Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nexen POS Tires

GD/RAM

Reaction score
Any body have luck with getting the dealer to do a take off on the Nexen (POS) tires and install a good tire as part of the deal? Why is RAM so true to that brand? I had noting but trbl with seperations on 3 of 6!!!

D

Deleted member 80

Any body have luck with getting the dealer to do a take off on the Nexen (POS) tires and install a good tire as part of the deal? Why is RAM so true to that brand? I had noting but trbl with seperations on 3 of 6!!!
At zero miles the dealer would not take them, nor the tire store. I sold them as new take-offs to a rancher for $100 each.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know with the good years on my 2011 1/2 ton dealer said call the tire manufacture i did that and they swapped out the wrangler hp for duratracs free of charge. A buddy of mine did the same had the same outcome. I called firestone for my 19 they said i would have to pay to have them swapped i chose to opt out because no firestone tire is worth paying for

Bgbrix3

Reaction score
2020 4WD DWR, 21K miles on factory installed Nexen Roadian HTX LT235/80/R17 all around. No discernible date codes on any of the Nexen tires. Tread separation on driver side front. Sidewall separation on passenger side, inside tire, inboard side. Happened while towing 18.5K+ 5W. Luckily we did not have a total blowout and crash. I will not be replacing those tires with like items. Maybe we hit something, but I do not recall going over anything in the road.

Attachments

• E3FC5986-15F9-4DB0-B906-73C196656B9F.jpeg
    E3FC5986-15F9-4DB0-B906-73C196656B9F.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 8F4B445B-B56D-4C87-A56B-BE60F0D8FB8F.jpeg
    8F4B445B-B56D-4C87-A56B-BE60F0D8FB8F.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 22
  • E2ABF94A-CAFF-4AA7-B563-86FBB82F3BD5.jpeg
    E2ABF94A-CAFF-4AA7-B563-86FBB82F3BD5.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 22

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
2020 4WD DWR, 21K miles on factory installed Nexen Roadian HTX LT235/80/R17 all around. No discernible date codes on any of the Nexen tires. Tread separation on driver side front. Sidewall separation on passenger side, inside tire, inboard side. Happened while towing 18.5K+ 5W. Luckily we did not have a total blowout and crash. I will not be replacing those tires with like items. Maybe we hit something, but I do not recall going over anything in the road.
Sorry man - that sucks.

Do you know what PSI you were running and have you ever weighed the rig on the scales?

I ask because according to the load chart, at max pressure (80 PSI) those fronts should be able to handle 3085 each (6170 on that axle) and as dualies in the rear 2835 each (or 11340 on that axle).

Bgbrix3

Reaction score
Sorry man - that sucks.

Do you know what PSI you were running and have you ever weighed the rig on the scales?

I ask because according to the load chart, at max pressure (80 PSI) those fronts should be able to handle 3085 each (6170 on that axle) and as dualies in the rear 2835 each (or 11340 on that axle).
I checked the PSIs on all 12 tires prior to departure and all were at recommend (+/- 0.5 pound). IMMS, the rig sits around 20k when loaded (I don’t carry water or a genny), but I cannot recall what the tongue weight was last weigh-in. 20% of gross trailer is 4K on the hitch, which is well below the limits. I’ll take it back over the scales in the next 7-10 days and see where it is.
My suspicion is I caught one of those bridge joints where it meets the road surface; they can be brutal when the road surface degrades.

WRCLVR

Reaction score
i had to replace my 2017 3500 HO Max Tow 8 ft bed dually front tires @ 9k miles from new..huge tread separation on both, one of them was bubbled 12 inches long. I always check the tires for pressure every month and go by the door jamb sticker ( 80/65) Went with Michelins and 6 months later sprang for all four rears. Has been riding perfectly since and no issues ( truck has 17900 on it ).
I replaced all shocks with Bilstein b6 front and B8 rear in summer 2023 @ 14K( see sig ). One front shock was so bad it simply collapsed after taking it off. Just in case someone says Oh you needed to have the tires balanced, I did have them balanced 2 times in 4K before replacing the tires. My longtime mechanic could not get them to balance the third time and pulled the tires finding the huge separations. He was shocked. Since he also services the 5500 RAM flat beds for AAA in Atlanta , he showed them the pics of mine and recommended they change the Nexens to Michelins on their 5500 flat bed tow trucks which they did do over the course of about 1 year.

My thoughts are. 1. Never accept a new RAM with Nexen on it. 2. MAKE the dealer take them off at no charge before taking delivery 3. the terrible construction of them is DANGEROUS and they can blow out. 4. Document any issues with them 5. Post up with pics on the NHTSA safety defects website. 6. Spread the word. 7. When in doubt pay for better tires and stay safe. 8. Check the shocks if you have issues with the Nexens, they are most likely blown too if you have tread separations.

If those Nexens had blown out, my rig would have probably been totalled. Rest assured RAM would not have done anything at all.......

Oh and NO I have never hit any curbs or pot holes....

Last edited:

Dave01

Reaction score
While you are right, and it sounds like a few people have had luck getting either the dealer or tire manufacturer to swap new tires, I've never heard of anyone successfully asking for that and getting that, at least in my group of friends. Agree the Nexen tires suck, as do the Transforce's. We all wish they would put quality tires on these trucks, but seems like they get a cheap deal and go with it regardless of tire quality on a very expensive truck.

Maybe things are changing with more inventory on the lots, but when I bought my truck (used with 7,700 miles so not apples to apples with a new truck) had I asked for tires to be swapped they would have said sure, if I pay for them they will swap them.

Users who are viewing this thread