Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Diesel/Ram

Outdoordb

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am totally new to diesels. I just recently bought a 2020 RAM 2500 with 24,000 miles on it. And a new 5th wheel. (getting set up for retirement)
I know nothing about Diesels so what are the do's and don'ts of owning a Diesel. Thanks
1705354131257.jpeg

Lonestar

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the new to you truck and camper. I don’t have a diesel so cant offer up any info on that.

unclelala

Reaction score
I have a diesel but I'm certainly not your go to guy about diesels but you sure have a purdy truck. What I really want to know is the model number of your Alliance 5th wheel, it looks about the same size as my Cougar 24RDS.

JustARam22

Reaction score
Maintenance is key, they cost a good more to maintain then gas...

Every oil change also requires you change both fuel filters

Typically around 300.00 if you do it yourself
Obviously you have Def fluid which can be a diva at times

At around 65-70k miles you have to change your ccv filter

Outdoordb

Reaction score
I have a diesel but I'm certainly not your go to guy about diesels but you sure have a purdy truck. What I really want to know is the model number of your Alliance 5th wheel, it looks about the same size as my Cougar 24RDS.
It's the 26RD the same layout as yours, 28'10"

Outdoordb

Reaction score
Maintenance is key, they cost a good more to maintain then gas...

Every oil change also requires you change both fuel filters

Typically around 300.00 if you do it yourself
Obviously you have Def fluid which can be a diva at times

At around 65-70k miles you have to change your ccv filter
What's the milage recommendation on oil changes. What's the breakdown on that cost?

Outdoordb

Reaction score
Yours in a slide out? If so we liked the extra window for light and cross ventilation.

JustARam22

Reaction score
What's the milage recommendation on oil changes. What's the breakdown on that cost?
It's should be about 10k if you don't idle alot. You can find the percentage left on both under vehicle information on the dash

JustARam22

Reaction score
It's should be about 10k if you don't idle alot. You can find the percentage left on both under vehicle information on the dash
Cost break down

12+ quarts of oil
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Water separator filter

Roper46

Reaction score
Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your Ram and fifth wheel. Maintenance costs are higher but in my opinion it is worth it for the towing abilities of the Cummins. Be safe and enjoy your truck and 5er.
20220823_131030.jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Basic rules for modern diesels.

Avoid idling.

Avoid short trips and city driving.

Work them, they need to be worked for the emissions to work properly.

Use OEM fuel and air filters from a reputable source. Geno’s Garage is who I’d recommend for online purchases. The air filter needs to be a 53034051AB.

12 month, 15K miles, or when the truck tells you (whichever happens first) for fuel filter and oil/filter changes.

Lots of opinions on oil and filters. I prefer a quality synthetic 5w-40 and the Donaldson DBL7349.

DEF doesn’t last long in HOT climates, so think about that when buying it if you’re not driving it often. Either check the date code or buy it from a pump, I prefer a pump.

But mostly, just enjoy how it tows your trailer.

Are you in a cold weather state?

Oh yeah, the dealership is only for warranty work and even then double check what they do. Do your own maintenance, or go to an independent mechanic. Keep your receipts for warranty purposes.

It should be about 15K for oil and fuel filters.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Battery tender if it’s going to sit a lot inbetween towing. Tire pressure on the door jamb and tire pressure you should actually run are 2 different things.

Outdoordb

Reaction score
For the next 3 years while I am still working it’s used minimal a long trip vacation and about 6-8 other towing trips a year. I am in Maryland and it’s kept in a new pole building next to the camper. (UV is a terrible thing) I have been taking it out every weekend for about a 10-15 mile run and running it hard once its warmed up, is this better before I park it or when I first get out. I have been keeping the fuel full but was reluctant on the DEF due to I hear it has a shelf life right now it’s about half. I will probably be at 6-8k a year so should I be just changing everything at a yearly interval of just oil and filter? I have heard to run the exhaust brake as much as possible, is this true? Full or auto? I wish it remained on after turn off. And yes I enjoy how it tows, almost scarry because I don't even realize that I'm towing a 9500lb RV Thanks for everyone's response.

Attachments

• Picture15.jpg
    Picture15.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 19
  • pb.jpeg.jpg
    pb.jpeg.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 19

Bighorn18

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm new to this forum as well. My wife and I have been retired now for 2.5 years. I have a 2018 3500 Bighorn that I pull our 35' Cougar 5th wheel. We haven't done as much traveling with the 5th wheel other than Camping due to the economy, but hoping soon for the better to do some longer trips!

Outdoordb

Reaction score
Thanks, just protecting my investments. UV is a terrible thing.

Users who are viewing this thread