Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New tires

russ2588

Reaction score
I have a 22 2500 and the transforces are about ready to be replaced and i’m leaning towards the Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.50R 20 and would like to hear what you all think slash recommend instead.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I have a 22 2500 and the transforces are about ready to be replaced and i’m leaning towards the Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.50R 20 and would like to hear what you all think slash recommend instead.
Put them on a PW in stock size. Have stayed round. Smooth and sweet on pavement while good grip in dirt/rock/mud/snow. Not squirrelly towing on the light side.
Had heard on here that wet traction isn’t the best, they have spun a bit pulling out the boat while on especially slimy boat ramps…haven’t had them in deep snow or snow on pavement yet. I like em’ so far.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I want to be able to recommend them because they are good on the road, but I won’t put another set on my vehicles unless I get a great deal on them.

On road they’re good. Good ride, good life, pretty quiet. I was surprised by them recently when I backed my trailer down a steep gravel driveway. Shifted into 4 low and drove right out without any slippage.

The bad, my set is dry rotting and has been since they were 2 years old. Couple other sets I’ve looked at on trucks were dry rotted bad as well. Wet grass is kryptonite to the set I’ve had.

Maybe just the set I got but I’m going to try something different next set

Last edited:

Finn5033

Reaction score
They seem to be polarizing. Some people swear by them and other people say they are bad. I personally have never ran them because of the price. I usually source my tires on simple tire and then discount tire price matches. There never seem to be any discounts on Nitto’s. Plus I only run tires with the 3 peak snow rating because of where I live and I do a lot of ice fishing.

So far the best tires I’ve used were the Falken Wild Peak AT3w which are really expensive now, didn’t used to be. I really like the Goodyear wrangler ultra terrains. Nokian outpost all terrains were great as well. Currently using Cooper AT3 XLT, so far so good but I’ll know more after this first winter.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
When I bought the nittos, they were a great value. They were the cheapest aggressive looking tire and really the only option before the hybrid terrain tires genre popped up. They were about $1400 then and they’re about $2000 now.

Now that they’re so expensive I would rather get a tire that has a mileage warranty and better wet traction.

flan

Reaction score
I won’t be buying another set, I get a loud hum at 30mph with them, and it took several attempts at different shops to get them balanced. They’re acceptable now but with the issues I’ve had they just left a bad taste in my mouth. Traction as mentioned isn’t their strongest trait and who doesn’t want that? I read a bunch of online posts about their excellence and that’s why I ended up with them. I do like their looks. Now I’m just waiting for them to wear out...

russ2588

Reaction score
Hmm i honestly love the look of them but from the comments i think i should probably research and go in a different direction. And thanks all for the comments it probably saved me from regretting a big purchase

Dave01

Reaction score
Another vote here for Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Have maybe 25k on mine now and very happy with them in every respect. Like someone said, they really got expensive these days but my take is everything higher quality/longer lasting is up there in price now.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Someone at that company really hates sipes…
Another reason why I got them, I hate sipes….heavily siped tires chunk off pieces running high speed dirt/gravel roads. The only tires that I could keep on the Ford for more than 5k were muds featuring no sipes because it went along really quick.
Funny because it came with model specific BFGs that had extra siping and it wasted them shortly, many tread blocks gone.
Apparently this truck is not compatible with keeping muds round, so got something that will survive running fast and stay mostly round. We travel vast distance on dirt as a matter of course, they are doing well.
Also I am impressed with the compound on these, no sidewall damage yet.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The recon is a better balance Snow, Rain, Lots of road miles. Not as aggressive of a look though.
I don’t think nittos are on my radar anymore. I know they’re made by toyo but they have no treadlife warranty and they’re overpriced and underperformed.

Nittos
Coopers

edit: I’ve been corrected, some nittos do carry a treadlife warranty

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Wow thats horrible
Feb 2020 date code. You’d think they were 10 years old by looking.

I’m due for a set, clearly. If I stay at 285/75-18 I may try the new BFG HD terrain even though I’m pretty sure the at3w will outperform them at a lower price

Users who are viewing this thread