Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram owner. Transmission concern

Foxspizza53

Reaction score
New 2019 Ram 3500 HO.
Towing 41.5’ 5th wheel 18k
Do all of the Ram trucks shift terrible?
Seems like 2-3-4 gears are the worse.

Squatch

Reaction score
Does high output only come with the aisin, or can you have either tranny?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Truck has never been in the shop since I bought it. So i am guessing no updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest TCM update has fixed a lot of Aisin shifting issues. That said, some are not happy with the VB6 ECM/PCM update having worse mileage and rough cold idle. I don't know if they MUST go hand in hand, but if possible you might try to get just the TCM update (W33?) and refuse the VB6.

I didn't have any choice, my Jan order 2020 I picked up middle of March had all the updates already installed.

Shifts great, mileage sucks and rough idle when cold.

Foxspizza53

Reaction score
The latest TCM update has fixed a lot of Aisin shifting issues. That said, some are not happy with the VB6 ECM/PCM update having worse mileage and rough cold idle. I don't know if they MUST go hand in hand, but if possible you might try to get just the TCM update (W33?) and refuse the VB6.

I didn't have any choice, my Jan order 2020 I picked up middle of March had all the updates already installed.

Shifts great, mileage sucks and rough idle when cold.

What kind if mileage?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind if mileage?

I was getting 11 around town, got 6.5 on my first pull setup as shown in my sig, around 16K towing, 25K Gross.

That said, I realize I goofed my tire diameter adjustment and was probably running a bit faster than I really should have been and the miles rolled are going to be off some even for my hand calc. It was a short trip so nothing that's going to make up much ground on that 6.5MPG

My 04.5 got 19-21 consistently empty and 8 towing the same setup. Truck was 1K less curb than the 2020.

Foxspizza53

Reaction score
I was getting 11 around town, got 6.5 on my first pull setup as shown in my sig, around 16K towing, 25K Gross.

That said, I realize I goofed my tire diameter adjustment and was probably running a bit faster than I really should have been and the miles rolled are going to be off some even for my hand calc. It was a short trip so nothing that's going to make up much ground on that 6.5MPG

My 04.5 got 19-21 consistently empty and 8 towing the same setup. Truck was 1K less curb than the 2020.

Yes ouch. 9.5 mpg 28,000 gross

D

Deleted member 80

The last TCM update for my Aisin reduced some of the wacky behavior, and made it easier to drive around the ridiculous 2-1 downshift I was getting. However, it made the 2-3 upshift shuddering much, much worse when pulling my toy hauler. It shudders and bucks to the point I have to back out of it. You can feel the driveline straining in its mounts. Pretty pathetic.

Foxspizza53

Reaction score
The last TCM update for my Aisin reduced some of the wacky behavior, and made it easier to drive around the ridiculous 2-1 downshift I was getting. However, it made the 2-3 upshift shuddering much, much worse when pulling my toy hauler. It shudders and bucks to the point I have to back out of it. You can feel the driveline straining in its mounts. Pretty pathetic.

No thanks i will keep it the way it is

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Mine shifts great, owned it for 2.5 months now, 3000 miles. Pull a 13 k fiver. I suggest NOT going easy, I don't baby mine at all, well the first 500 miles I did, wich I know was my choice , then 500 of towing easy to let everything mesh in good. I get between 9-11 mpg pulling 13 k with aisin 410 gear running 80 mph and around 14 mpg just running around town. I've never recieved an update that I'm aware of and mine works great. My only beef with the power train is the major dead pedal on take off only that sucks, but ram said it works as designed. Well I guess it's designed to get you t boned somewhere.

Nick

Reaction score
One thing mine does not have is dead pedal . Hit the throttle and it rolls . Just finished our first trip towing 14000 fifth up and down the Goat paths they call interstates in Cali . Averaged a little over 10 mph loaded . The fifty gallon tank is well worth the extra money. Pulled like a freight train up the Grape vine about a 9 mile 6 % grade half throttle doing 60 . Really happy with the factory air and the new shocks much better ride then my 14 . The seats are much more comfortable during a long run . Brakes are better also . Overall very happy with the performance and ride of this truck .

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
My only beef with the power train is the major dead pedal on take off only that sucks, but ram said it works as designed. Well I guess it's designed to get you t boned somewhere.
These engines shouldn't do that. Keep after em and have a seat by bones to wait fro the next re-flash. :(

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
These engines shouldn't do that. Keep after em and have a seat by bones to wait fro the next re-flash. :(
Now once your rolling and you hit the pedal, she will take off but taking off from a slow roll or stop it's like taking off in high gear. Great power and tq while driving, its just the take off that sucks.
Example: going through the campground there is speed bumps. there is one at gate that raises and lowers to let you in and out. When gate goes up and you try to scoot under it , you go over speed bump then hit the pedal and nothing, you just get that sinking feeling in your gut that the gate is going to come down on you before you get through. The rpms will pick up after 25' when truck has cleared the gate. To little to late, hence getting t boned. Not a good feeling. If fca/ ram would authorize the use of that device we have discussed that you just plug in and eliminates dead pedal, it would be on my truck by the end of the day. I know it's not supposed to affect warranty, but i don't like to take any chances. When it comes to my warranty coverage.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
You know why you feel mileage is down from earlier trucks correct? There is probably one main reason, maybe two

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You know why you feel mileage is down from earlier trucks correct? There is probably one main reason, maybe two

HO, you gotta quote for us to know who you're directing your question to.

Me?

Well, I could think of a few more reasons:
1000 lb-ft vs 600
EPA sucks
9000 curb wt vs 7900
EPA sucks
35" tires (though I was on 33's with 4.10 gears before)
EPA sucks
Speedo was OFF so I was hauling ass with 16K in tow
EPA sucks
Engine wear in

Users who are viewing this thread