Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Gooseneck Prep Kit for My VIN?

1032screw

Reaction score
I ran into an interesting issue. When I went to find the Mopar gooseneck prep kit for my 2020 Ram 2500 cummins tradesman none was listed when using my vin to look it up. I went on to find the model number for the kit that listed fitting 19-23 ram 2500's and purchased it from an online dealer. When they asked for my Vin for fitment confirmation they again stated the kit didn't list my vin for fitment and they couldn't locate a kit that would fit my vin. I proceeded with purchase anyways and have since installed the kit without issue. Any ideas what is going on here?

For reference the kit I purchased was model 82215840AB

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Don't know but honestly buying a 2500 cumming to pull a gooseneck is backwards, a very light load on a gooseneck/5er would put you over the payload, a bumper pull would be a better option as it transfers less weight to the tow vehicle

1032screw

Reaction score
Don't know but honestly buying a 2500 cumming to pull a gooseneck is backwards, a very light load on a gooseneck/5er would put you over the payload, a bumper pull would be a better option as it transfers less weight to the tow vehicle
I considered a bumper pull trailer but for what I am intending to do with my truck but the gooseneck seemed like a safer option all things considered. For beginners I am staying just under CDL limits on purpose so 10k gvwr turck and 16k gvwr trailer. I have about 2400 lbs of payload to use and stay under gvwr. 16K bumper pull trailer and 10% on the hitch is putting the full 1600 lbs on my rears and taking weight off my fronts. Putting more than 10% on the rear hitch isn't a great thing stability wise. With the gooseneck I can put at least 10% in the bed or more and stay legal and distribute weight between the fronts and rears. If I am not worried about the law I can likley get more weight onto the truck with the gooseneck setup and stay under my axle ratings. There is a slight trailer payload capacity sacrifice with the gooseneck over the bumper pull but when operating at max weight I think I will appreciate the stability.

amauri

Reaction score
" Any ideas what is going on here?"

Do you have Ram Boxes on your truck?

Users who are viewing this thread