Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to the forum, not new to ram

Band1t

Reaction score
I'll be replacing my 04 2500 5.9 diesel I've been driving since I bought new. I need a 1-ton dually(5th wheel in retirement), but the talk about replacing the AISIN has me concerned. Looking to buy in mid-late 2021. If I had to buy today I would go to Ford with the higher speed tranny. All have DEF issues. Interested in what is out in the news on the tranny replacement, 2022?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'll be replacing my 04 2500 5.9 diesel I've been driving since I bought new. I need a 1-ton dually(5th wheel in retirement), but the talk about replacing the AISIN has me concerned. Looking to buy in mid-late 2021. If I had to buy today I would go to Ford with the higher speed tranny. All have DEF issues. Interested in what is out in the news on the tranny replacement, 2022?
Fords 10 speed is junk.... the aisin is a great trans

Xflight29

Reaction score
Love the Aisin, pull quite a bit and it is a work horse.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to HDRams!

I moved from an 04.5 HO 48RE I bought new that was in dire need of a trans rebuild to the 2020 HO/Aisin and am loving it.

Honestly, the 6.7L doesn't really need more gears. Would I turn down an 8-speed? No, but the Aisin is a great trans and doesn't shift as badly as some make out. with a dooley and 4.10's (assuming you're pulling near max 5th wheel) the Aisin will do just peachy.

I couldn't stomach the dated interior of the Ford, not too keen on the outside either.

At least with RAM you are leaving the CP4.2 issue behind with the 2021+. Not so with Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread