Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noise, mega cab body looks shifted, and tsbs??

Cummins3

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 Cummins mega cab. Anyone else have a noise when going over bumps sounds like the rear storage bin tops is unlatched and opening and closing but they are not..?? Also noticed that cab seems to be shifted towards the passenger side.

If I look at rear bed to cab on pass side body line looks flush on driver side look like cab sticks out ontop of bed if that makes sence.

Also is there a good tsb website we can check on tsbs for these hd rams

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 Cummins mega cab. Anyone else have a noise when going over bumps sounds like the rear storage bin tops is unlatched and opening and closing but they are not..?? Also noticed that cab seems to be shifted towards the passenger side.

If I look at rear bed to cab on pass side body line looks flush on driver side look like cab sticks out ontop of bed if that makes sence.

Also is there a good tsb website we can check on tsbs for these hd rams

Hi Azervos3,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If it would be of interest, please feel free to send over your VIN via private message and I would be happy to look into whether there are any potential TSBs to address this concern. Hope to hear from you soon!

Mark
RamCares

followme2DQ

Reaction score
My bed is not on straight also. It makes 2 of the 5th wheel prep package "pucks" in the bed not go into their holes. I tried getting pics, but really couldn't get a good angle. I measured the distance from cab to bed om both sides with a caliper and it was just under !/2" difference. Waiting for the right time to bring it in.

Cummins3

Reaction score
From what I hear it's the cab that has shifted not the bed I haven't taken measurements but it's about 1/2" too. Lmk what they say

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score

Come to think of it... With the onset of the cold, I've been experiencing this very thing and it does indeed sound like a rear storage bin top flopping around. It's infrequent but seems to be emanating from the right rear of the cab. I need to have a look at the cab/box relationship...

Cummins3

Reaction score
Burnin oil let us please know what u find and/or if u bring it to dealers....I find it hard to believe some say it's the cab shifting or the mounts but please let u know. As I will too

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Burnin oil let us please know what u find and/or if u bring it to dealers....I find it hard to believe some say it's the cab shifting or the mounts but please let u know. As I will too
Indeed. It has occurred at most, a half dozen times and I recall being a bit surprised when it has occurred. More troubling and try as I might, I can't seem to replicate it. Not yet, at least. I'll be keeping an eye (ear) out.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Mine does it when going over bumps I'll try and narrow it down myself. With updates

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
One thing y’al might want to try is check if there is snow/ice built up between cab and the box, obviously only if you are in the right location. I always remove my wealth strip c-channel as soon as I get a new truck. On my 2012 it had been on for 4 years before I ripped it out and it had rubbed right through the paint and was already rusting the cab. I think it helps the snow/dirt/ gravel fall through,definitely makes it easier to blast out with pressure washer! Hay more picks of the misaligned boxes would be great, I want to check mine thx.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
If you look between the cab and the box there is a plastic strip with a rubber edge down at the bottom. I believe it is supposed to keep noise from coming up. I new they were there but didn’t know the damage they could do until I read about it in a forum.

cmac7203

Reaction score
There is another thread on here somewhere...don’t remember where...and the source is the cab mounts. Took a LOT of patience by both owner, dealer, and engineers to get right. Evidently the culprit was the sound isolation cab mounts themselves as I previously pointed out. I think they went through 3-4 sets till they found a set that worked correctly. Anyway...your rattles sounded like what that owner was referencing also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
And another thing... the seat belts are pretty much the same as in 4th gens and the passenger side lap/shoulder buckle tends to park itself perpendicular to the side of the truck when a passenger unbuckles. It will frequently rest like that between the seat and B-Pillar and consequently, clunk against the B-Pillar when traversing uneven ground. This caused a lot of angst for owners of the 4th gen 1500s when they were introduced 10 yrs ago and subsequently with the HDs. The solution was to simply twist the belt buckle counterclockwise (looking down) so that it would hang freely between the seat back and B-Pillar. Notwithstanding, I've pretty much ruled that out as the source of this illusive clunk. Raise the right side cover for the aft, under seat storage (occupied by sub-woofy for many) about and inch or so with the tether still attached and let it drop. That's the clunk.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Cmac I've read some of those posts/threads I don't believe my noise is from the cab mounts mine sounds internal like something bouncing/hitting something...burnin oil not sure what u mean by loft the right side cover for aft. Can u explain or pics??

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Cmac I've read some of those posts/threads I don't believe my noise is from the cab mounts mine sounds internal like something bouncing/hitting something...burnin oil not sure what u mean by loft the right side cover for aft. Can u explain or pics??
I was referring to the lids for the rear under seat storage. They have elastic tethers that incorporate a dome fastener to secure the lid to the outside of the storage compartment. With the tether fastened, your can still raise the lid a bit because the tether is elastic. Try it out. Lift the longer lid on the passenger side with the tether fastened and let it drop. In my case, that's the noise (clunk) I've heard in a handful of instances.

Cummins3

Reaction score
I will try that but sounds like that's the sound on mine I'll post back.....is there a fix to keep them closed/notake that noise??....

I also went to ram dealer yesterday and looked at few trucks and they the majority of the 95% the bed was misaligned to the cab. It was a mix some to pass side some to driver side...I'm guessing it's normal..lol

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I will try that but sounds like that's the sound on mine I'll post back.....is there a fix to keep them closed/notake that noise??....
I had an early 4th gen Crew Cab - they didn't come with fold flat floors. The Quad Cabs did, however. So I sourced a Quad Cab fold flat floor and installed it in the Crew. The extra weight of the fold flat assy, which doubled as the lids for the rear under seat storage, would flop (clunk) up/down under some road conditions. I used some sticky backed quarter inch foam door/window insulation on the underside of the fold flat lids to dampen things. It worked!

I also went to ram dealer yesterday and looked at few trucks and they the majority of the 95% the bed was misaligned to the cab. It was a mix some to pass side some to driver side...I'm guessing it's normal..lol
That's just sad... :(

Users who are viewing this thread