Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Powerwagon Sway Bar Disconnect

jsalbre

Reaction score
Does anyone know of some available swaybar disconnects for a 2500? Or a really good deal on a Powerwagon swaybar?

I’m getting tired of getting beat up by the side to side motion while off-road, and it’s killing my wife’s back.

slackerwill

Reaction score
I have not heard of this but both Carli and Thuren make an improved sway bar that is supposed to make a big difference. Here are some links:
I bought the Thuren bar along with the rest of their goodies for my truck but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Sowa

Reaction score
Green question. Is there a thread that covers swapping over the power wagon sway bar to a CTD?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Green question. Is there a thread that covers swapping over the power wagon sway bar to a CTD?

Nothing that I’ve seen. There’s lots out there for swapping the power swaybar onto JK Wranglers that didn’t come with it though, and I’d expect it’s about the same. Honestly you really just need the bar and a switch to power it. Obviously it won’t function exactly the way it does on a Powerwagon (only disconnects in 4wd, reconnnects automatically above a certain speed), but I wouldn’t call those losses.

I put an order in for the Thuren bar on Friday. I expect that will be enough to keep me happy for now.

redraider84

Reaction score
Just reviving an old thread, I had the same question. I saw an Instagram post of a prospector XL where the wrangler sway bar disconnects from apex were used. Anyone seen or done this?

BikePilot

Reaction score
Just reviving an old thread, I had the same question. I saw an Instagram post of a prospector XL where the wrangler sway bar disconnects from apex were used. Anyone seen or done this?

That would be sweet. Apex makes awesome stuff. I have their tire valves. I'd love to have their disconnects on the Ram too. The concept should work, just a matter of determining the right length, travel and mounting hardware I think.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m planning to get the Thuren bar this summer, but after having a rental Rubicon with a push-button disconnect sway bar I kinda want to put the PW bar on my CTD.

I can’t imagine the PW setup is cost effective thou.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I’m planning to get the Thuren bar this summer, but after having a rental Rubicon with a push-button disconnect sway bar I kinda want to put the PW bar on my CTD.

I can’t imagine the PW setup is cost effective thou.
The electric bar is nice on the logging roads. Just push a button and enjoy vastly improved comfort.

Greenhills

Reaction score
The electric bar is nice on the logging roads. Just push a button and enjoy vastly improved comfort.
You must have really rough logging roads to keep that thing engaged.. it automatically reconnects at 18 mph wheel speed.. makes it useless in the mud and snow.

I love the improved ride quality, hate that it won't stay disconnected.

jetrinka

Reaction score
You must have really rough logging roads to keep that thing engaged.. it automatically reconnects at 18 mph wheel speed.. makes it useless in the mud and snow.

I love the improved ride quality, hate that it won't stay disconnected.
You are correct about it being super annoying because it reconnects at a certain speed. It’s the one thing I’d change.

I wonder if that function exists in AlfaOBD?

5150RN

Reaction score

Interesting you posted this. I actually just emailed them about that very thing maybe 2 weeks ago. Apex stated that using them on a Ram truck would void any warranty of the product, but they were currently working on a solution.

I failed to mention to them that I don’t have the factory sway bar on my truck. I’ve already installed a Thuren torsion bar. With its style of end links I believe it would be an easy mod to retrofit to my setup. I just wasn’t sure about clearance through the top of the stroke with the lynx. So for me their answer didn’t necessarily rule me out.
I just haven’t decided to pony up the funds for a pair to be the guinea pig.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You are correct about it being super annoying because it reconnects at a certain speed. It’s the one thing I’d change.

I wonder if that function exists in AlfaOBD?
I would have thought they would re engage at 25MPH like traction control does. 18 is to low even 25 is low

Zuber

Reaction score
I have the Carli 2.5 Pintop on my 2021 2500 RAM. It uses the stock rear swaybar with new links. I used a longer bolt and double nut on the lower drivers side instead of the Carli parts. It takes only two minutes to loosen the nuts and swing the link up to the frame where I have a bracket to bolt the link to.
Lightly loaded on rough two track it helps at higher speeds. Heavy loaded on highway, it's kind of dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread