Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Ram - Wrangler Question

Dave01

Reaction score
I'm only posting here because I've noticed how many members have or have had Wranglers and similar vehicles. My friend has a lifted 4 door Wrangler, 2014, and has been running Goodyear Duratrac's, LT315/70-17, 121/1180, load range D. They want the same size, no smaller. I recommended Falken Wildpeak AT3's. They drive a lot of road miles, very little off road, and since they were maybe half worn the Duratracs are extremely loud, would like something somewhat quieter.

My question is this - like I said the Duratracs are load range D. A guy that works at the same building has Wildpeak AT3's in 35x12.5-17 that are load range E. A guy I spoke to at a tire store recommended staying at the 315/70-17 which seems to be almost identical in size to 35/12.5, but in load range C. I'm now confused on what to recommend to them. The C recommendation seems right based on load, the Wrangler certainly isn't heavy and they rarely tow anything.

I'd really appreciate some advice!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Got to be careful with load range and rating of the vechicle.
Been there done that.
It has nothing to do with the tire, but the legal lawyers and Firestone.
If the load rating of the tire dies not match what's on the sticker on the vechicle, they won't install them.
My PW weighs just over 7K lbs.
I bought D rated tires as they didn't come in E rating. Tires are rated at 3K per tire. That's 12K lbs total. Ain't no way my truck can carry 2 1/2 tons.
But because the truck says E rated, tire shop would not install them on the rims. I had to take them to my buddies shop and install them.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Multiple Wrangler owner here. With what you said regarding their use of the vehicle I recommend going with load range C tires for several reasons. Better ride quality, easier to dial in the correct pressure and lower maintenance. My guess is they were not rotating the Duratrac's enough. Which resulted in cupping and uneven wear, leading to noisy tires. With tires that big it really needs a 5 tire rotation every 2500-3000 miles or they'll start cupping.

Load range D and E are great if you're taking it in the rocks a lot. That thicker sidewall will allow for much lower pressure for better traction. For a 90% street use vehicle stick with C. C are adequate enough for light/medium off road use.

Good tire in that size and load range is the BFG T/A KO2. If load range D isn't an issue I run Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx's in 35x12.5.

1692624029296.png

Dave01

Reaction score
Really appreciate the reply Riccochet. They put tires on last week, but your post makes me feel more comfortable about the choice. They went with the Falken AT3W's in load range C, same 315/70-17 size they had on previously. So far they are very happy with the reduction in noise and better ride.

I believe they were inflated to something like 48 psi, I was going to check when I see them. Not sure what people tend to run for pressure on these, I might have gone a bit lower but curious what you think.

jadmt

Reaction score
tell them to drop the pressure to mid 30's. I have had 4 jk rubicons and they will like the ride so much better lowering the psi. I ran falken atw3's and they are a great tire but do not need 48psi. offroad drop down to 12-15psi.

Dave01

Reaction score
Thanks. I had been thinking 40-42, will suggest they try high 30's and see what they think.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Yeah, 48 PSI is WAY too high. I run mine at 26 PSI. Best way to figure out the right pressure is via the chalk test. Put a fat line of chalk across the tread and drive a couple hundred feet. Keep decreasing pressure until you see the chalk being removed across all of the tread. Which is another issue with D and E tires, since they are stiffer you need to run them at lower pressure to get full contact across the tread.

You may find that the correct pressure is below the threshold for TPMS. Something like an AEV ProCal can fix that.

Of course mine is a 2 door, so also lighter than a 4 door, means less pressure.

Dave01

Reaction score
Thanks Riccochet. I'll talk to them, not my vehicle so I'm just trying to guide them. I have a feeling that whatever the TPMS threshold is will be the lowest they want to go, will see if I can figure that out.

My TPMS warns on my Ram every time I start up, not a big deal though I would like to fix that at some point.

Jacob

Reaction score
Last tires I got for my Jku Rubicon were load range E. Rode well at 25 to 30 psi or so.

areuriding

Reaction score
Really appreciate the reply Riccochet. They put tires on last week, but your post makes me feel more comfortable about the choice. They went with the Falken AT3W's in load range C, same 315/70-17 size they had on previously. So far they are very happy with the reduction in noise and better ride.

I believe they were inflated to something like 48 psi, I was going to check when I see them. Not sure what people tend to run for pressure on these, I might have gone a bit lower but curious what you think.
Holy moly.. 48 psi is way over. 33 - 37 is more like what they need to run..

Riccochet

Reaction score
Holy moly.. 48 psi is way over. 33 - 37 is more like what they need to run..
I'm going to say even that is high. I'd be surprised if those tires run across the tread at anything over 30. Given it's a 4 door I'd say 28 PSI would be the sweet spot.

areuriding

Reaction score
I'm going to say even that is high. I'd be surprised if those tires run across the tread at anything over 30. Given it's a 4 door I'd say 28 PSI would be the sweet spot.
I run 35 in mine and rotate every 3k. 12k miles and the wear is perfect

Users who are viewing this thread