Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Start

toomanytacos

Reaction score
Hello all! New to the group here. I moved over from 5thgenrams.com forum. I upgraded from my 2019 Ram 1500 to a 2020 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie Night Edition.

I bought this truck back in July. I've traveled a fair bit and have just hit 17k miles with it. I have yet to have a minutes trouble with it until recently. Monday evening I started my truck from my remote and I could hear it start from my office. Not paying anymore attention to it, when i got outside it was not running. First thought was that I took longer than the 15 minutes. That wasn't it. I hit the remote start again as I was walking up and it wouldn't do anything but flash the signal lights. Usually, I forget that my low fuel light is on or something of the sort.

I get in the truck like normal and step on the brake and hit the button. Truck cranks over and over and won't stop. Truck does not fire off. Everything else on the truck seems fine. There is no CEL lit. No messages in the display. Fuel level is approx at 3/4. DEF level is at about the same spot.

In my head i'm thinking its fuel related. Not hearing any weird noises from under the hood while its trying to start. I think maybe it's too hot out? I'm in S Central Texas, it's 97 degrees out and 95% humidity. Truck is parked longside up against a 2-story building painted white that is radiating heat off of it. I wait a while and let it cool some and still no luck.

So i called the dealer in town (Brenham CJD) in Brenham Texas and they came after hours and towed it back to the dealership. One thing that caught my attention when the tow truck driver hooked on to it was that he hooked it from the front with the drive tires still on the ground. Not sure if the transfer case was placed in neutral and he definitely did not remove the rear driveshaft. (pic attached)

Tuesday rolls around and I have called and stopped by this dealer. The service writer said he has not heard anything from their tech's. The truck was in the service lot unlocked, hood popped, and had my amp steps unplugged.

Wednesday and still nothing. Any of you guys run into this issue? A lot of people I know personally are saying CP4 but who knows.

@RamCares

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 49

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello all! New to the group here. I moved over from 5thgenrams.com forum. I upgraded from my 2019 Ram 1500 to a 2020 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie Night Edition.

I bought this truck back in July. I've traveled a fair bit and have just hit 17k miles with it. I have yet to have a minutes trouble with it until recently. Monday evening I started my truck from my remote and I could hear it start from my office. Not paying anymore attention to it, when i got outside it was not running. First thought was that I took longer than the 15 minutes. That wasn't it. I hit the remote start again as I was walking up and it wouldn't do anything but flash the signal lights. Usually, I forget that my low fuel light is on or something of the sort.

I get in the truck like normal and step on the brake and hit the button. Truck cranks over and over and won't stop. Truck does not fire off. Everything else on the truck seems fine. There is no CEL lit. No messages in the display. Fuel level is approx at 3/4. DEF level is at about the same spot.

In my head i'm thinking its fuel related. Not hearing any weird noises from under the hood while its trying to start. I think maybe it's too hot out? I'm in S Central Texas, it's 97 degrees out and 95% humidity. Truck is parked longside up against a 2-story building painted white that is radiating heat off of it. I wait a while and let it cool some and still no luck.

So i called the dealer in town (Brenham CJD) in Brenham Texas and they came after hours and towed it back to the dealership. One thing that caught my attention when the tow truck driver hooked on to it was that he hooked it from the front with the drive tires still on the ground. Not sure if the transfer case was placed in neutral and he definitely did not remove the rear driveshaft. (pic attached)

Tuesday rolls around and I have called and stopped by this dealer. The service writer said he has not heard anything from their tech's. The truck was in the service lot unlocked, hood popped, and had my amp steps unplugged.

Wednesday and still nothing. Any of you guys run into this issue? A lot of people I know personally are saying CP4 but who knows.

@RamCares

Thank you for the tag on this @toomanytacos. I would be more than willing to get a case escalated at this point so that both you and your dealer have further support through the rest of the process addressing what you are experiencing. Please send us a private message when you can!

Mark
RamCares

toomanytacos

Reaction score
UPDATE:

The dealer called on 8/19 and said that the entire fuel system needs to be replaced. They also told me that it will take a minimum of 30 days to fully diagnose the entire issue. The put me into a Jeep Wrangler rental for the time being but I still aren't able to pull my trailer or anything really. Anyone know when/how the conditions are right for a buyback? 30 days seems excessive.

toomanytacos

Reaction score
Still waiting on parts as of 9/22/2020.

All of the parts are in sans the CP4 pump. The dealer is very vague but @RamCares has been a great help.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
Do they expect you to drive around in a jeep throughout this process? I’m thinking about buying 21 /3500. If this happens to me I’ll be screwed.. I depend on my trailer moving and no jeep is going to be able to do that. Sorry to hear you’re having to go through this process.. I’m sure they’ll figure it out soon as they are paying through the nose for this problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

I hope Ram and Cummins are starting to see what everybody EXCEPT them could see: The CP4 is a known piece of ****, and they made a huge mistake by going to it.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I hate to throw gas on the fire but they opened a star case on my truck and ordered cp4 pump #2 replacement at 9000 miles, first one replaced at 2700 miles then proceeded to blow the fuel inlet line off after 6 miles.

Not sure when it will get in as I was not given a time frame for the new cp4 pump #2.

Last edited:

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have to ask, it looks to be 1 in 10,000 CP4 fuel pumps fail. Why only 1 in 10,000 ? are they not all built with the same components ? I would think they all would fail around the same mileage, or is it more that the 1 pump in 10,000 was built faulty ?

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rule #6. Please be considerate in language you use on the forum. A filter is in place to safeguard this system. This includes using alternate characters to simulate obscene words.
Seams like on this forum , it's a whole lot better odds of getting a junk cp4 than 1 in 10,000. I think I've read 4 stories about that pos in the last 2 days. I'm a nervous wreck . They'll recall a damn step because some fat a$$ got hurt when it broke but won't recall this junk pump when somebody could get in a wreck or even possible explosion and get hurt or even killed, is that what it's gonna take, someone to lose there life and a family member sue fca because of the known issue, recall the ******* thing . Errgghhhhh

Last edited by a moderator:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Seams like on this forum , it's a whole lot better odds of getting a junk cp4 than 1 in 10,000. I think I've read 4 stories about that pos in the last 2 days. I'm a nervous wreck . They'll recall a damn step because some fat a$$ got hurt when it broke but won't recall this junk pump when somebody could get in a wreck or even possible explosion and get hurt or even killed, is that what it's gonna take, someone to lose there life and a family member sue fca because of the known issue, recall the ******* thing . Errgghhhhh

This forum is a miniscule representation of Ram CTD truck owners and often only a place to vent frustrations.

Go over to one of the big forums with 30K members and poll how many failures are reported. It's still skewed towards those that seek out a place to vent.

D

Deleted member 80

Maybe so, but how many people were on the same forums venting about CP3 failures, not related to bad fuel. Damn few.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. Just want you all to know that I got in trouble for my inappropriate language in my last post (#12). I'm really sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings or offended them. This rule is stated in rule number 6. I used 3 inappropriate words , some with alternate characters to imply poor choice of language. I let everyone know to simply try to help our forum be a more peaceful place were anyone can attend, and the last thing i want to see is another member get in trouble for this same rule infraction wich we all have went lax on. Be better than me. Our Passion can sometimes get us in deep water, stay in the shallows ;)

MikeXM

Reaction score
I hope Ram and Cummins are starting to see what everybody EXCEPT them could see: The CP4 is a known piece of ****, and they made a huge mistake by going to it.
GM and Ford had already class actions when RAM decided to go CP4. THEY KNEW 100%. I'm sure this is a bean counter decision: even with those failures and under warranty repairs, bottom line would still be better going CP4.

I have to ask, it looks to be 1 in 10,000 CP4 fuel pumps fail. Why only 1 in 10,000 ? are they not all built with the same components ? I would think they all would fail around the same mileage, or is it more that the 1 pump in 10,000 was built faulty ?
Based on HSS LX4 product documentation: North America's CP4 failure rate is 7%. Compare that to Europe's 1%. Difference between the two geographical regions is fuel quality. I'm sure in EU's 1% some are also due bad fuel too. But it is just less prevalent.

So... Most of failures would be due to NA's USLD. And less than 1% of CP4 pumps failed due to another reason than poor compatibility to NA USLD, so basically similar to anything else that is manufactured (more or less).

My take is this: even if we add fuel additives we still can experience a failure, because 1% will still fail for other reasons. But adding the additive actually improved your chances by 7X to remain trouble free.

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
GM and Ford had already class actions when RAM decided to go CP4. THEY KNEW 100%. I'm sure this is a bean counter decision: even with those failures and under warranty repairs, bottom line would still be better going CP4.

Based on HSS LX4 product documentation: North America's CP4 failure rate is 7%. Compare that to Europe's 1%. Difference between the two geographical regions is fuel quality. I'm sure in EU's 1% some are also due bad fuel too. But it is just less prevalent.

So... Most of failures would be due to NA's USLD. And less than 1% of CP4 pumps failed due to another reason than poor compatibility to NA USLD, so basically similar to anything else that is manufactured (more or less).

My take is this: even if we add fuel additives we still can experience a failure, because 1% will still fail for other reasons. But adding the additive actually improved your chances by 7X to remain trouble free.
My luck, ill be that 1%. Kind of like we all say the same thing but I get called out for it. What exactly do we call that, i know but I've been muzzled, oh well someone's got to be the 1%. Either way I'm using lx4 to better my odds and ill stand buy my statement that people are going to have to perish before they recall the DAG GUM THING, is that better.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
My luck, ill be that 1%. Kind of like we all say the same thing but I get called out for it. What exactly do we call that, i know but I've been muzzled, oh well someone's got to be the 1%. Either way I'm using lx4 to better my odds and ill stand buy my statement that people are going to have to perish before they recall the DAG GUM THING, is that better.

I guess my luck must really sucks since I'm going on #2 cp4 pump in 9k miles. Luckily neither has taken the whole fuel system out with it yet, only pump replacement ATM.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

Very odd for a CP4 to fail without sending pixie dust through the entire fuel system, let alone twice.

Squatch

Reaction score
Would a bunch of clogged fuel lines and injectors downstream doom his second CP4?

Users who are viewing this thread