Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NHTSA Opens Investigation On Some 2022 Ram HD Trucks

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

NHTSA Opens Investigation On Some 2022 Ram HD Trucks​

Probe Comes In Response To 82 Complaints About Chassis Cab Snap Ring Failure...​

tempImageW0if2u.png

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has launched an investigation into potential transmission failures in select 2022 Ram Heavy Duty Chassis Cabs. This probe comes in response to 82 complaints received by NHTSA regarding the loss of motive power attributed to a malfunctioning K1 snap ring within the vehicle’s transmission system.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Highly recommend anyone who has not reached out to NHTSA with their failure to do so. There’s a lot of data that needs to be handed to them. They’re initiating an investigation based on 82 complaints….meanwhile the spreadsheet of K1 failures I’ve been working on for the past two years has 356 trucks on it, some of which have failed multiple times.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Haven't they launched the same investigation on 3500 HO trucks?
I can't believe this is still happening to AISINS, seems to be a much larger issue than I initially thought.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't they launched the same investigation on 3500 HO trucks?
I can't believe this is still happening to AISINS, seems to be a much larger issue than I initially thought.
This investigation would solely look at 3500 / 4500 / 5500 trucks equipped with the Aisin. More specifically 2022 and 2023 model years. It’s being conducted by the NHTSA. Up until now, they have not been involved in any investigations of the issue. Everything that has happened up until now has been done internally by Stellantis and Aisin.

HockeyPUcX

Reaction score
Highly recommend anyone who has not reached out to NHTSA with their failure to do so. There’s a lot of data that needs to be handed to them. They’re initiating an investigation based on 82 complaints….meanwhile the spreadsheet of K1 failures I’ve been working on for the past two years has 356 trucks on it, some of which have failed multiple times.
Reported my experience to the NHTSA.

Nosty10s

Reaction score
Would it be easy to reach out to those folks so they can contact the NHTSA?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant for the list of the folks that you have, maybe they are not aware of this investigation by the NHTSA
It would take a considerable amount of work for me to reach out to each person on the list. Hopefully they’ll still be following the posts I have running here and elsewhere, and will take it upon themselves to reach out. If all that was necessary was 82 reports to get an investigation rolling, I had that many in the first few months of 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread