Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck issues

Frank

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it. New member here, just bought a 2020 2500 Cummins Laramie this past weekend. Great truck but I have it in the shop for some issues and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and how long it took to resolve.

This morning (day 4) when I shut the truck off, everything stays on indefinitely. Dash, interior lights, radio (12" screen), everything. Called customer care to trouble shoot, could not get it to stop and had to drop it off the dealer since the battery is just going to drain. They are booked so it won't get touched until the 6th and I have a camping trip on the 9th I don't want to cancel. I've seen posts on other forums from the past 2 or 3 years but none with the 12" screen and none with a clear answer that it was fixed. Has anyone else had this issue and how long did it take once the truck was touched?

The other two issues I had are minor but annoying - lost communication with a TPMS sensor 5 miles off the lot, and a second one went the next morning. And last night, hopefully unrelated to the staying on issue, I called to activate SiruisXM Guardian trial and they claimed someone else already owned my truck and I have to jump through hoops to prove I in fact own it...even though it had 10 miles on it and everything was still wrapped in plastic. They will get taken care of, but it's annoying to pay that much and have this many issues this fast. The Ram people I talked to on the phone and the service dept at the dealership (not the same one I bought it from out of town) have been real nice so far so I can't gripe about that...just really want to get my new truck back and go camping.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Sorry that happened to you. This should never happen on a new truck.

Looks like an electrical problem. The TPMS failing might also be related to the same problem.
Resolution may take some time, depending on quality of technicians and just plain luck...
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Tell the dealer you want a loaner truck equal to the truck you bought until they figure out the issue. Sorry to hear of this problem, not a comfortable feeling on a new vehicle!

Frank

Reaction score
I bought from a dealer 150 miles away because my local dealer was nearly sold out. Local dealer is servicing and Ram provides a rental car...got a bare bones 1500 from Enterprise. I'm fine with that, it was my choice to travel and nobody is trying to screw me over.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Just figured you shouldn't miss your camping trip...As long as you are happy is all that matters

Frank

Reaction score
Just figured you shouldn't miss your camping trip...As long as you are happy is all that matters

I ended up sending an email to the service manager last night, and today he tells me one of the techs saw it on the schedule and had the same idea so he opened the ticket yesterday afternoon. Computer was rebooted after being powered down overnight and configuration files reloaded and tested each system. Whether that timing is accurate or not I don't know ( I do know they have good techs that eat and breath this stuff) but the truck was ready to go early afternoon and it fixed the TPMS sensors. Since they know how to at least restore the truck to operation, I'm going to keep an eye on it in and have an express lane if it happens again. Curious if we will see a software patch like all the other screens have received that corrected this same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread