Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No banks derringer for 2021+ Cummins?

g00fy

Reaction score
@g00fy Banks has been working on the Derringer tuner for the Cummins since as long as I can recall, easily since 2019. I don't know how on earth Banks would struggle to get something EPA approved if somehow Edge, Stealth, and others can get box tuners, and companies like PPEI, Hardway, and Calibrated Power can all release tunes.

This likely comes down to the fact that it's not a huge priority for them, and it's more tricky than they initially expected, or requires more params then what they currently have access to via the piggyback. They have to tread a fine line between cost, performance and complexity of install, which is tricky if you've got to instal half a dozen sensors and plugs when a tuner requires you just flash the ECM/TCM via the OBD.
You're right, I forgot edge got theirs released last year. I did read one of Banks FB posts where they admitted their cummins tuner was going to be totally redesigned because it was more complicated than previous tuners.

I've got less than a year left on my powertrain warranty, so I gotta start saving up, got a small list of preventative maintenance mods I want to do, Grid heater Delete, Billet Valve body, and I guess a proper tune since even if the derringer does come out between now and then I might as well wait and do it right.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I just don't see any value in what Banks is attempting to do here. The market for tuners is well established, and there are enough well respected tuners that he isn't really providing anything by somehow not writing a tune file, if anything he is adding a ton more complexity by trying to hack that system downstream.

Either way, it will be interesting to see when he releases it. I was toying with it a while back once it comes out for my dually, but I'd just rather tune from a reputable brand.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Nope... Banks just can't get his sh!t together on it. Like I said, he has been working this for years and years before all of this happened.

Either way I wouldn't waste my money on it when it is released, you are better off with real tuning then these
"fooler" boxes.

Probably like the EGR codes for their intake that they have "known about" for 2 years now that they still haven't released any kind of fix for.

Users who are viewing this thread