number on the Mopar Coolant. MS 12106 is referenced for Chrysler, for Zerex coolant you reference. Is there a superseded MS number? Also your spelling may be wrong Zerex vrs Xerex.

Last edited:

MtnRider

Reaction score
I found that the OEM mopar coolant (concentrate) was just as cheap at the dealer as anything aftermarket at wal mart so it was an easy choice. Use the Mopar OAT

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ya, I did notice it was at a competitive price, but its a 40 min drive to my dealer. Even though there is a dealer within 5 miles, my first experience when I visited the service dept., was that they were horribly rude and I refuse to give them any of my hard earned retirement money. I'll look into shipping costs.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct about Distilled/deionized water, and I did mix it with distilled water. The weird part was, I had to go to 3 different stores to find it, every one was out of distilled water.

I usually pick it up at my local grocer (Kroger). Don't think I've ever not seen it available.

@Brutal_HO, thanks for the recommended coolant, however MS 90032 is not listed, and is the MS number on the Mopar Coolant. MS 12106 is referenced for Chrysler, for Zerex coolant you reference. Is there a superseded MS number? Also your spelling may be wrong Zerex vrs Xerex.

Pretty sure the difference is only concentrate vs 50/50 premix... They're both listed as OAT coolants.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The difference is that one in embittered and one isn’t.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Thanks, you learn something every day. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread