Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night edition on Montana county roads, Reasons for Chrome?

IDK_Ram

Reaction score
Greetings All,
This is my first post on this forum ..and my uncomfortable (hopefully not) introduction to Ram Trucks - current Chevy owner trading up and previously everything but a Ram - never fancier than LT or XLT but now I'm old so...
I'm building my 2500 Delmonico CCSB gasser, so will ask my first question around the attractive and aggressive looking Night Package versus the potential damage from country farm roads.
I live in Montana where our county roads are long and covered with large gravel. I drive on them daily.
I picked up a brand new trailer for my SXS and before getting home all the trailer lights were broken (most completely gone) and the paint was pelted off the front and wheel covers. Hahaha... it is tough country. (tractor paint fixed crappy Carry-on Trailer's finish)

For the rough roads, I should stick with Chrome? - even though the rocks fly BEHIND me.

I'm sure someone lives outside of civilization and couldn't resist the Night package. How's it going?

-Cheers.

scrambler1000

Reaction score
Chrome is more durable. Either way you go I would suggest some sort of Xpel wrap and the front , rockers and flairs. Also get a set of large mud flaps.

flan

Reaction score
Some long johns would be beneficial along with running boards (not nerf bars) to protect your rockers.

jadmt

Reaction score
chrome pits like crazy. you could bed line your bumpers. I lineXed a jeep bumper and stuff worked great. I like to make fun of Montana roads too. This leads to the local mall.
B7561B0F-EDC8-4A1D-A86C-906E8B897DF7.jpeg

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Is chrome really chrome? A lot of chrome is really plastic-clad chrome, no? My truck is Night Edition so I'm not sure. I just know on my older Dodge, the chrome was plastic.

Have you considered Paint Protection Film to protect the front end and lower areas where rocks may be kicked up?

Oneday997

Reaction score
I've had multiple Rams now, a 2500 with chrome bumpers and then a 2500 and 3500 with painted bumpers. All wheels have been chrome, but I've had a couple of Porsches with black painted wheels. I live on a dirt road and the trucks see a fair amount of other dirt roads. No doubt the chrome wears better. It will show some small pits, but they really aren't super visible. The gravel definitely chips up the painted bumpers and wheels more. Painted wheels in particular take a beating on gravel. That said, it's relatively cheap to get them repainted when the time comes. On the flip side, the paint on the bumpers and wheels does much better with the mag chloride the use around here. If you don't get it off the chrome pretty quick, it tends to leave a haze on the chrome that take a bit of elbow grease to get rid off. Eventually it will stain the chrome if not removed.

IDK_Ram

Reaction score
I've never noticed or cared about any rock "damage" on any of my trucks, front to behind the wheels. My current truck doesn't have any appreciable marks after 7+ years. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'd rather put my hard-earned toward function over style.

I hear this in my head: "You custom ordered a Ram and didn't get the night package?" so I've got to have a good reason why not.

Thanks for the replies.

guarnibl

Reaction score
Chrome is more durable. Either way you go I would suggest some sort of Xpel wrap and the front , rockers and flairs. Also get a set of large mud flaps.

PPF doesn't adhere to chrome very well. There may be other film but yeah, Chrome is way better. Painted bits then get Xpel'd that are going to touch rocks.

SL1

Reaction score
If its that bad where you're driving I would go cheap and then put some rhino coated ranch hand bumpers on the truck along with some good mud flaps.

Firebird

Reaction score
Chrome will definitely hold up better than the painted bumpers! This comes from someone who prefers the painted bumpers too.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Chrome withstands the rocks better but get or make yourself a set of hitch mounted flaps it really saves your trailer and your tailgate, i built mine it doubles as a hitch adapter so i can leave it on without a hitch in when towing 5th wheels the 40$ it cost me to build is well worth it when towing the enclosed trailers down gravel roads the still look like new

064F2E0B-C6C9-4E88-ABD7-C639BB338A9D.jpeg

Pronto

Reaction score
After 1 year, I have rock chips on my factory fender flares. My chrome front is unscathed. My previous Ram had chips in the front painted portions but the front chrome was also unscathed. I wouldn't go with a painted bumper without getting it wrapped. Chrome might not be what it used to be but it's still way ahead of paint for durability. If you're old, it's ok to go chrome and it will save you a lot. :) Being old also means that you usually have no compulsion to buy negative offset wheels to make your tires stick way out and throw crap all over the side of your truck. :)

Users who are viewing this thread