Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ZF transmissions on the horizon?

Redfour5

Reaction score
It is a very interesting time... I posted this another place after research and a similar question... I'm a gas guy also...

Speaking to the 6.4 hemi and any new gas ICE (internal combustion engine) version like a souped up six banger or adapted Cummins 6.7, who knows? ZF can't sit on their laurels forever as far as the gas version goes...or maybe they can? I wonder if they are working on something... That may tell the tale. This 2022 Press Release sort of shows where they are going but this is oriented around the "electric" approach. Nada on ICE transmission tech. https://www.zf.com/master/media/pro...ns/cvs_drive_event/ZF_ebeam_release_FINAL.pdf

Stellantis did a fifth gen change on everything you cannot see in 2019 in terms of the frame, metals etc...except the transmission/engine 6.4 Hemi whose days are numbered for sure I'm thinking. I'm also thinking as far as the transmission goes, ZF created the industry standard for next gen tranny's over a decade ago and it is relatively bulletproof even if it can't quite get the performance of the next gen.1 10 speeds by others, but even they are not perfect either as there may be a limit to more gears not necessarily meaning better if all they do is hunt around all the time... But that often is in the software now days.

If you note in the press release above, ZF also specializes in that arena technologically speaking. They could keep the hardware the same including number of gears, but perhaps make changes in software to keep the present highly regarded 8 speed going until the industry transition toward electric is clear or Hydrogen ICE gains "traction." The press release below hints at this. I bet they have new trannys on the drawing board maybe even a few prototypes but committing to a new one strictly for ICE engines they could be hesitating on that kind of capital investment waiting to see which way the wind blows on EV or Hydrogen ICE approaches. It is evident by the press release above that they are moving forward on EV but ICE???? It's an expensive big deal to commit to that as they did in 2011 with the 8 speed and the South Carolina plant. This press release may hint at the future of that with their "powerline" trannys for medium duty "commercial trucks." https://press.zf.com/press/en/releases/release_36480.html

We are in a transition phase right now. AND, we have Cummins in the mix also. They are working on Hydrogen ICE and can make their 6.7 work on most anything including hydrogen. A variant on all that could mate well with ZF tech and RAM could be the future. I'm thinking a ZF 8 speed "Powerline" variant of the 8 speed could potentially be on the horizon for RAM HD's mated to a turbo charged six banger "Hurricane" that Ram is already rolling out. It appears to be a very capable "platform" that can be adapted in many ways. AND, the world may be moving away from diesels...horror of horrors.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
It is a very interesting time... I posted this another place after research and a similar question... I'm a gas guy also...

Speaking to the 6.4 hemi and any new gas ICE (internal combustion engine) version like a souped up six banger or adapted Cummins 6.7, who knows? ZF can't sit on their laurels forever as far as the gas version goes...or maybe they can? I wonder if they are working on something... That may tell the tale. This 2022 Press Release sort of shows where they are going but this is oriented around the "electric" approach. Nada on ICE transmission tech. https://www.zf.com/master/media/pro...ns/cvs_drive_event/ZF_ebeam_release_FINAL.pdf

Stellantis did a fifth gen change on everything you cannot see in 2019 in terms of the frame, metals etc...except the transmission/engine 6.4 Hemi whose days are numbered for sure I'm thinking. I'm also thinking as far as the transmission goes, ZF created the industry standard for next gen tranny's over a decade ago and it is relatively bulletproof even if it can't quite get the performance of the next gen.1 10 speeds by others, but even they are not perfect either as there may be a limit to more gears not necessarily meaning better if all they do is hunt around all the time... But that often is in the software now days.

If you note in the press release above, ZF also specializes in that arena technologically speaking. They could keep the hardware the same including number of gears, but perhaps make changes in software to keep the present highly regarded 8 speed going until the industry transition toward electric is clear or Hydrogen ICE gains "traction." The press release below hints at this. I bet they have new trannys on the drawing board maybe even a few prototypes but committing to a new one strictly for ICE engines they could be hesitating on that kind of capital investment waiting to see which way the wind blows on EV or Hydrogen ICE approaches. It is evident by the press release above that they are moving forward on EV but ICE???? It's an expensive big deal to commit to that as they did in 2011 with the 8 speed and the South Carolina plant. This press release may hint at the future of that with their "powerline" trannys for medium duty "commercial trucks." https://press.zf.com/press/en/releases/release_36480.html

We are in a transition phase right now. AND, we have Cummins in the mix also. They are working on Hydrogen ICE and can make their 6.7 work on most anything including hydrogen. A variant on all that could mate well with ZF tech and RAM could be the future. I'm thinking a ZF 8 speed "Powerline" variant of the 8 speed could potentially be on the horizon for RAM HD's mated to a turbo charged six banger "Hurricane" that Ram is already rolling out. It appears to be a very capable "platform" that can be adapted in many ways. AND, the world may be moving away from diesels...horror of horrors.
Did not Ram upgrade the HD trans for the 6.4 from a 6 speed to the ZF 8 speed with the 2019 model?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Did not Ram upgrade the HD trans for the 6.4 from a 6 speed to the ZF 8 speed with the 2019 model?
They did. And there is no reason for change people are always screaming for change then when it changes and issues have to be worked out and fixed they call it garbage…. I have seen the same pattern time and time again.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I think zf will rate one of their 8 speeds to go behind the cummins but I don’t see why they need to reinvent the wheel when they’re making the best transmission on the planet. Companies have gone from DCT back to torque converter automatics to run zf trans in their cars (Bwm etc) because it’s just the best, smoothest, strongest, most reliable transmission.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Been beaten to death.

ZF already has/had a prototype Powerline 8-speed behind the Cummins but it's at the very edge of it's torque capacity @850lb.ft. 1000 lb.ft Easy enough to find that old video on youtube.

ETA: Looks like they upped it to 1000lb.ft (torque managed). ...Still not enough to keep up in the power war.

Now that Ford has gone to 1200 lb. ft. in their new HO, you can expect Ram/Cummins to follow suit but they'll need a trans that can hold the power. Maybe ZF can step it up. Maybe they'll just beef up the Aisin. Anybody's guess.

The features on the ZF were nice; skip-shift up and down, 2nd gear unloaded starts, rolling R/D/R shifts. Wouldn't mind an 8-speed behind the 6.7.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
Been beaten to death.

ZF already has/had a prototype Powerline 8-speed behind the Cummins but it's at the very edge of it's torque capacity @850lb.ft. Easy enough to find that old video on youtube.

Now that Ford has gone to 1200 lb. ft. in their new HO, you can expect Ram/Cummins to follow suit but they'll need a trans that can hold the power. Maybe ZF can step it up. Maybe they'll just beef up the Aisin. Anybody's guess.

The features on the ZF were nice; skip-shift up and down, 2nd gear unloaded starts, rolling R/D/R shifts. Wouldn't mind an 8-speed behind the 6.7.
I didn't realize that about the Powerline.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I had forgotten that so the 5.0 under the skin changes were complete. I had had a 1500 with the 8 speed since 2015 and assumed they had put it on the HD's at the same time. My 2013 1500 had the six speed which was not a bad tranny at all. More visceral and fun in some ways like passing on a two lane at 70 mph... The 8 speeds are more...civilized...in many respects but just as quick.

jeffn

Reaction score
I think zf will rate one of their 8 speeds to go behind the cummins but I don’t see why they need to reinvent the wheel when they’re making the best transmission on the planet. Companies have gone from DCT back to torque converter automatics to run zf trans in their cars (Bwm etc) because it’s just the best, smoothest, strongest, most reliable transmission.
Porsche‘s PDK is #1 in the transmission hall of fame. It is a DCT, from ZF.

Users who are viewing this thread