Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no problems

Pronto

Reaction score
Mine has been really good through the first year and half. The only time it has been in the shop for other than scheduled maintenance was self-inflicted.

SL1

Reaction score
My 2021 2500 Cummins has been great so far. I don’t really have a complaint at all.
Mileage is only pushing 15k or so though.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have had 54k of decent km only a few def issues nothing unexpected so i have no complaints now i am deleted i have a renewed love of the truck and no expected issues i do work my truck hard and it has been really faithful

Bluecoral

Reaction score
Does the price of diesel fall into the "problem" category ?
Fair question. Yes, diesel prices for the past 18 months are 25% higher than gas. Even so, my personal experience justified a switch back to diesel. I went from a 2020 Ford F250 with the new big block 7.3l gasser back to a 2021 Ram 3500 6.7l diesel. Fuel mileage on the Ford towing my camper on the interstate averaged 7 mpg. With this and previous Ram diesel I average over 10 mpg towing. That's a 40% improvement in fuel mileage. Non-towing city and hwy driving is even better. There is the added cost of DEF which costs under 20 bucks every 2000 miles. But, cost of fuel/DEF is only a small part of the equation. I can't overemphasize how much better the towing experience of the diesel vs gasser is. I'm sure upgrading to a 3500 helped too. The 7.3 with 10 spd struggled mightily with my +10k lb trailer especially with minor grades and interstate headwinds. The tranny shifted constantly from 10th gear to 5th and back. Even my wife commented how annoying it was that the engine was constantly revving so high and shifting so much. With the Ram diesel mated to the 6 spd it rarely downshifts on cross country trips (modest grade inclines) from MN to AZ. Plus, the almost double torque makes towing so much more satisfying than the gasser IMHO.

joeycamp

Reaction score
25k miles in less than a year and zero issues. I'm blessed to have been able to buy my dream truck and plan to run it into the ground.

I have had some self-induced troubles but that's not Ram's or Cummin's fault. All figured out now. Growing pains as it's my first diesel and I like to tinker.
Care to share some self-induced troubles with a soon to be first time diesel owner?

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Care to share some self-induced troubles with a soon to be first time diesel owner?

After adding the leveling kit I was having some alignment woes. Turns out where I went had no idea what they were doing after I figured out the specs that these trucks like to run.

Tuning stuff and supporing mods. Figuring out what I like best, which I have.

Other than that, mechanically speaking the truck has been flawless. Like I said, all self induced stuff lol.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently, my only nag is the Cummins belt chirp. Having the HPFP recall complete is a huge relief.

Haven't really noticed the cab mount clunk much anymore, maybe I'm just assimilated.

FWIW, I've also had the HVAC TSB performed. It's still not stellar, but it's acceptable.

jebruns

Reaction score
I was happy with my 18 2500 Laramie CTD. I just traded it and it had 44K on the clock. The only issue I had with it was getting Ram to replace the recalled/welded drag link. But I stuck with it and got it done. It had a little wind noise from the windshield when driving into the wind on faster highways. Had it fixed under the 3/36 warranty, but it came back. Minor, but bothersome. Otherwise, can't think of anything else. Solid truck.

EDIT: I thought about this some more and I did have a couple of other issues. Some kind of solenoid that would not let the 4x4 to kick in. And the power steering cylinder was replaced, under the Mopar extended warranty.

Last edited:

GBB

Reaction score
35,000 on my 2021 dually and about half of that towing 10,000#. no issues

BSN81

Reaction score
I had a 2020 2500 w/ the 6.7. We only had minor issues like the motor for the power running board went out. Other than that and recalls, best vehicle I have owned. We sold it over the summer and ordered a 3500 to so we could tow a bigger trailer. Needless to say I have no truck right now, I miss it and can't wait for the 3500!

RAM Stag

Reaction score
I always see people post about problems on there truck. how many of you are happy with your truck and don't have problems?
I bought my 2016 2500 Big Horn last December with 36,000 +/_ miles on her. Just drove her to Orlando from Richmond, VA for a 10 day vacation, now has right at 50,000 miles on the odometer. I love the truck - great for a road trip, easy enough for around town driving, and the mileage isn't terrible for a Heavy Duty 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Just love it is all I can say.

chas0218

Reaction score
That, or people having genuine problems/questions seeking help.
In any case, a forum makes products look a lot worse than they actually are. And that's true everywhere, be it trucks or phones or whatever.
Before I bought my truck I joined the big 3 forums. I went through months of reading on each truck in the 2500 platform and ended up with the Ram. They all have issues but I chose Ram because of the minor amount of issues. If I'm on a trip and the display stops working or something minor like my A/C or heated seats went out I can still get home or to my destination. Where if the engine or transmisson has issues I'm screwed on a long trip and major repairs on a trip are not ideal.

mikef

Reaction score
2022 Laramie 6.4 crew cab not one issue love it as much as the first day i owned it 13890 miles only thing i can complain about is the sirius radio issues im having mosty due to the service and its customer service sucks

Dave01

Reaction score
My truck has no issues so far but I've only driven it a bit over 5,000 miles since buying it with 7,700 a few months ago. Only thing I can think of is one fog light is out. Awesome truck.

762fmj

Reaction score
Mechanical issues? Thankfully none, but it's not really even broken in yet. Only a bit over 2k on the clock. Little fit and finish issues that I noted that aren't really a big deal like the vinyl wrap in the door pillars having imperfect edges, a window trim being off by about 1/8", and what looks like some factory damage on the dash that sneaked through pdi and my own inspection (claim open on that last one).

Even software has been mostly good with the exception of Spotify cutting out on Android Auto.

Overall happy considering how many electric doo dads there are.

Users who are viewing this thread