Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New synthetic winch line

Cycleman4

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a new rope? Let my buddy use my truck and he ended up dragging the hook and rope down the highway. Luckily didn’t tear anything else up. Warn replacements are really expensive.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The Harbor Freight ropes are plenty good. If you want to spend to get the best, Freedom Winch Line.

el_barto

Reaction score
3/8” comes stock, recommended 7/16”. I think 80ft is stock, I wouldn’t go longer.

Long line seems useful on the surface, but you run a greater risk of stacking line on one side too high and damaging the winch. Plus, winch is stronger with less wraps…. Less line means you’re more likely to be on a wrap closer to the drum. Use an extension instead.

There are a lot of fine brands out there. But ASR offroad sells good, rigging quality stuff.

Wobly

Reaction score
3/8” comes stock, recommended 7/16”. I think 80ft is stock, I wouldn’t go longer.

Long line seems useful on the surface, but you run a greater risk of stacking line on one side too high and damaging the winch. Plus, winch is stronger with less wraps…. Less line means you’re more likely to be on a wrap closer to the drum. Use an extension instead.

There are a lot of fine brands out there. But ASR offroad sells good, rigging quality stuff.
^^^ Everything he said. I took off the Warn Spydura line and put a Safe-Xtract line on mine. ASR sells Safe-Xtract. The line that comes on the Power Wagon is 80'. I put a 60' 7/16" line on. https://www.asroffroad.com/sx-20000a-winch-line-7-16-x-60-21-000-lb-mts/ I made the original winch line my extension.
As a side note, I was going to run it without using a hook to eliminate metal in the "closed loop" system. But, the first time I had to get the rope end off the storage hook on the fairlead while wearing gloves, I decided to put my Ultrahook back on.

beachbunny

Reaction score
I got bubba rope and deep sixed the steel cable,then I got the bubba rope extension,that with a pull pal anchor and arb pulley and I'm good

el_barto

Reaction score
^^^ Everything he said. I took off the Warn Spydura line and put a Safe-Xtract line on mine. ASR sells Safe-Xtract. The line that comes on the Power Wagon is 80'. I put a 60' 7/16" line on. https://www.asroffroad.com/sx-20000a-winch-line-7-16-x-60-21-000-lb-mts/ I made the original winch line my extension.
As a side note, I was going to run it without using a hook to eliminate metal in the "closed loop" system. But, the first time I had to get the rope end off the storage hook on the fairlead while wearing gloves, I decided to put my Ultrahook back on.
I also have the 7/16 Safe Xtract line. I haven’t had any issues with just the “hard dipped” loop, I just wedge it into the fairlead

Attachments

• F704ECCE-7DC3-4271-BFE4-A3055460DF11.jpeg
    F704ECCE-7DC3-4271-BFE4-A3055460DF11.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread