Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Anti-Spin Diff on 3500 SRW? Winter driving

MikeXM

Reaction score
Going from a 2500 to a 3500, I'll lose the anti-slip diff. In winter, this has been very useful.

Anyone know why this is not an option on the 3500?

Is the new traction control (my 2008 didn't had that) replaces the need of the anti-slip diff?

Any feedback appreciated.

TIA

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your 3500 doesn't have anti spin?

Or you do not see the option for it as you are researching?

Did you order the truck? What engine/trans?

The traction control works fine. If you are coming from an 08...you will probably never even notice as it usually can fix the issue before you even notice.

MikeXM

Reaction score
OH... it is standard on all 3500 models? That is surprising as many hate anti-spin diffs...

Well, it's definitely not an option like on the 2500 then.

I'm ordering a 3500 HO soon so I wanted to understand what's up with that.

I find it very useful in winter driving. And I'm worried that TC will eat brakes. So I want anti-spin on mine. TC can always be deactivated.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
OH... it is standard on all 3500 models? That is surprising as many hate anti-spin diffs...

Why all the hate? Limited-slip differentials (LSD) have been around for many, many years and while each variety has its limitations, their benefits easily outweigh those shortfalls.

I find it very useful in winter driving. And I'm worried that TC will eat brakes. So I want anti-spin on mine. TC can always be deactivated.

Traction control eats brakes? That's a new one on me. Perhaps a defective traction control eats brakes?

MikeXM

Reaction score
Why all the hate? Limited-slip differentials (LSD) have been around for many, many years and while each variety has its limitations, their benefits easily outweigh those shortfalls.

Traction control eats brakes? That's a new one on me. Perhaps a defective traction control eats brakes?
For those in the south who always run on dry pavement, LSD is not needed. LSD sometimes engage on tight right turns and cause unnecessary tire wear. It certainly does that on my 2008. You can hear and feel it when it happens (tire skipping). Still, it is very useful in winter conditions so that's why I want it.

TC can eats brakes for sure. TC implementations that I know of will apply brakes to force traction on the slipping wheel. It will also limit motor power. I dont know about RAMs TC implementation but I can tell you that on another brand sport car that I previously owned it would eat those brakes so damn fast. After first year of ownership of that brand new car, brakes were due for replacement. Dealer recommended that I deactivate TC for city driving as I was using it too much... Yay for rear-drive sports car in winter! Yes you can floor your pedal and let the TC slowly brings you to speed on ice, but it comes at a cost.

Last edited:

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Traction Control is dangerous anywhere it snows at least at slower speed, at greater speeds it could save your @$$. When stopped at an iced up intersection and you try to go all you get is chatter and bogged down engine, not good with a semi bearing down on you at 70 mph. Ahh the good old days of controlling a vehicle with the steering wheel and the peddles. Some nowadays seem to prefer to be driven around by a Commodore 64 :rolleyes:

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Traction Control is dangerous anywhere it snows at least at slower speed, at greater speeds it could save your @$$. When stopped at an iced up intersection and you try to go all you get is chatter and bogged down engine, not good with a semi bearing down on you at 70 mph. Ahh the good old days of controlling a vehicle with the steering wheel and the peddles. Some nowadays seem to prefer to be driven around by a Commodore 64 :rolleyes:
Indeed and for as long as the system has been around, manufacturers have yet to address the human factor interactions associated with how the system works. That proverbial semi bearing down on ya will compel most people to mash the go pedal to the floor. We know how well that works (doesn't work). It's much the same as Fred and Wilma cruising along on a snow covered left/right hand sweeper. They start to slide and instead of letting off on the go pedal and steering out, they have the brake pedal mashed to the floor while they recite their Hail Mary's. They then become unwitting ditch divers, or worse...

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Indeed and for as long as the system has been around, manufacturers have yet to address the human factor interactions associated with how the system works. That proverbial semi bearing down on ya will compel most people to mash the go pedal to the floor. We know how well that works (doesn't work). It's much the same as Fred and Wilma cruising along on a snow covered left/right hand sweeper. They start to slide and instead of letting off on the go pedal and steering out, they have the brake pedal mashed to the floor while they recite their Hail Mary's. They then become unwitting ditch divers, or worse...
So true. Got a laugh out of thinking of Fred, poor Fred would freeze his feet and his ball bearings this morning with the wind kill of -44:oops:

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Isn’t that the truth! Traction control used to be via our right foot.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The LSD in my 04.5 was only available as a package with the 4.10 rear. Great for towing, sucks for MPG even with bigger tires getting me to an effective 3.92, which is actually a nice tow gear.

The LSD has been great. Zero issues and there's no excess tire wear or any of that nonsense. Gear sets are perfect with little sign of any wear when I last changed fluids at 60K.

I don't know what LSD system the new trucks use, but it is standard and I haven't heard of any complaints. I'd be really disappointed if the truck didn't have it.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I saw in the build sheet that it was there. It's just not an option like on the 2500, that's why I didn't see it first.

Polo08816

Reaction score
The LSD in my 04.5 was only available as a package with the 4.10 rear. Great for towing, sucks for MPG even with bigger tires getting me to an effective 3.92, which is actually a nice tow gear.

The LSD has been great. Zero issues and there's no excess tire wear or any of that nonsense. Gear sets are perfect with little sign of any wear when I last changed fluids at 60K.

I don't know what LSD system the new trucks use, but it is standard and I haven't heard of any complaints. I'd be really disappointed if the truck didn't have it.

Is the factory LSD a gear based (as opposed to clutch based) design?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the factory LSD a gear based (as opposed to clutch based) design?

The helical gear style disappeared in 2019 (except the PW rear) and was replaced with a clutch style.

I normally hate clutch style LSD’s but so far I’ve been impressed with the one in my 12.0 axle.

Users who are viewing this thread