Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New (sorta) member, 4th Ram & 1st Diesel

CharlieL

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here as a new member & HD Ram owner; I've been on RamForumz since 2014. Learned alot there and enjoyed the conversations. This is my fourth Ram, but first diesel. The first two were Dakotas (1996 & 2004). I just moved up from a 2013 Laramie 1500 to a 2022 Laramie 2500 diesel. My decision was largely driven by wife's desire for more room in our camper & we've got a 5th wheel on order, which the 2013 could not tow.

Over the past couple of months I used Ram's website to build and find what I was looking for, but nothing was close to home in Albuquerque, NM. I was about to custom order, but learned with all of the shortages I could not get all the options I wanted. One, for example, is folding mirrors, which is a must as my Ram is parked in a garage - with an 8' wide door. So, I hunted around & found my Ram in Knoxville, IA. After reaching a deal, I flew to Des Moines, was picked up by the dealer, finalized the paperwork and headed home. Made it to Wichita, KS for an overnite and then on to Albuquerque the next day. Stayed on the interstate instead of taking the 100-mile shorter route through KS (done that drive many times), mainly to determine highway mpg. Over the 1,117 mile trip, hand-calculated mpg was 20.68.

First thing I noticed was the difference in ride. My 2013 1500 has the 4-corner air suspension. It rode better than my wife's Chrysler 300C! Driving along I discovered the air pressure in the tires was set to 90 lbs all around. At a fuel stop, I changed that to 65 per the driver door pillar sticker. That was an interesting endeavor, as I didn't have a tire pressure gauge or any tool. Found out the key in the fob works well for that(!) & used the TPMS system for determining pressure in each tire. While nothing will compare to the ride in the 4-corner air on the 1500, I find the 2500's ride to be quite acceptable for an HD truck. One thing very noticeable is the difference in road sound. The 2500 is much quieter than the 1500 & my wife and I can carry on a conversation at normal levels while highway cruising or in-town driving.

I'm very pleased with the 2500. It fits in my garage, has all the factory towing features I wanted, & the Uconnect v5 is such an improvement over what I had in the 2013. I prefer the 8.4 screen over the 12 & that's what I have. (My son-in-law purchased a 2020 Limited 1500 with the 12" so I did have the chance to check that out). The new nav is superb & using the "gas station" finder overlaid on the route is really great for finding diesel prices & locations.

I've already read a number of posts here about the diesel & look forward to learning more.

Charlie

Attachments

• 1996 Dakota.JPG
    1996 Dakota.JPG
    770.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2004 Dakota.JPG
    2004 Dakota.JPG
    508.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2013 1500.JPG
    2013 1500.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 2022 2500.jpg
    2022 2500.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 19

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
Nice ride, and nice color combo. I have a patriot blue night edition.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Nice ride, and nice color combo. I have a patriot blue night edition.
Thanks for saying so. For this purchase, color was secondary to options. Your patriot blue was my #2 choice, 1st was the Granite. My wife likes the Delmonico Red, and it is interesting how different the color looks in different light.

Slight correction to original post - I meant "power folding mirrors," not just "folding mirrors." The Laramie Package B includes the power-folding. The Package D that's what can now be ordered includes "manual folding" mirrors. The power folding are a "must have" for me.

For fun - attached are a couple of pics of the display. First is a few miles out from the dealership; second is when I stopped to eat. I found it great how the mpg increased over about 300 miles. It was at 16.6 when I got in the truck, with 71 miles on it.

Attachments

• Ram just left dealer.jpg
    Ram just left dealer.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Ram at 354 miles.jpg
    Ram at 354 miles.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 12

JimKIII

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here as a new member & HD Ram owner; I've been on RamForumz since 2014. Learned alot there and enjoyed the conversations. This is my fourth Ram, but first diesel. The first two were Dakotas (1996 & 2004). I just moved up from a 2013 Laramie 1500 to a 2022 Laramie 2500 diesel. My decision was largely driven by wife's desire for more room in our camper & we've got a 5th wheel on order, which the 2013 could not tow.

Over the past couple of months I used Ram's website to build and find what I was looking for, but nothing was close to home in Albuquerque, NM. I was about to custom order, but learned with all of the shortages I could not get all the options I wanted. One, for example, is folding mirrors, which is a must as my Ram is parked in a garage - with an 8' wide door. So, I hunted around & found my Ram in Knoxville, IA. After reaching a deal, I flew to Des Moines, was picked up by the dealer, finalized the paperwork and headed home. Made it to Wichita, KS for an overnite and then on to Albuquerque the next day. Stayed on the interstate instead of taking the 100-mile shorter route through KS (done that drive many times), mainly to determine highway mpg. Over the 1,117 mile trip, hand-calculated mpg was 20.68.

First thing I noticed was the difference in ride. My 2013 1500 has the 4-corner air suspension. It rode better than my wife's Chrysler 300C! Driving along I discovered the air pressure in the tires was set to 90 lbs all around. At a fuel stop, I changed that to 65 per the driver door pillar sticker. That was an interesting endeavor, as I didn't have a tire pressure gauge or any tool. Found out the key in the fob works well for that(!) & used the TPMS system for determining pressure in each tire. While nothing will compare to the ride in the 4-corner air on the 1500, I find the 2500's ride to be quite acceptable for an HD truck. One thing very noticeable is the difference in road sound. The 2500 is much quieter than the 1500 & my wife and I can carry on a conversation at normal levels while highway cruising or in-town driving.

I'm very pleased with the 2500. It fits in my garage, has all the factory towing features I wanted, & the Uconnect v5 is such an improvement over what I had in the 2013. I prefer the 8.4 screen over the 12 & that's what I have. (My son-in-law purchased a 2020 Limited 1500 with the 12" so I did have the chance to check that out). The new nav is superb & using the "gas station" finder overlaid on the route is really great for finding diesel prices & locations.

I've already read a number of posts here about the diesel & look forward to learning more.

Charlie
Are the tires and wheels on your new 2500 ones that come with the order? You mention that you reduced tire pressure from 90 to 65 psi. I'll be flying to Mark Dodge when my 2500 comes in and will drive it back to the northwest - 2800 miles. I'll definitely check the tire pressure before I head out on my long break-in drive home. I'll be retiring my 2004 Dakota when the 2500 arrives and am quite bummed out about that. I find that I am very sentimental in my elderly age. I've had the Dakota since it was new, almost 300k miles ago. Great looking rig you now have!!

CharlieL

Reaction score
Jim, yes the tires and wheels are stock. I know all too well about sentimental attachment, but you’ve got me beat on length of ownership! Looks like you just placed your order. Is that correct? I didn’t order from Marks, rather purchased from inventory at Motor Inn in Knoxville. Were you given any idea about how long till your truck is built? Where in the NW are you that you've got a 2,800 mile drive home? By the way - very good choice of color!

Last edited:

JimKIII

Reaction score
Jim, yes the tires and wheels are stock. I know all too well about sentimental attachment, but you’ve got me beat on length of ownership! Looks like you just placed your order. Is that correct? I didn’t order from Marks, rather purchased from inventory at Motor Inn in Knoxville. Were you given any idea about how long till your truck is built? Where in the NW are you that you've got a 2,800 mile drive home? By the way - very good choice of color!
Hey Charlie - Yes, just placed the order two days ago. I was told the wait would probably be around 12 weeks. Since I don't have a day-trader's mentality, I hope I don't check on the status all the time. It'll arrive when it arrives. I'm in a small county town in Washington state named Fall City. It's at the western foot of the Cascades just off I-90 a few miles. In the heart of the beast we say here now-a-days. (Read into that what you will. Needless to say, it's a breath of fresh air to cross the state line into Idaho and just about every other non-west-coast state where life is mostly back to normal.) It'd be about $2k to have the truck shipped up here from Mark Dodge, so I think flying and driving even with a few motels along the way will be cheaper. Plus, what a great way to see the county! The most direct route is about 2,600, but I'm considering heading south over to the Pacific coast and up Hwy 101. We'll see. Enjoy your new truck, big brother to the Dakota!

Users who are viewing this thread