Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Truck Build 3500 Mega Cab - Air Leveling Suspension SRW (HO Cummins with 3.75 ratio)

CBK2801

Reaction score
I'm building out several different trim levels and looking at the 3500 Mega Cab. Like the Air Leveling suspension but not real clear on how it works specifically when truck is loaded. Truck looks to have a 4100# payload which when I calculate Pin weight, passengers, hitch and misc cargo totals below the payload capacity. Load wouldn't exceed the rear axle rating. Concern is if the weight in the bed. Is there a specific rating that would cause a alarm / alert in the air system?? I've had Firestone Air bag system on 3500 truck before and I could add or remove air to level system.
Thanks
PS I searched for posts containing air suspension and read through alot before posting this.

Zrojas

Reaction score
I'm building out several different trim levels and looking at the 3500 Mega Cab. Like the Air Leveling suspension but not real clear on how it works specifically when truck is loaded. Truck looks to have a 4100# payload which when I calculate Pin weight, passengers, hitch and misc cargo totals below the payload capacity. Load wouldn't exceed the rear axle rating. Concern is if the weight in the bed. Is there a specific rating that would cause a alarm / alert in the air system?? I've had Firestone Air bag system on 3500 truck before and I could add or remove air to level system.
Thanks
PS I searched for posts containing air suspension and read through alot before posting this.
There's not an alert or alarm to tell you how much weight you have in the truck of that's what you mean. If you exceed payload by a certain amount a code is set, but nothing you can see. It's for the dealer so they know if you overloaded the truck. They would probably only look if you were trying to warranty a blown bag or other damaged suspension component I would assume.

There are bed lowering modes, the bed only really lowers on the 3500 if you have enough weight in the bed. Other than that it just uses the sensors on either side to adjust the bags as necessary to level the rear.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There is an "overload" MIL on the EVIC.

1611291344052.png
1611291369507.png

It's believed to be around 500# over payload to account for suspension movement when loaded. I suspect it's when the system hits a PSI limit.
The Air system may stop working if the code is set until the payload is reduced.
"Stop working" means it will not add air to the bags to compensate for the load.

Search for Bed Lowering and/or Alt Trailer Height, there are several posts including more detail about how all that works.

If you're concerned about being on the ragged edge of payload, I recommend skipping the system and going aftermarket. Air-Lift would be my choice.

CBK2801

Reaction score
I did more research. The air bag system used on the 3500 (Air bag & Spring assembly) Mopar # 68349606AB is used on all 3500 gas or diesel. Similar to after market systems from a fitment standpoint. Same control model too. Other than gross overloading seems like the systems are okay to use over a range of load capacity. Programming may be where the overload alert / code conditions may occur.

Nick

Reaction score
I have had no problems with mine after I hook up my 5er bring up the jacks and hit auto level it will go down or up whichever to level the truck .

NDanecker

Reaction score
I'm used to a 1500 air suspension which has way more travel for hooking up a bumper pull trailer which is awesome. How much travel is on a 3500 DRW with air suspension? Wondering if I can do the same, or is it really just an inch or so of minimal travel?

Nick

Reaction score
You can totally exhaust the bags but I am not sure exactly how much drop you get .

Users who are viewing this thread