Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Truck - what is this and is it "normal"

Larbohn

Reaction score
Hi,
Bear with me, since this is my first HD truck (2022 RAM Heavy Duty, full bed, dually. You will have to expand the pictures to fully see what I'm talking about. All 3 were "odd" looking things I saw on my new truck and am wondering what they are and whether they are normal. First one looks like there should be a cowling/bell housing, rather than be "open". The 2nd and 3rd ones once expanded show rough machining and/or potential gasket missing? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Larbohn

Reaction score
Pictures may be out of order

Attachments

• IMG_2664 2.jpg
    IMG_2664 2.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2664 2.jpg
    IMG_2664 2.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 87

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to pull back on some of those so folks know what side of the engine/trans they're looking at. I know it's obvious to you, but not to us.

If I had to guess, maybe the bottom of the PCM that's bolted to the side of the engine (Cummins). If so, also normal. It's a sealed unit bolted to the engine block.

This looks like a pic from below the front of the engine showing the crank pully and serpentine belt. Normal.

1683260648174.png

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The opening is an oil drain for when you change the filter. It’s a plastic tray designed specifically for this.

The other one looks like the bottom of the ECM and as mentioned, is normal.

superjoe83

Reaction score
The bellhousing to transmission case gap is normal, here is a picture of mine
20230505_083823.jpg

Larbohn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. The pulley was the serpentine belt, anyone know why it also has teeth?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The serpentine belt is ribbed but doesn't have teeth like you might see on a timing belt or atv drive belt.

What you're seeing on the back of the crank pulley is the teeth the crank position sensor reads.

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread