Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not something you want to see

CharlieL

Reaction score

b1lanc

Reaction score
Since we are headed to high country, I'm not sure I have my dash set up correctly to watch what I need to watch. In the east, didn't have to worry too much. But last year, kept my eye on on coolant temp in 106F driving through Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and now I'm not sure I have my display set up where it should be for towing a heavy trailer.

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
There must be five hundred trailers a day going over that pass this time of year without issue. Definitely a freak incident. Maybe the guy sat on his brakes the whole way down like most of the truckers who turn their semis into bonfires.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Article said he was at the top of the pass so unlikely a brake issue. Maybe an unfixed 68RFE blew out trans fluid?

I've pulled Wolf Creek many times, never had an issue. Running down without an exhaust brake isn't especially fun but it's doable without incident if you know how to mountain drive.

Last time I pulled it was the most fun. 16K in tow and I could run the speed limit or a bit above if I wanted.

ETA: have to check out the GDRV Facebook groups to see if this was anyone there or more info.

flan

Reaction score
Article said he was at the top of the pass so unlikely a brake issue. Maybe an unfixed 68RFE blew out trans fluid?

I've pulled Wolf Creek many times, never had an issue. Running down without an exhaust brake isn't especially fun but it's doable without incident if you know how to mountain drive.

Last time I pulled it was the most fun. 16K in tow and I could run the speed limit or a bit above if I wanted.

ETA: have to check out the GDRV Facebook groups to see if this was anyone there or more info.
Front end looked like a older body style, I don’t believe they had the dipstick issue prior to 2021 or the valve body recall from early 2019.

b1lanc

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on the non Facebook forums - we pull a GD also. The FB link was posted on one of those forums with the same thought.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Maybe something went awry during regen? I triggered a stationary regen a while back and I'll never do that again. I had the hood up and thought it was going to burn up, it was so hot.

Some friends that run fleet Fords have had multiple fires. Not 100% sure what caused it. Of course, there's always the possibility of electrical too. A chafed wire or cable can easily start a fire. Some of these trucks get wrenched on a lot more than they used to and it can be a challenge for even a seasoned professional to get all the wires back laying like they should. I pulled a 2012 Duramax engine out a few years ago and glad I had taken plenty of pictures before starting. I had to pull more than one item back off to get wires back where they belonged.

b1lanc

Reaction score
Wonder what year the truck was and if it was part of the grid heater relay recall?

Users who are viewing this thread