Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Shell dripping goo on 2022 Ram 3500

SierraHog

Reaction score
D9AD6DAF-3306-4FE4-809D-FD0C8EBF35BD.jpegF0CCBDEF-A5C1-4DDF-B6BF-7AC624017947.jpeg
A52B3C46-5E4E-4D4E-9810-98BFEC5BE6ED.jpeg

I put a new shell on my 2022 Ram 3500 and have never seen this happen with previous shells. Anyone know why a brand new SnugTop Xtra Vision shell would be dripping this white goo down the sides of my truck? I’ve washed it off numerous times and it seems to return. It dries powdery. I know nothing about fiberglass.

joelp

Reaction score
the outside looks maybe like fiberglass dust that is coming out from water (maybe dew?). the inside looks like theres some sort of chemical solution that's evaporating and leaving behind the residue.

is that white stuff sticky? is that why you're calling it goo? either way, that's really weird

SierraHog

Reaction score
the outside looks maybe like fiberglass dust that is coming out from water (maybe dew?). the inside looks like theres some sort of chemical solution that's evaporating and leaving behind the residue.

is that white stuff sticky? is that why you're calling it goo? either way, that's really weird
Sorry, I was just calling it goo because I don’t know what it is. It’s not sticky. It dries pasty and it won’t stop dripping down all 4 corners.

sstoner911

Reaction score
View attachment 31574View attachment 31575
View attachment 31576

I put a new shell on my 2022 Ram 3500 and have never seen this happen with previous shells. Anyone know why a brand new SnugTop Xtra Vision shell would be dripping this white goo down the sides of my truck? I’ve washed it off numerous times and it seems to return. It dries powdery. I know nothing about fiberglass.
It looks like DEF fluid when it dries - but I am guessing its something left over from the manufacturing process - I would call the manufacture or the place where you bought it to be sure its nothing serious.

joelp

Reaction score
It looks like DEF fluid when it dries - but I am guessing its something left over from the manufacturing process - I would call the manufacture or the place where you bought it to be sure its nothing serious.
my thoughts exactly sstoner. looks exactly like dried DEF so i doubt its glass dust.

SierraHog

Reaction score
my thoughts exactly sstoner. looks exactly like dried DEF so i doubt its glass dust.
That’s exactly what it feels like it. I haven’t touched the DEF since having the shell installed. I was probably sitting at 3/4 tank of DEF when it was installed and I’m now at just over a 1/2 tank. The cap is tight on the filler. So it’s definitely not DEF splashing around everywhere. The shop was also confused. I only sent them photos because we are about 5 hours apart. They thought it might be residual polish or fiberglass dust that was never cleaned up from underneath. That’s a ton of dust! They advised to keep washing it down underneath the overhang to see if it goes away. If it doesn’t stop after a few more cleanings, back to the shop I go.

sstoner911

Reaction score
If you get a chance update is if you remember...Iam very curious now.

joelp

Reaction score
having had a few shells on trucks and having buddies that have gotten them, i've never seen anything like this. and it's not like our local shell shop is there doing some amazing job of cleaning them before install. you pull into the shop that's a dirty and dusty shell yard and they pull the shell out of the outdoor racks with the forklift, drop it on, and bolt it down.

the underneath shot leads me to think it's not dust. that looks like the deposit of something being left behind from a solution being evaporated. I live maybe 10 blocks from the beach and have never had salt accumulate like that, but if you're right on the strand that might do it?

sstoner911

Reaction score
having had a few shells on trucks and having buddies that have gotten them, i've never seen anything like this. and it's not like our local shell shop is there doing some amazing job of cleaning them before install. you pull into the shop that's a dirty and dusty shell yard and they pull the shell out of the outdoor racks with the forklift, drop it on, and bolt it down.

the underneath shot leads me to think it's not dust. that looks like the deposit of something being left behind from a solution being evaporated. I live maybe 10 blocks from the beach and have never had salt accumulate like that, but if you're right on the strand that might do it?
This made me think... @SierraHog you may want to crawl under the truck and see if there is any in indication of a leak in the DEF system. The DEF tank Will be directly in front of the fuel tank and you can see the fill hose/line easily....it be a very weird scenario however.

mcarey

Reaction score
May be a dumb question, but have you washed the hell out of the whole inside area as well? Like pressure wash sprayed it?

I'd try to clean and dry the bedrail and cap best I could, inside and out, and see if it returns. Whatever it is, it has to be coming from somewhere.

I'd be wondering if water is getting caught up under there somewhere/how, dragging out all the gunk, and that is where it all happens to be draining.

SierraHog

Reaction score

the underneath shot leads me to think it's not dust. that looks like the deposit of something being left behind from a solution being evaporated. I live maybe 10 blocks from the beach and have never had salt accumulate like that, but if you're right on the strand that

That’s a great thought but unfortunately, I live at 4000’ above sea level at the base of the Eastern Sierra in CA (I hate admitting CA and we are 30 minutes from Nevada so let’s just call it Nevada, shall we lol). I just hope it’s not something structural eroding from the shell. I’m gonna keep trying the washing thing to see if it subsides. If not, back to the dealer. Thanks for the reply!

SierraHog

Reaction score
May be a dumb question, but have you washed the hell out of the whole inside area as well? Like pressure wash sprayed it?

I'd try to clean and dry the bedrail and cap best I could, inside and out, and see if it returns. Whatever it is, it has to be coming from somewhere.

I'd be wondering if water is getting caught up under there somewhere/how, dragging out all the gunk, and that is where it all happens to be draining.
I can’t go too crazy inside as it has a snug rug liner glued to the underside. I’m gonna try washing off the crap under the rail overhang and on the bed caps like you suggested a few more times to see if it goes away. Thanks for the help.

SierraHog

Reaction score
This made me think... @SierraHog you may want to crawl under the truck and see if there is any in indication of a leak in the DEF system. The DEF tank Will be directly in front of the fuel tank and you can see the fill hose/line easily....it be a very weird scenario however.
Great idea! Looks like I’ll be pulling the creeper out tomorrow. I can’t imagine it would be leaking but I will definitely eliminate that possibility. Thanks!

SierraHog

Reaction score
If you get a chance update is if you remember...Iam very curious now.
I will definitely post updates! I was told SnugTop moved their production from CA to Mexico. They aren’t even producing fiberglass bed covers right now because of the new facility. Maybe the new manufacturing process isn’t up to their old standards. I’ll let the forum know when I get to the bottom of the goo!

sstoner911

Reaction score
I will definitely post updates! I was told SnugTop moved their production from CA to Mexico. They aren’t even producing fiberglass bed covers right now because of the new facility. Maybe the new manufacturing process isn’t up to their old standards. I’ll let the forum know when I get to the bottom of the goo!
Rub a little on your gums..maybe your topper is made of cocaine.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Ha! Might make that $4k price tag a little easier to digest!
Wow...I have only owned one topper and that was back in the late 90s for an old S10 I had .. pretty sure it was under $600....which was a lot of money for me back then

It's a nice topper...man they are expensive!

SierraHog

Reaction score
Wow...I have only owned one topper and that was back in the late 90s for an old S10 I had .. pretty sure it was under $600....which was a lot of money for me back then

It's a nice topper...man they are expensive!
They sure are!

Darmichar

Reaction score
Keep in mind, these are usually stacked and transported on open trailers. God only knows what this thing was exposed to on its trip up from Mexico.

kevlor54

Reaction score
If they didn't put something down to seal/gasket the bottom of the shell, it could be running on the bed rails and scuffing fiberglass off the topper. Then getting moisture in there causes it to drip out.

Users who are viewing this thread